Spending

Waz afcb

Fans' Favourite
Mail reporting this morning that Christie fee likely to rise to 4m with achievable add ons. Lowe 1.5 rising to 2m. Thought it was worth a thread as there seemed to be an assumption knocking about that we are ‘strapped for cash.’ Putting it into context, this makes us the second highest spenders in the league behind Fulham, joint with Stoke. We may have sold Danjuma but WBA and Sheff U both recouped 20m+ and didn’t spend a penny, with higher parachute payments too. Perhaps we aren’t that cash strapped after all?

Mail reporting this morning that Christie fee likely to rise to 4m with achievable add ons. Lowe 1.5 rising to 2m. Thought it was worth a thread as there seemed to be an assumption knocking about that we are ‘strapped for cash.’ Putting it into context, this makes us the second highest spenders in the league behind Fulham, joint with Stoke. We may have sold Danjuma but WBA and Sheff U both recouped 20m+ and didn’t spend a penny, with higher parachute payments too. Perhaps we aren’t that cash strapped after all?
We have probably cut our outgoings in wages

Everyone is cash strapped after last season tbf.....we're just less so because of parachute payments and player sales.

I know, our wage bill must still be right up there to.

Clearly have a healthy budget still, amusing when people were insinuating no money available or words to that effect.

I’d like the posters who said we are cash strapped or even skint to give their views now.
Quite simply the fact that we brought in Parker and his whole backroom staff would suggest that Max was prepared to "go large" this season. We then followed that up by being very active in the summer transfer window.
Max seems to be feeling reasonably flush at the moment, no indication that he is being stingy with his investment IMO.

Quite simply the fact that we brought in Parker and his whole backroom staff would suggest that Max was prepared to "go large" this season. We then followed that up by being very active in the summer transfer window.
Max seems to be feeling reasonably flush at the moment, no indication that he is being stingy with his investment IMO.

Yeah Parker was tge main 'tell'. No way he'd have joined if our goal was offloading high earners, bringing in mediocre cheap replacements and looking for survival.

Whilst I get the point, WBA and Sheff Utd have recouped a whole lot less than we did last season.

Having brought in over £100m in sales and moved 15+ (?) PL wages off the monthly bill spending a guaranteed £4m is welcome but more a sign of a balanced approach. If we sell, we can spend.

6m might be a decent outlay for for this season and suggest that we're looking to be quite ambitious.......but you have to factor in the fact that we spent nothing last season.......so in reality it's 'potentially' 6m spent in two seasons.

Everyone is cash strapped after last season tbf.....we're just less so because of parachute payments and player sales.
Depends what you describe as
Whilst I get the point, WBA and Sheff Utd have recouped a whole lot less than we did last season.

Having brought in over £100m in sales and moved 15+ (?) PL wages off the monthly bill spending a guaranteed £4m is welcome but more a sign of a balanced approach. If we sell, we can spend.
They also had a lot lower wage bills than us tbf

6m might be a decent outlay for for this season and suggest that we're looking to be quite ambitious.......but you have to factor in the fact that we spent nothing last season.......so in reality it's 'potentially' 6m spent in two seasons.

This... We have spent next to nothing since relegation... Wages will have been slashed significantly in the last two seasons and IMO, spending £1.5m and and £2m (or whatever it was for Christie) does not exactly shout 'big spenders... Maybe, I'm still living in pre-Covid and PL times when players of this value would almost be scoffed at...

I guess what I'm trying to say is in also in agreement with Kirsikka, in that I think Max has had his finger's burnt with Eddie's spending, and now seems in full control of a more considered way of addressing the playing side... Yes, Parker will have had some assurances, but as I've said on here before... I think he's been given time and is here for the project and not necessarily the immediate return...

... and for what it's worth, the squad we have now almost looks stronger and more together than the squad we got relegated with... So spending big money obviously isn't everything...

Last edited:
The savings on Begovic’s reported wages covers the initial outlay on Christie and Lowe’s transfer fees…. or so I read on the back of a beer mat.

Max new if he spent no money, he'd have little or no chance of getting his money back

;