Sporting achievements. Non

The events last night have got me thinking.

In all the years I've followed sport of all kinds I can't think of a more unlikely result than that of the US Open tennis.

In footballing terms it makes Leicester winning the EPL no great surprise, technically they had a 22/1 chance of winning it.

The final last night was more like Eastleigh playing Rochdale in the FA Cup final.

Anybody else think of a greater and more surprising sporting achievement than that of both Raducanu and Fernandez?

(Obviously that doesn't include Fletch's hat trick against Brentford).

No, I genuinely can't.

All my life, I've been completely indifferent to tennis. Never played it, never watched it. But last night I was glued to the screen as this incredible drama played out.

Talk about keeping your nerve under pressure ! Well played Emma, you're an inspiration to us all.

Certainly ticks all the boxes, but then when it can be predicted on this very forum in July can it actually be that much of a surprise?!

Certainly ticks all the boxes, but then when it can be predicted on this very forum in July can it actually be that much of a surprise?!

Surely that's a case of 'infinite number of monkeys syndrome'?

Look how many managers were 'in the frame dead cert, been offered the job' according to this board when we were looking for The New Eddie. :grinning:

Fantastic performance, was glued to the game (and again not a tennis fan), two teenagers playing in the final, but greatest sporting achievement ? not sure about that........as redharry said our own rise is above that ......come on Boscombe in the PL ?

Fantastic performance, was glued to the game (and again not a tennis fan), two teenagers playing in the final, but greatest sporting achievement ? not sure about that........as redharry said our own rise is above that ......come on Boscombe in the PL ?

She was 31st seed......in the qualifying tournament.

I guess thats the point. No one is suggesting that she couldnt one day win a tournament but she did so quickly. We wasted a couple of years during our rise up ;)
As some on this board demanded at the time, EH should have been sacked for not getting us into the PL on our first season in the Championship - he wasn't good enough or experienced enough apparently.................................:rofl:.

I think people are going a bit over the top about this.

Yes it is a great achievement for a 'British' women (wearing Romanian colours) but there have been a number of others winning a Grand Slam before, at a younger age.

1. Martina Hingis – 16 years and 117 days
2. Monica Seles – 16 years and 189 days
3. Tracy Austin – 16 years and 270 days
4. Maria Sharapova – 17 years and 75 days
5. Aranxta Sanchez Vicario – 17 years and 174 days
6. Serena Williams – 17 years and 350 days
7. Steffi Graf – 17 years and 357 days
8. Emma Raducanu – 18 years and 302 days

I am not a tennis fan but I know who will win SPOTTY this year, now.

Yes it is a great achievement for a 'British' women (wearing Romanian colours) but there have been a number of others winning a Grand Slam before, at a younger age.

Well if she can have the sort of career some of them had or even half of it she'll truly be a world star!

She certainly counts as one of our own.

I don't think it is going over the top to get excited about a young Brit doing really well at tennis - something we are usually crap at, it might encourage a few youngsters to put their playstation down and take up some sport.

She has the world at her feet......Already been on the cover of Vogue magazine, done a modelling shoot, and that's without the tennis.....if managed correctly she is going to be one rich woman...(y)

;