Sporting achievements. Non

I know you weren't being racist, it's just that language is so important when discussing this very sensitive issue. I'm pretty sure that mixed heritage or maybe dual heritage are both acceptable but don't quote me on that !

It's an interesting point, David. I have to say, I hadn't picked up that mongrel was particularly offensive but I see that is within the definition in several dictionaries.

Other alternatives include hybrid, but that sounds like a plant or a car. Polyethnic sounds quite good to me?

It's an interesting point, David. I have to say, I hadn't picked up that mongrel was particularly offensive but I see that is within the definition in several dictionaries.

Other alternatives include hybrid, but that sounds like a plant or a car. Polyethnic sounds quite good to me?

I was going to use Polyethnic, to be fair, but I used the word mongrel (often used to describe dogs who have various bits in them) to demonstrate that we are ALL in that category.

Unfortunately the use of that word appears to have upset the more sensitive of us (again I don't mean you David). I think the intention was different from the writer (me) than the interpretation by some readers - perhaps deliberately?

I was going to use Polyethnic, to be fair, but I used the word mongrel (often used to describe dogs who have various bits in them) to demonstrate that we are ALL in that category.

Unfortunately the use of that word appears to have upset the more sensitive of us (again I don't mean you David). I think the intention was different from the writer (me) than the interpretation by some readers - perhaps deliberately?

I know you'd be one of the last people on here to mean it in an offensive, never mind racist way. but come on, mongrel, lol. I can;t see that going down with many if you described them as that. Imagine if you mentioned that in a newspaper column after her win. I know you didn;t mean her directly.

I know you'd be one of the last people on here to mean it in an offensive, never mind racist way. but come on, mongrel, lol. I can;t see that going down with many if you described them as that. Imagine if you mentioned that in a newspaper column after her win. I know you didn;t mean her directly.

Just as an aside, I am/was actually describing myself as a mongrel! (A bit of everything - that's me!!)

AND PROUD OF IT!!

'Mongrel' cannot really be classified as in any way 'offensive' surely...it just means mixture of breeds innit ?
There are some fools that think we all came from 2 people..Adam and Eve...I mean ..f√ck me would you Adam an' Eve it ..these days..cripes...
...would you?
And ..and. ..Are some getting confused with 'mongol' which has been used in an offensive way by some lesser intelligent folk ..and there are a few thick f√ckers on this Forum that I wouldn't put that past them participating in !

I think it's one of those situations where you can use a word or phrase about yourself in a self-deprecating way, e.g. "I'm such a lazy fat so-and-so" - but you really wouldn't want someone else, particularly if they are not a close friend, to refer to you in that way.

Paradoxically, although the word "mongrel" has all sorts of negative connotations such as being of lesser breed, of lower value, etc. , so-called mongrel dogs are very often healthier and more intelligent than their highly-bred cousins.

But I still think it's a very dangerous word to apply to people.

There is a lot of talk that once Lewis retires, there will be no one to stop Max taking several titles. I think those people might underestimate Norris and Russell. The future is bright for the years ahead.
That whole generation of drivers knows just how good Russell is, just a shame that he had to spend three seasons marking time at Williams. Unfortunately time he will never get back ! Lando never seemed to be at quite that level coming up through the ranks but since he has been in F1 he seems to have made a massive step again. Two really incredibly fast and incredibly complete drivers IMO. Verstappen will have his hands full with both of them if they end up with similar equipment in the future. I really don’t see Verstappen breezing to Lewis’ current seven titles by any means, I quite agree ! Ricciardo was more than a match for Verstappen, don’t forget. He may not be as good as Red Bull think he is. For me he is very good and in a good car. I have seen nothing to suggest that he is better than either Lando or George. That whole generation ( Leclerc included ) has some very fast guys in it. Verstappen just had a slight head start on the others and will be the “old guy” soon enough !

But a really exciting generation of drivers now finally getting competitive machinery is great to see and exciting for the future.

;