Squad selection headache?

blandford_cherry

UTC Legend
2 wins, 6 points, arguably one of our best players in Stanislas out injured, our record signing not in the match day squad, added with Rico as well it’s certainly a very exciting time whilst obviously not getting too carried away.

The nice?! headache is how can Eddie currently accommodate Lerma, Rico or even Stanislas (when fit) in the match day squad at the moment? (Barring any Injuries/suspensions in the next few weeks).

Who do you drop from the matchday squad? Even if you stick Lewis Cook in for Surman or Gosling one of those 3 would have to drop out the squad for Lerma, Rico could come in and replace Francis or Mings on the bench but I can’t see him leaving Francis out.

The strength on the bench of Cook, Francis, Mings, Mousset, Ibe and Defoe is excellent but I can’t see anyway that when fully fit Lerma and Rico wouldn’t be in the 18?

There'll be a place for Lerma on the bench against Everton (and in the team against Franchise, obviously).

I don't see a problem, all the players know its a long season. Eddie isn't the type of manager to dwell on such problems. He will always play what he thinks is our best team to win matches. Who saw Brooks starting yesterday?

As infuriatingly inconsistent as it may seem at the time, the fact Eddie is prepared to not start Lewis, Ake or Jefferson until they're 'ready', while meanwhile throwing on the likes of Ibe and Brooks straight into the team just goes to show Eddie is his own man and is more interested in honing the dynamics of the first eleven to win 3 points than he is worried about price tags looming over players heads.

Many other managers would feel under threat to justify their expensive outlays from the get go (hi Manuel).

I don't think it's just loyalty - Eddie obviously feels a freedom to try quick impacts in certain roles, but not for others. I'll have a moan as much as the next person, but at the end of the day I'm so happy he's the boss and not me!

Who would have anticipated this "problem" even this time last season.

During the summer, most of us (me included) hoped to see a culling of the dead wood without a complete overhaul of our "classic" squad, and we got that, absent Harry who is still available to come back from loan.

Mings is back healthy (we hope) and we have added three players who should bring quality (again, we hope, although Brooks did look amazing yesterday). And Stan in the wings.

I am so looking forward to seeing how Eddie and team handle this week in and week out, and how we make out in Cups. Boy, it's hard to not go overboard with enthusiasm.

There'll be a place for Lerma on the bench against Everton (and in the team against Franchise, obviously).
At the expense of who?

200w.gif

Logically, if Lerma is match fit and first team ready andva genuine jump in quality then it should be for Francis.

Mings can cover LB and CB whilst Lerma apparently plays RB as well as DM.

However, Francis has been to first-choice sub when looking to tighten things up in the first two matches. So I can't see that change being made yet.

Same again next time then all-change for the Haribo Cup.

Logically, if Lerma is match fit and first team ready andva genuine jump in quality then it should be for Francis.

Mings can cover LB and CB whilst Lerma apparently plays RB as well as DM.

However, Francis has been to first-choice sub when looking to tighten things up in the first two matches. So I can't see that change being made yet.

Same again next time then all-change for the Haribo Cup.

This is my point of the thread really. He won’t drop Francis and probably rightly so after his 2 appearances as a sub. I’m guessing it’ll have to be Defoe.

;