Stanislas & Surridge

Watched this back a few times and i cannot see what other option Sam had but too shoot as nobody else was in a better position or even close enough to receive a pass. Want a striker to have a ruthless side and i hope he doesn't change his game because of this incident.
I am now looking forward to watching the younger lads in the academy all scrapping when his son doesn't pass on Sunday morning Hitting

I think if the Sam incident hadn't happened we wouldn't be talking about the Kelly incident. Kelly really should have read that pass and the way he stopped was annoying. So I'm Ok with that one.

I would have mentioned it - he had a go at Kelly and then kept on going on and on at him - not what I expect from a senior player, even if the pass was bad or he didn't read the pass properly - something definitely up with Stanislas last night. Nothing to do with passion - this was not the Stanislas we know and love. Let's hope there have been some apologies this morning.

It was a lost cause though, why would you waste your energy? As someone who plays football I would have left it once I knew the defender would get to it first and shepherd it out of play.

Also have a look at the extended highlights on COWS and some of Stan's 'defending' for the Wycombe chances. For me that is the definition of laziness, not what Kelly did. He has absolutely no right to get on his soap box. None.
It's a question of attitude and lost cause or not you make your opponent work for it....the Wycombe player couldn't believe his luck........i'm afraid if you had played in my Sunday league team we would have had words!....:grinning:
As for Stans defending......he's an attacker who puts in a defensive shift like no other forward we have....Brooks...Danjuma...Solanke....Surridge don't even come close to him....i thought that would be the last thing he could be criticised for tbh.....it's something that has been his undoing in the past as it has no doubt contributed to his past injuries and you can see that this season he's purposely not going in for any 50/50s thankfully.

It was a lost cause though, why would you waste your energy? As someone who plays football I would have left it once I knew the defender would get to it first and shepherd it out of play.

Also have a look at the extended highlights on COWS and some of Stan's 'defending' for the Wycombe chances. For me that is the definition of laziness, not what Kelly did. He has absolutely no right to get on his soap box. None.
From watching the replay, it really looked to me that even though Kelly couldn't properly receive the pass, he at least could have subsequently closed down the defender and possibly challenged for a corner or something. However, he just sort of skipped up in the air as if to say "what a useless pass, no point even trying", while the ball rolled away from him in slow-motion.

From watching the replay, it really looked to me that even though Kelly couldn't properly receive the pass, he at least could have subsequently closed down the defender and possibly challenged for a corner or something. However, he just sort of skipped up in the air as if to say "what a useless pass, no point even trying", while the ball rolled away from him in slow-motion.
It really was an awful pass ;-)

Stan spent 90 minutes playing for himself rather than the team. The fact that he then saw fit to berate in sustained fashion a young, in-form striker for having a perfectly legitimate shot on goal leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I can’t help wondering whether the Brooks ‘player of the month’ award (a bit perplexing tbh given his inconsistency) had narked Stan a bit and he was trying to impose himself as ‘the main man’.

Nevertheless, he’s apologised and has always been a perfect gentleman when the lad and I have met him and asked for pictures and autographs. Bad day at the office. Hopefully we’ll see the better Stan, and the one that passes, next game.

I think this will be a source of much banter today, wouldn’t get too worried about it. Rookie Sam telling a senior player to F off shows good spirit imho.

After last season’s disappointment with a number of star players, we need a few spikey youngsters to show some fight.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm sure that this squad will be desperate to prove that being in the Premier League was no fluke.

I think this will be a source of much banter today, wouldn’t get too worried about it. Rookie Sam telling a senior player to F off shows good spirit imho.

After last season’s disappointment with a number of star players, we need a few spikey youngsters to show some fight.

Could we have a " contains scenes of a disturbing nature" warning about Rob's video, please : )
Oh, and the Good Lady is well jealous of his nails : )

I’ll talk you through what he shouldn’t have done if we’re expecting every player to be perfect in their reactions... he shouldn’t have told him to **** off and he shouldn’t have grabbed him by the collar.
I would agree we can't expect them to play with passion, energy, so that the blood should be flowing and then have a perfect reaction.

However, where is the line and with discipline you don't cross it regardless. There seems no consequence of overstepping.

I can happily support the players taking a moral lead on some matters, but when they make a public spectacle they need to openly apologise, rather dismiss it as acceptable to deal with behind closed doors. I am not going to get into the merits of kneeling before kick-off, but if you think you are important enough to have a platform to make such a statement you can't ignore that you're on that platform for the next 2 hours.

For me that goes as far as eliminating swearing. It's one thing if you hit your thumb with a hammer, but swearing at refs, team mates, players from the stands is abuse. With people hiding behind masks it will get worse not better.

Balderdash!!!

Question - how many other ways might Sam have showed good team spirit without using foul and abuse language.

It's such a hypocrisy at the moment. The players want to be role models for stamping out certain, more than unacceptable, behaviour but happy to be abusive to each, opponents, and refs.

Sam's not the issue. Just one example in the Huddersfield game, despite the fact we are comfortably ahead it's clear at one point our leader S Cook shouts similar abuse from the half way line following the ref's whistle. I won't make up why he said it and who it was directed at, but sad fact is we make excuses for what shouldn't be accepted. Passion for what you are doing doesn't give you right to be abusive, in any way. Next time, you're down the rec, and there's an U11 game on ask yourself if little Johnny can behave the same and excuse it by saying he was playing with spirit and passion.

I also worry that with so many voices hiding behind the mask, it isn't acceptable for every TV match to just apologise for what we might hear. It doesn't surprise me people are brave enough to jeer or boo from behind the mask. If the language TV presenters are apologising for isn't acceptable, stamp it all out. Football can flourish without nastiness, full stop.

It’s a football match. People have emotions and people swear. I stood on the terraces for the first time when I was 10 years old and my dad didn’t stop taking me because of a few sweary blokes behind me in the South End. It’s all part of a match day. I’m actually fed up with the commentators for apologising all the time. The only people who could be upset are armchair supporters who have never experienced the joy of actually being there.

It’s a football match. People have emotions and people swear. I stood on the terraces for the first time when I was 10 years old and my dad didn’t stop taking me because of a few sweary blokes behind me in the South End. It’s all part of a match day. I’m actually fed up with the commentators for apologising all the time. The only people who could be upset are armchair supporters who have never experienced the joy of actually being there.

Erm and parents with young kids. :) The swearing doesn’t bother me obviously, I’ve been guilty of it at football as anyone. But there did come a point when I had to stop using the “authentic” sound option and had to use the fake crowd noise when watching it with my little one as an average episode of Mrs Brown’s boys had less swearing in it.

Erm and parents with young kids. :) The swearing doesn’t bother me obviously, I’ve been guilty of it at football as anyone. But there did come a point when I had to stop using the “authentic” sound option and had to use the fake crowd noise when watching it with my little one as an average episode of Mrs Brown’s boys had less swearing in it.

When Junior was about 8 or 9 the ticket office gave us away tickets for Southampton at the back of the stand on the dividing line between the supporters. It was like being stood in the middle of some gangland meet with phone numbers being exchanged so they could swear at each other with digital clarity. We managed to move.

When Junior was about 8 or 9 the ticket office gave us away tickets for Southampton at the back of the stand on the dividing line between the supporters. It was like being stood in the middle of some gangland meet with phone numbers being exchanged so they could swear at each other with digital clarity. We managed to move.

Invaluable life lesson in what not to do with your life though...

;