Steve Cook

That’s why we rushed through the deal and paid over the market value, to get Mepham signed in the January window, which normally Eddie so dislikes.
How was it over market value when we had higher bids rejected in the summer and Southampton were prepared to match our bid in Jan?

EDIT: Forgot that Villa actually had a higher bid accepted but Mepham preferred to play for Eddie. Odd that at least 3 teams were prepared to pay over “market value...”

Last edited:
Well it means Mepham will have a solid PL run under his belt which isn't a bad thing at this early stage. As long as there aren't risks of long term complications to SC then there could have been far worse blows to out options for the next six weeks. Which isn't a slight on SC even though it sounds like it, more a comment on the lack of options in some positions given other players that are out at the moment.

That’s why we rushed through the deal and paid over the market value, to get Mepham signed in the January window, which normally Eddie so dislikes.

Mepham is only an "average championship player" according to one of your recent posts. According to Eddie "he has come into the team and has not looked a new player, which I think is a huge compliment."

You've judged Mepham far too soon, and you have no idea what his market value is.

Here's a bit from BBC about his injury - I have known people who have had abscesses like this and they can apparently be very painful and take a long time to clear up.

"Cook, 27, spent six days in hospital in February after the discovery of an abscess on his groin.

"It was one of the worst days of my life," the centre-back told BBC Radio Solent. "I couldn't get out of bed.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47865935

What a day :cheers:

Cookie deserves a thread of his own. He was Immense and suddenly we look to have regained the composure that we lacked without him. Clearly he is a massive part of the squad, (well we knew that )but bloody hell what a turn around. The scenes at the end were brilliant. The team stepped up, with Cookie at the heart of it. They all stepped up, bloody hell it was amazing , just one of those days that will live long in the memory.

Brilliant performance, great support.

Definitely Captain - but still no chant??? There was a bit of a 'Coooooook' murmuring of a chant going on today - shall we just stick with that?

Mepham looked much more composed alongside Cookie... which is a good sign for the future.
Also helped to have Cookie back on his favoured left side too.

;