Steve Cook

Completely agree. The only time his standards ever dropped were when he missed pre season due to injury, rushed back, played through niggles etc.

Of course it’s all about opinions but to say ‘he simply isn’t good enough’ is ridiculous. He’s been very prone to groin injuries the past few years. I feel a lot more confident with him in the team than Mepham and Kelly.

Of course it’s all about opinions but to say ‘he simply isn’t good enough’ is ridiculous. He’s been very prone to groin injuries the past few years. I feel a lot more confident with him in the team than Mepham and Kelly.

I’ve said ever since the sale of Ake that I’d like to see Cook and Kelly at centre back together for a longer period for them to develop that partnership that’s so important for centre backs. I think they would complement each other quite nicely but I am beginning to wonder if we will ever see it.

Meps has more potential I think but not had enough of a run of games to build up to in past seasons. He's having a fine season so far (touch wood). I see Cook in the same category as Craig Dawson. Makes gaffs but generally solid and an attacking threat from corners and set pieces. Cookie's injury vulnerability is a factor, though.

Disagree. Our fan base is generally blinded when it comes to his short comings. A long way off the standard of the likes of Mee ect.

I agree that he's a mistake in him but I bet there are bottom half PL sides that would welcome someone of his experience as a squad player... Personally I think some of our fan base can be blinded in the opposite direction and question if players are good enough after making mistakes... Every player makes mistakes, it's just the less you make the higher you go...

it's like those that believe Dom is not good enough for us having scored 3 goals already but misses 6 or 7 chances... All top strikers miss opportunities, but the ones with the better conversion rates, go further...

if Cook had that many shortcomings he wouldn't have spent 5 years as one our main PL CBs... IMO :)

Meps has more potential I think but not had enough of a run of games to build up to in past seasons. He's having a fine season so far (touch wood). I see Cook in the same category as Craig Dawson. Makes gaffs but generally solid and an attacking threat from corners and set pieces. Cookie's injury vulnerability is a factor, though.

They all do, Cook, Mepham, Kelly even Ake will make an error. Especially when they are expected to have the ball so much and play passes as they do.

If they were all asked to play a no nonsense role and get rid of the ball like it was the plague, they all would look far more accomplished.

He’s better than Mepham and Kelly. His concentration levels are not good enough to be a regular starter in the Prem imo, switches off far too easily. In his prime he could do a job at that level but he’s not in his prime anymore. He’s not what you’d want in a centre back, outstanding on his day but incredibly inconsistent. Most clubs at that level will be looking for centre backs who can put in regular 7/10 performances, not a 9/10 followed by a couple of 5/10s.

They all do, Cook, Mepham, Kelly even Ake will make an error. Especially when they are expected to have the ball so much and play passes as they do.

If they were all asked to play a no nonsense role and get rid of the ball like it was the plague, they all would look far more accomplished.
Cook quite regularly makes errors such as switching off to lose his marker and misjudging the flight of the ball though. I’m not denying that on his day he isn’t fantastic, in fact when he was at his best levels he was right up there with the best. His issue is that he’d go from looking sublime to looking out of his depth in the space of two games.

He’s better than Mepham and Kelly. His concentration levels are not good enough to be a regular starter in the Prem imo, switches off far too easily. In his prime he could do a job at that level but he’s not in his prime anymore. He’s not what you’d want in a centre back, outstanding on his day but incredibly inconsistent. Most clubs at that level will be looking for centre backs who can put in regular 7/10 performances, not a 9/10 followed by a couple of 5/10s.

As I say I completely disagree and if nothing else he is a fantastic leader on and off the pitch and if he goes will be sorely missed.

Why would that make him Captain material?
Oddly the same question I asked when Cook was made captain. I doubt Kelly will remain captain but then my thoughts dont count as Parker clearly sees him as captain material and probably learning from Cahill in a partnership

People seem to be quick to rewrite history about him. He was practically undroppable during our 5 years in the prem and had whispers about a England call up. Yes he has the odd mistake/diving finger tip save in him but I wouldn't say he's anymore error prone than England golden boy mings.
I think he's more than capable to continue to do a job for us and do find it odd that it seems like he's been suddenly dumped out the team by the new manager.

would you care to provide examples cos I'm struggling tbh
the norwich handball and a few dodgy back-passes spring to mind but for 90% of his time with us he's been outstanding
Last season, and this is just immediately off the top of my head:
-vs Reading at home: let their midfielder breeze past him into the penalty area with a very weak effort to win the ball, lead to a penalty and a goal.
-vs Reading away- got completely fooled and put on his backside from a dummy from Joao who then scores, very naive defending results in a goal.
-vs Brentford at home- completely misjudged a routine ball over the top which let Toney in on goal, fortunately Toney fluffed his lines. It was a floated ball which should have been routine.
-vs Millwall away-completely shanks a routine clearance to create an easy opportunity for the Millwall forward, results in a goal.
-vs Sheffield Wednesday away- again misjudged a fairly routine ball over the top, striker through on goal and he resorts to pulling him down resulting in a penalty and a red card. Penalty scored.
-vs Barnsley at home- completely loses his man at a corner, not even close to him. Results in an easy header and a goal.
-vs Preston away- we are one nil up and cruising, all we have to do is be sensible and we will take the points. Cook gifts the ball straight to a midfielder who scored.

I have just given you seven examples from last season off of the top of my head, I didn’t even have to think very hard, there will undoubtedly be more. Yes, I am aware that I am a sad individual that I analyse what I’m watching to such a degree that I can recall events like this, but there you go. I’m sure posters will say, ‘well, all centre backs make errors like this.’ The reality is that they don’t. I genuinely can’t remember off the top of my head a single glaring error that CCV made that led directly to a goal/direct goal scoring opportunity last season, as an example. Watch the likes of Mee, Tarkowski, Dunk, Duffy, Cathcart et al playing for other Prem clubs. They simply don’t make such glaring errors, of course they’re not perfect but they are at a level where by they do not gift goals like this. Why do you all think Cook never got an England call up during a time where players like Lewis Dunk and Tyrone Mings were? I’m aware it’s an unpopular opinion but watch back the highlights if you don’t believe me.

;