Steve Cook

Understandable that the club want to move on high wage earners given financial constraints. However Steve cook has such an influence on the team you need players like him. I suppose SP wanted Gary Cahill to do that.

No doubt being out the team has intensified cook’s desire and motivation to do well (already high of course) - he was like a man possessed yesterday!

Having said that I think Cahill and Kelly are a better pairing. Clearly cookie is above meps in the next choice. I wonder if meps will look to move on?
Oh I hope so

Understandable that the club want to move on high wage earners given financial constraints. However Steve cook has such an influence on the team you need players like him. I suppose SP wanted Gary Cahill to do that.

No doubt being out the team has intensified cook’s desire and motivation to do well (already high of course) - he was like a man possessed yesterday!

Having said that I think Cahill and Kelly are a better pairing. Clearly cookie is above meps in the next choice. I wonder if meps will look to move on?
Just a thought, could we not play all 3 Kelly gives us the pace we need at the back

Sometimes when a new manager comes in to a club, he just doesnt fancy a particular player.

It happens. It was obviously the case here as he wasnt even on the bench.

The early season form of Cahill and Kelly made it impossible for him to get back in the team

Credit to Cooky, when he didnt get a move, he knuckled down and got himself ready for when he might be needed. I was glad when the transfer deadline passed and he was still here, as it was inevitable he would be needed at some point. And so it proved.

Exactly. Probably a mix of not being fancied coupled with relatively high wages.

Nothing personal, just the way it works sometimes.

Although cookie Probably better on paper mepham other factors usually combine to end up in these situations we re seeing play out so seemingly lesser players end up ahead in the pecking order.

I would've thought this is Cahill's last season, 36 in a couple of weeks, whether we go up or not, so plenty of room for Cook and Kelly, with Mepham and Ibsen as back up next season. I still don't rate Mepham but even I can see he's got the potential to improve.

Just a thought, could we not play all 3 Kelly gives us the pace we need at the back
It’s funny as that would make us very strong and 3 at the back with wing backs should suit us. Yet it often doesn’t work. Not sure why as conte succeeded at Chelsea with this approach

It’s funny as that would make us very strong and 3 at the back with wing backs should suit us. Yet it often doesn’t work. Not sure why as conte succeeded at Chelsea with this approach
The key to that system is the wing backs have to athletic but also creative....think we probably could make it work but sometimes you end up with CBs under no pressure but not creative enough to use the ball when you have sacrificed a midfielder who can

The key to that system is the wing backs have to athletic but also creative....think we probably could make it work but sometimes you end up with CBs under no pressure but not creative enough to use the ball when you have sacrificed a midfielder who can

both Stacey and smith look better running from deeper positions imho vs a more advanced wingback starting point. Think JZ would fit in well.

You can't change a teams formation to suit one player.

If Scott thinks his first choice CB pairing is Kelly and Cahill then so be it.

Don't forget we went 12 games or whatever it was unbeaten with this pairing.

Yes Cook has played well and has probably overtaken Mepham now but if u has to drop to the bench when Kelly is back then that's football and I'm sure he understands this.

Cookie has to be the first name in that defence now after Friday. He was courageous throwing himself in front of those shots and kept quiet all match one of the best strikers in the Championship (we have the other).

I get some people have jumped on his mistakes in the past but there's not many and 99% of the time he's an absolute rock. Name a defender who makes less mistakes at this level, you'll be hard pushed to find one.

I'm chuffed and hope he's made the penultimate question of my interview redundant. Hopefully if asked again he would assure us he will be staying! Parker would be mad to get rid of him in January!

Having Steve available to step in, or stay in, for the remainder of this season is an overwhelmingly positive thing !

He has done this promotion before ...knows the amount of aggression and vigour needed...as does SP....surely a gel between them is preferable than not !

Then ....he will probably leave in the Summer, Jobs done, Legend Status intact, and not relishing the inevitable struggle he would find in PL.

You can't change a teams formation to suit one player.

If Scott thinks his first choice CB pairing is Kelly and Cahill then so be it.

Don't forget we went 12 games or whatever it was unbeaten with this pairing.

Yes Cook has played well and has probably overtaken Mepham now but if u has to drop to the bench when Kelly is back then that's football and I'm sure he understands this.
This.

Also Fulhan was the perfect Cookie game. Backs to the wall, slow(ish) striker and deep defence. He wouldn't be as suited against counter attacking teams with rapid strikers. His distribution out of defence can be a bit shaky. Absolute club legend and superb back up to Kelly and Cahill.

5 at the back works for Chelsea as they have James and Chilwell/Alonso. Way more attacking than Smith or Stacey. For us against most teams who will sit back it just means sacrificing some creativity for another defender.

I think Cookie is probably much better playing in a team such as ours currently is, one where EVERYBODY on the pitch is desperate to win the football match.
I think the lack of effort by some in the past couple of seasons was incredibly frustrating for him. I think his frustration would have affected his performances to a certain degree.
He is a winner. He is desperate to win. I think this team, with the attitude they currently have, will probably draw the very best out of him.
At least our injury crisis has given Cookie the opportunity to show Parker in no uncertain terms that he still has a lot to offer.
Well done Steve Cook. You waited and you seized your opportunity. Now just keep it up and get us back to where we need to be ! Top of the league !

;