Steve Cook

DJ

"I'm not one of the fans' favourites and maybe every year there are calls for me not to be in the team."

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14810000.AFC_Bournemouth__Milestone_man_Cook_targets_500_appearances_in_a_Cherries_shirt/

I wonder how he's come to that conclusion?

Odd comment and sad if he believes it. I can't remember much...Tommy was the player most fans thought wouldn't make it but there has always seemed genuine support for Cook.

He has never had his name sung from the rafters like many players, including, TK and Iturbe of all people. That might make him feel it? He also has probably received a few barbed comments in the Echo online comments after errors if he reads that.

We probably need to sing Cooky a bit louder.

Who knows how much still not singing a players name affects them after they have been around successfully for a few years. He was always prone to the odd blooper but has raised his game as much as anyone

I blame his parents for a boring name that doesn't go with a lot of traditional footie name chants

He seems a bit like Pitman, in that he has a section of fans that are constantly calling for him to be dropped, but I think the vast majority think he's excellent.

I can't speak for anyone else but, alongside Ian Cox, he's my all-tmie favourite AFCB centre back. What makes him stand out is his technical ability with the ball at his feet. I can't really think of many other defenders that could score some of the goals he has for us, and that isn't even his main job.

Very sad and worrying if he thinks that. Where does that come from and do any other players think like that.

Talking of goals he's scored the one a Ipswich and Fulham were top draw.

We need a Steve Cook for England banner.

The Fulham one was class - I watched that one back afterwards and the Fulham commentator was saying how it was a fluke and he'd never scored a goal like that before in his life. He later admitted it was sour grapes and of course we knew different but it was still funny.

I remember being really excited when we signed Cookie, we had a young player with a lot of quality who we also managed to get on the cheap. Be interesting to see if he was on Eddie's leftover shopping list or if Bradders really did pick him out. I think a few wobbly periods aside (something all players have) he's been brilliant.

How do we start him a chant?!

3 is a magic number...

He was saying on Solent how normally the pressure is on players when playing at home, but our fans have helped the team at home this season for not being fickle and supported the team which has led to our third home win on the trot. Last season we only won four games at home (we won 5).

Cook also mentioned about looking forward to the team and fans moving on together in the future.

So a different slant to the above.

Anyone who's come up through 3 divisions, 2 promotions including a title win, are firm favourites in my mind! A pretty select club in Cherries history.

I assume these comments are because he gets moaned at when he makes a costly mistake, which of anyone in our side, Cook does tend to be most prone to do. He's a central defender who wants to take risks and play passes, that's what he does. But that's nothing personal, football fans like a moan.

Real shame if he doesn't feel the love - I agree with above in that his two syllable name doesn't easily lend itself to football songs. I reckon we should just add a syllable to Steve and use the old Ian Cox song - Ole ole ole ole Stevie Cook Cook Cook, Stevie Cook Cook Cook.

I think he's been very highly rated by fans apart from in some quarters last year when he was a bit error prone getting used to the top level. Interesting how he mentions about not dwelling on his mistakes. He's bang on as he was definitely one who would let a mistake ruin his game but he's improved a lot in that area as Saturday proved.

I can understand why he feels that if he's read this board ;-) Often criticised for"poor defending" and people saying he should be replaced at centre-back. Or have I imagined that?

I felt quite saddened when I read that so sent him a tweet to say he was popular with fans. Think he struggled at the start in the prem but he has improved steadily. One of my favourite players and is my son's favourite player .

Just because we could probably sign a better player in his position, doesn't mean he can't be a fan favourite though? E.g. Pugh.

No song or chant really after 5 years might give him that impression though.

RobTrent - 19/10/2016 09:35

I can understand why he feels that if he's read this board ;-) Often criticised for"poor defending" and people saying he should be replaced at centre-back. Or have I imagined that?

There isn't a player in the world that can play at their very best every game. He's going to have a few below par appearances when he's made 200, especially during that spell when he had to switch from left side of centre back to right side last season.

But it's a bit of leap to take the odd bit of criticism to not feeling your a fan favourite and for the Echo to write "Cook has relished confounding his critics to achieve a near five-year stay at Cherries".

He's been as instrumental in our rise from the third tier as anyone else, not only does he deserve a place in the current XI he deserves a place in our all-time XI for that achievement.

He played a sloppy pass against Hull which cost us a goal, but I doubt that will continually be talked about as often as when Boruc made the same mistake against Watford last season...I wonder how Cook would feel if he got as much stick as that.

DJ - 19/10/2016 09:50

RobTrent - 19/10/2016 09:35

He played a sloppy pass against Hull which cost us a goal, but I doubt that will continually be talked about as often as when Boruc made the same mistake against Watford last season...I wonder how Cook would feel if he got as much stick as that.

Seven minutes after that mistake he scored our second goal.

I guess he saw his defensive partner getting sung at every game because of the post thing. Having met him a couple of times he strikes me as a bit sensitive, and that's no dig. That self-awareness is what made him step up to the plate on Saturday, and so many times in the past, maybe possibly a slight hangover from him getting some stick online prior to signing a new contract at the start of the second Championship season, but I really hope not. Love the bloke to bits, consistently steps up and always take responsibility

...Cook has improved and still is, prone to the odd mistake, but most players are it is just that goalkeepers and defenders are under more pressure to not concede...undoubtedly Steve is a key player in our team given his experience and commitment.

...probably more of an unsung hero than he realises!

;