Strange rituals and lucky charms.

My first game was at home to Villa in Oct 71. Soon afterwards we beat Margate 11-0. Each time I was at the Brighton Beach End standing at the front behind a yellow board showing a huntsman with a pint. So I felt obliged to stand in exactly the same place for all matches as obviously some magic was going on here. For the Notts Co and Brighton games in 72 this meant turning up at 11am to get the exact place.
Unfortunately the ritual stopped working in the spring of 72 as you would know. I gave it anotherseason and then feeling rather dispirited during the 73/74 season tried the New stand and also I regret to say I missed a few games to go fishing where I had more luck. I did make a few comebacks and I recall 1976 when we were 2-0 down against bottom club Southport at one point so I moved to another spot. Then there was a bomb scare so i had had enough by this time. Then away supporters started getting unfriendly.
So during the Benson years I tried the South End at no particular spot. At least it didn't seem to matter where I stood.

Never listen to a live commentary of AFCB...we lose...or if switch on Solent thinking game has finished we concede in injury time

We always tap our brick three times as we walk in front of the reception. Also, I don't sit in my seat until the game has kicked off.

I'll be wearing the same clothes that I've worn to both games so far. Will happily take a point on Sunday. Also going to the QP before the game for the same reason (maybe). :guiness:

Going back a few years but who was it who had a dog whose toilet breaks often coincided with us scoring - was it David Whitehead? Remember a few matchday threads with people demanding he take the dog out to the garden!

1989-91 ish - always my Brother and I caught the 93 stopping service from Hinton Admiral to Bournemouth on the Saturday morning- visit John Anthony , Richmond Classics , Flix etc.....
Burger King , then a quick cappuccino at the Conservatory Cafe ...catch the 1331 from Bournemouth to Pokesdown then up to DC ...
Good times ...

Another match day mug user here but has to be in the morning, never during the match after doing it once and it all going to pot.

I did have a pair of AFCB socks that were crappy nylon and really uncomfortable, walked about 2 miles to and from the stadium in them to watch us lose 3-0 at Stamford Bridge. They went in the bin for being both unlucky and crap and I haven’t bought anything at the club shop since as it made me realise it’s all crap materials.

I'll be wearing the same clothes that I've worn to both games so far. Will happily take a point on Sunday. Also going to the QP before the game for the same reason (maybe). :guiness:

Going back a few years but who was it who had a dog whose toilet breaks often coincided with us scoring - was it David Whitehead? Remember a few matchday threads with people demanding he take the dog out to the garden!

Yes indeed, that was Bobby The Wonder Dog ! Good old Andy Sith even created a website in honour of Bobby and his magical powers.

The peak of Bobby's fame was when we were playing away at Cambridge one freezing night in January 2001. This was the game where Jermain Defoe needed to score his 10th goal in a row to set a new record.

As I recall, it was 0-0 at half-time and it wasn't looking good, so I phoned up my dear wife and told her she had to, absolutely had to, take Bobby out for a walk.

"Not bloody likely, it's pouring with rain. Why is it so important anyway ?"

I then had to explain. Rather embarrassing for a sensible grown-up man to have to admit something like this, but it had to be done. Eventually, after some cajoling and much bribery, she finally relented, as and the second half re-started, off went Bobby on his walkies.

And we all know what happened next !

Defoe duly scored on 64 minutes, Hayter added another for an excellent 2-0 win.

Thank you Bobby, you were a very special dog and a great friend to AFC Bournemouth in our times of need !

As I drive in on the Spur road, I always glance at the floodlights about where the 50mph starts. If we win I'll do it next time.

Basically I'll repeat either looking or not looking depending on a favourable result.

How stupid is that.

As I drive in on the Spur road, I always glance at the floodlights about where the 50mph starts. If we win I'll do it next time.

Basically I'll repeat either looking or not looking depending on a favourable result.

How stupid is that.

Fair play mate. I'm sure many of us have little quirks!

;