Structadene

Structadene bought the ground and leased it back to our club with the proviso we could buy it back in a certain time frame, that didn’t happen.

Without opening old wounds, if blame was to be attached, maybe we should be looking a lot nearer than London.

But it was circumstances at the time, so probably nobody is to blame.

If only this happened a lot later we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Why?

Remember where we have come from? - Bottom of League 2, and staring oblivion in the face to 6th in the Premier League - thanks in part to the investment of the current board.
How many times over the years did we wait, hoping for a "white knight" to come along and save us.
One finally did.

But now that isn't good enough for some

Some of you want jam on everything
The majority of fans I think only want what the 19 teams already in the premier league have. A decent size stadium with enough capacity to increase our fan base. I know it's a private company now but surely our present owners have at least a moral obligation to provide us with a stadium fit for purpose and for the whole community, after all we have well over 100 years of history. Eddie Mitchell had taken us as far as he could, he knew that, so he sold the club and if the present board can't take us to the next level for what ever reason, then I think they should try to sell it or alternatively, not look at short term gains.
Yes I only remember too well where we came from but I personally wouldn't want to go back their and I DO appreciate all the max has done for our club. But come on 4 seasons in premier league not a single seat added?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to know what sort of valuation they have put on the cost of the buyback.

That said why don't the club crack on with redeveloping the South stand and corners as they planned. That would be a fraction of a new stadium build and take the capacity to something approaching slightly more than tinpot.
Without doubt they could do that for less than a Jordon Ibe.

It would be nice to know what sort of valuation they have put on the cost of the buyback.

That said why don't the club crack on with redeveloping the South stand and corners as they planned. That would be a fraction of a new stadium build and take the capacity to something approaching slightly more than tinpot.
Or fifteen Leeds players if we're being like that ;-)

Or fifteen Leeds players if we're being like that ;-)

On that point, I see ER was bought back for £20 million....if SD are holding the club to ransom for more than that they deserve a degree of derision.

I say build the 4500 seater South stand...when the lease comes to an end that will surely devalue their land if they were to hoping to flog it for housing.

That aside when the lease does come to an end what are the options ...anyone know ? Could the club be out on its **************** ?

Totally, agree mate don't know what's stopping them. No excuse not to do that, now we're not going to have a new ground any time soon!
All I can say is I'm totally cynical with everything the club say now.
And I like the saying 'take the capacity to something approaching slightly more than tinpot'

It would be great to increase the South Stand to for example two tiers but I think then Structdene would then be able to increase the rent?
The other thing of course is that more away fans could attend - possibly occupying 2/3 of the South Stand?
It would be nice to know how long the lease has to run..

That aside when the lease does come to an end what are the options ...anyone know ? Could the club be out on its **** ?

Out on it's **************** (right now) would be the ideal, not the problem. Being as that would mean no need to continue to pay rent on the property. I suppose it's like we've got five kids and a two bed terrace. Thing is we have to pay the rent for another five years no matter what, and it's impossible to sublet. In the meantime, might as well pile the kids up in that one room as it's simply not worth taking on another property at this time

Out on it's **** (right now) would be the ideal, not the problem. Being as that would mean no need to continue to pay rent on the property. I suppose it's like we've got five kids and a two bed terrace. Thing is we have to pay the rent for another five years no matter what, and it's impossible to sublet. In the meantime, might as well pile the kids up in that one room as it's simply not worth taking on another property at this time
So it's 5 years remaining on the lease?

A question, our anger about the delay on the new ground. Why is Structadene immune from any criticism?

And I wondered if a fan organised protest could bring them to the negotiating table.

Maybe before the Fulham game (as they are London based) : http://www.structadene.co.uk/contact.asp
Structadene are only really doing what any business would do. If the club can't sort a new stadium whilst they are riding high in the Premiership then they never will.

IMHO Structadene took a huge risk taking on the ground when they did and I don't remember them beating off a long queue of other firms in the process of doing so!

They obviously now know that we have a multi-millionnaire owner so they would be stupid not to hold out for the best price for selling the ground back to us.

So from their point of view, how much would it cost us to build a new stadium from scratch?!

Obviously, if it wasn't for Max we would not be anywhere near sixth in the Prem now!

However, it did worry me a bit when he sold off some of his stake to our USA investors. Perhaps he was covering his initial investment in the event that we got relegated that year? Or maybe he thought that they would make additional investment on the stadium front? Maybe both?

As far as the lease is concerned I understand that it runs to around 2026?

However, there are posters on this forum who know far more about the lease and lease terms than I do.

Structadene are only really doing what any business would do. If the club can't sort a new stadium whilst they are riding high in the Premiership then they never will.
Spot on! Crazy and frustrating. I don't think any other medium or long term investors would act in this way.

The majority of fans I think only want what the 19 teams already in the premier league have. A decent size stadium with enough capacity to increase our fan base. I know it's a private company now but surely our present owners have at least a moral obligation to provide us with a stadium fit for purpose and for the whole community, after all we have well over 100 years of history. Eddie Mitchell had taken us as far as he could, he knew that, so he sold the club and if the present board can't take us to the next level for what ever reason, then I think they should try to sell it or alternatively, not look at short term gains.
Yes I only remember too well where we came from but I personally wouldn't want to go back their and I DO appreciate all the max has done for our club. But come on 4 seasons in premier league not a single seat added?
Yep if anything the capacity seems to be getting smaller each season.....

One of the benefits of an increase in capacity is of course that a ref is more likely to crap his pants before making an unfavourable decision in front of a home crowd of say 60,000 than say a home crowd of 10,000!

So it's 5 years remaining on the lease?

No I was just pulling simple numbers out. The details of the sale and leaseback have been on these pages several times, but I don't have them committed to memory, added to that the search stuff doesn't work well for threads before the refit

edit: cheers Harry, didn't see you there

Interesting piece here on the S & L back in 2005 for those that were not around back then. deal was done late 2005 so about 12 years left on lease.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2367954/Bournemouth-fighting-for-their-survival.html

Also worth noting that on the first saturday in november 2005 we lost at home to Tamworth in the FA Cup First Round this season on same saturday we are home to Man Utd in the PL. take a deep breath and remember its not just a dream.!!!:utc:

Last edited:
'Standard Life were willing to do a deal with us, but when their name came out some supporters made threatening calls and they backed off '......

I recall their interest, anyone willing to put their hands up to making those calls ? I also wonder what sort of landlord they would have been bearing in mind the stadium sponsors took over a large chunk of Standard life in 2010.

;