Summer transfers

Christie an enigma - great close control and passing accuracy until in sight of goal, then it’s as if everything becomes a blur … and the ball could go anywhere. How do you train a player with years of experience the basics of shooting? It’s a strange one.

Christie an enigma - great close control and passing accuracy until in sight of goal, then it’s as if everything becomes a blur … and the ball could go anywhere. How do you train a player with years of experience the basics of shooting? It’s a strange one.
It happens, I knew a great ball player, but putting the ball in the net was never easy.

I don't believe Christie is an out and out attacker tbh.....just as i don't believe Tavenier is an out and out central midfielder.....both players best position is as an 8 imo......two very similar players actually.....i'd much rather have Christie.

Tavenier could even play on the right where Christie does as cover. If he can play left wing back, one presumes he can play inverted right winger. It will be useful to have another number 8, so Jeff doesn't have to fulfill that role. Can we have two left-footed number 8s playing at the same time, though?

Tavenier could even play on the right where Christie does as cover. If he can play left wing back, one presumes he can play inverted right winger. It will be useful to have another number 8, so Jeff doesn't have to fulfill that role. Can we have two left-footed number 8s playing at the same time, though?

Not necessarily, some can maybe, but not many inverted wingers play at full/wing back on the opposite side.

Said it before and here I go again, SP does not appear to like signings from abroad. I appreciate 'links' can be just column filling but no links apart from about 2. Surely there has to be some talent in Europe that won't cost a fortune.

Said it before and here I go again, SP does not appear to like signings from abroad. I appreciate 'links' can be just column filling but no links apart from about 2. Surely there has to be some talent in Europe that won't cost a fortune.
Maybe that should richard hughs job, find some talent from aboard

Yes because that’s what you want from a wide forward….

Indeed. Christie needs to practise more, see a sports psychologist, change his boots.... basically do anything to improve his shooting. Parker can be ruthless and I don't think Christie will be an instant starter for long unless he starts being more clinical. Interestingly, West Ham's Antonio was scoring loads and now doesn't when in positions a lot of the time. There is clearly an element of confidence in it.

Many of Christie's shots seem to have been left foot while coming in from the right wing. He seems to have rather a slow swing and the arc his foot moves through is quite large which means no force behind the shot. Has he got a useful right foot or not?

I read quite a bit on a Celtic forum about Christie and his proposed move to us. His lack of goals and wayward shooting was an issue there too. Many thought it was the one element of his game holding him back from a move to a big club. One of the comments was "I hope the beach is a long way from the ground or there will be a lot of balls floating out to sea!" :grinning:

I read quite a bit on a Celtic forum about Christie and his proposed move to us. His lack of goals and wayward shooting was an issue there too. Many thought it was the one element of his game holding him back from a move to a big club. One of the comments was "I hope the beach is a long way from the ground or there will be a lot of balls floating out to sea!" :grinning:
Ironically when Christie shoots the trajectory mirrors that of a beach ball.

Maybe he should just kick it into the ground and hope to get a deflection/bounce to beat the goalies. I still think confidence is a factor. All he needs is one amazingly struck goal and we/he'll know he can do it. Long shot here too (pardon pun) but the way articles always talk about his dad and he often refers to his dad, maybe he hasn't fully flown the nest yet and feels lots of family expectation. All he needs is one great goal.

Maybe he should just kick it into the ground and hope to get a deflection/bounce to beat the goalies. I still think confidence is a factor. All he needs is one amazingly struck goal and we/he'll know he can do it. Long shot here too (pardon pun) but the way articles always talk about his dad and he often refers to his dad, maybe he hasn't fully flown the nest yet and feels lots of family expectation. All he needs is one great goal.
Unfortunately I don’t think it’s a confidence thing, it’s a technique thing. If he was even going remotely close with his efforts then you could perhaps put it down to confidence but in reality he isn’t. He either hits his shots with the side of his foot and they are so weak that it’s akin to a back pass, or he tries to leather it and the ball balloons harmlessly over the bar. He was incredibly fortunate to even net three last season and I’m struggling to remember many occasions aside in which he genuinely troubled an opposition keeper. He’s certainly a good ball player but I can’t see him ever scoring enough goals to justify him starting as an attacker.

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s a confidence thing, it’s a technique thing. If he was even going remotely close with his efforts then you could perhaps put it down to confidence but in reality he isn’t. He either hits his shots with the side of his foot and they are so weak that it’s akin to a back pass, or he tries to leather it and the ball balloons harmlessly over the bar. He was incredibly fortunate to even net three last season and I’m struggling to remember many occasions aside in which he genuinely troubled an opposition keeper. He’s certainly a good ball player but I can’t see him ever scoring enough goals to justify him starting as an attacker.

Look at this!

Frankly it would be an absolute disgrace if this hasn’t been identified and isn’t being worked upon by our esteemed coaching staff.
I am sure that we are looking to improve his technique but as Sleepy Cherry says, it might just take a flukey goal for all of this coaching to finally take effect.
As others have mentioned, it does seem to be the one thing which is stopping him from being a very sought after player. A typical AFCB signing. If we can get him scoring regular goals we have a huge asset on our books, but if not, he still makes a valid contribution to the team whenever he plays.
Now it’s up to our coaching staff to determine which way this one goes but either way, he’s still a very decent signing for us overall !

;