Sam Surridge

Tbf Bill I think you're obsessed with it, nobody else seems to lose too much sleep over it. We can't play 25 players every week afterall.

Yep....I need to suck back a bit...but I was starting to get excited about Surridge after Eddie used him as a sub at the end of last season...thinking this could be a breakthrough year for him..but then ive thought that about Hyndman and others !
Oh well...another time.

Last edited:
It's just about getting as many minutes as possible. I'd agree that we look a little light up front if (when) injuries strike, but he'll grow better playing every week at that level than in a Mousset role of 10-15 minutes a week if he's lucky

Yep....I need to suck back a bit...but I was starting to get excited about Surridge after Eddie used him a a sub at the end of last season...thinking this could be a breakthrough year for him..but then ive thought that about Hyndman and others !
Oh well...another time.

Having seen him a few times in pre season I'd say he needs more game time at a lower level. Fingers crossed he'll smash it for them then come back and smash it for us.

Its a great move for him and us Bill, he's not going to get the minutes here and if he doesn't play he will never progress a la Mousset. The Chalpionship is still a very good level and above our level just 7 years ago and now we are wending youth team players there.

Hayter, Arter, Fraser and Mings have all benefitted from loans and came back better players for it.

The glass is most definitely half full.

Good move for him, will give him game time in a competitive league. I thought he was the one player who looked out of place on Saturday.

On the other hand, Stockley went out on loan, scored regularly for a number of teams, but never got a chance at AFCB.
Being realistic, 90% of players who go on loan do so because their parent club doesn’t think they are good enough.

There is a slight difference with Surridge. He is going to the Championship and that is a level of football we actively recruit from. If he stands out at level, he will show himself to be better than targets we might otherwise have gone for and therefore will get his chance here.

Swans fan here. Hearing good things about the young lad. What are his main strengths? Should b a great opportunity for him.

From what I’ve seen of him I’d say he’s what you’d call a “good old fashioned centre forward”. Tall, strong and a fantastic strikers instinct in and around the box, with a decent touch as well. If he’s given chances I think he’ll fo well for you.

A good level to see if one of our own could have what it takes to lead the line in the PL. If he hasn’t but does decently there he could get offers for a permanent move to a Championship club. Money for us and a career for Surridge. Much better for him to be a starter there than second choice from the bench for us this season. Win win. Good luck to the lad !

Swans fan here. Hearing good things about the young lad. What are his main strengths? Should b a great opportunity for him.

Reality is not many Afcb fans will have seen him play that much as he has been out on loan. Scored 8 from 15 games at Oldham last season before being recalled in January to work with our first team squad in training. From the bit I have seen of him, I was impressed with his positioning; seems to find the spaces to get chances. He has a real eye for goal. But he is young so needs time to develop.,

From what bits I've seen he'll play on the shoulder of the last defender looking to nip in on any through balls, low crosses, or cut backs. Very much a 'comes alive in the box' type player. Needs service. Been training with our first team for a couple of years now whilst playing U21 games, then was on loan at Oldham for a few months last season where he scored 8 in 15.
Swansea and The Championship will be a significant step up and test for him, so I hope there's a little patience, because I wouldn't expect him to hit it off straight away. Hopefully over the course of the season he'll grow and do well for you.

Because of Surridges build (between Crouch and Kane) it looks like he can only attack crosses but he takes up good spots and moves defenders around well. Championship is a step up, but the goals are the same size so I reckon he'll do ok

I'm not sure we need one to be honest. Not with the likes of Fraser, Brooks [ eventually! ], Wilson, Danjuma....all will score goals from slightly deeper.

You just know that the moment we don't have a fourth choice striker is when Wilson and King get injured. Same thing happened last year when Francis got injured; "that's fine, as long as nothing happens to Smith..."

;