Team and Tactics for City

NWCherries98

Fans' Favourite
The home game against City last season was one of the more controversial ones I can remember, because of our approach to the game; with the sitting back and the complete lack of any kind of offense throughout; even after conceding.

Personally I didn't have a huge issue with our approach; I thought it was an impressive display of pure defending and organisation, that was undone by an unfortunate goal. I can definitely see where people are coming from when they say they hated that performance, particularly being at home, with our identity being built around expansive football and all that. So the question is, do we want to see a repeat of these tactics next Sunday, or do you want to see us go for it a bit more and risk getting spanked?

If we're going for uber defense again, I think I'd prefer it to look like this:

--------------Ramsdale--------------
Smith--Mepham--Cook--Ake--Rico
----Billing---Lerma---H. Wilson----
---------Wilson--------King---------

If we were to lean in to the counterattack a bit more, then maybe something like this:

------------Ramsdale------------
Smith-----Cook----Ake-----Rico
-------Lerma-------Billing-------
H Wilson-------King-------Fraser
--------------Wilson--------------

If we utilise our pace effectively and get our players in and around their box on the break, especially with VAR now in play, I see no reason why we can't shithouse our way to a point 3.

Ramsdale
Smith Mepham Cook Ake Rico
Billing Lerma
Fraser
King Wilson
Not quite all out camp in our box, but still putting plenty of defensive emphasis in.

I've put Rico there to have another look at him in a different type of game, and see if his defensive skills are really brushed up. Also his set pieces could be handy (if Wee Man lets him have a go), and there's no great pressure on this fixture so it's a chance for the odd experiment. Daniels can rest up for a potentially more important fixture with Leicester.

Any one of Fraser. H.Wilson or Ibe could play that link role. Basically to nip at the heels of Man City's advancing defenders / deep midfielders. Figured Fraser is the senior of the 3 so gets the nod. All 3 of those breaking in tandem when the odd opportunity presents itself.

Ramsdale
Smith Mepham Cook Ake Rico
Billing Lerma
Fraser
King Wilson
Not quite all out camp in our box, but still putting plenty of defensive emphasis in.

I've put Rico there to have another look at him in a different type of game, and see if his defensive skills are really brushed up. Also his set pieces could be handy, and there's no great pressure on this fixture so it's a chance for the odd experiment. Daniels can rest up for a potentially more important fixture with Leicester.

Any one of Fraser. H.Wilson or Ibe could play that link role. Basically to nip at the heels of Man City's advancing defenders / deep midfielders. Figured Fraser is the senior of the 3 so gets the nod. All 3 of those breaking in tandem when the odd opportunity presents itself.

My main problem with that line up is what happened against Sheff U, with essentially a cavernous hole between midfield and strikers. You've touched on this by who should play the link role; I can't see WeeMan doing that, especially given that he's not at his best at the moment.

Maybe King and Solanke together behind Wilson?

I would go 4 5 1

Ramsdale
Smith Cook Ake Daniels
H Wilson Billings Surman Lerma Fraser
C Wilson

You could argue for Solanke up front- we are going to be resorting to an upfield hoof quite a lot and he might win a few headers

I would go 4 5 1

Ramsdale
Smith Cook Ake Daniels
H Wilson Billings Surman Lerma Fraser
C Wilson

You could argue for Solanke up front- we are going to be resorting to an upfield hoof quite a lot and he might win a few headers
...agree with this, and use Solanke at some point too

I’d go with the 4-5-1. We can’t make a back three work but we need an extra man in midfield. I’d drop Calum for this one as Kings pace needed in channels.

It won’t happen though. It will be the team that drew with Sheff Utd with Daniels for Rico and H. Wilson for King in my opinion. 3-4-3 but really 5-4-1.

All I hope is we have a go. Last year was embarrassing and I never want to see it again. Like topfarrier I’d rather get well beat.

I think we should shithouse it and try for a point, they're robots and we don't have the quality to go at them, Spurs were hanging on for a point and only had 30% possession against them despite having WC players of their own. GD could come into play end of season.
5-4-1 defensive Wing Back Formation with wingers coming narrow with the aim of trying to stop KDB's exceptional passing. I'd also make few changes and rest front 3. Let's have a shot this time though even if its from halfway line.

Ramsdale
Smith Ake Mepham Cook Rico
Ibe Billing Lerma H.Wilson
Solanke

I’d just stick with our defensive 4-4-2 which against City will end up as a 4-2-3-1-0.

The key will be ensuring Lerma and Billing don’t leave any space between midfield and defence as that’s the area KDB and Silva x2 like to operate. Whoever plays the link role between midfield and attack will need to do more on the ball than against Sheff Utd and last time v City.

-------------Ramsdale
Smith----Cook-----Ake----Daniels
------Billing-Lerma-Oforbhe
--Wilson<-------------->Solanke
--------------Wilson

Defensive enough, should be solid with those three in the middle, all units, all good positionally, can all win the ball. Solanke and Harry to switch with each other, as inside forwards rather than outside, but tracking fullbacks when needed as well

-----------------------------Ramsdale--------------------------
Smith Stac Simp Cook Mep Ake Daniels Rico
-------------------------------Lerma-----------------------------
-------------------------------Wilson----------------------------

8-1-1 should do it

He does seem to get the big matches doesn't he?
I was thinking of bringing Rico in, but wondered how his confidence would be if we got tonked

;