Team and Tactics for City

In the Telegraph today....James Ducker writes...."City could put 10 past a team this season " ........:eek!::eek!:

In the Telegraph today....James Ducker writes...."City could put 10 past a team this season " ........:eek!::eek!:

And De Bruyne seems to be on fire this season. Also let’s not forget Sterling didn’t score his usual goal against us last year.

Ramsdale
Smith Mepham Cook Ake Daniels
H Wilson Lerma Billing Fraser
King​

Think we definitely need either 5 at the back or in midfield against that City team. Given Gosling/L Cook are out, and Surman is of little value when we aren't going to see the ball, I'd go for the back 5.

Set pieces are going to be key so I'd start H Wilson for that alone. Counter attacks rely on City giving the ball away which rarely ever happens (certainly didn't last time).

No point shunting King out to the wing where he rarely has a decent game. Think this sort of game suits him more than Wilson up front.

Ramsdale
Smith Cook Mepham Ake Daniels
Lerma Oforborh Billing
Kilkenny
Solanke

The reasoning behind this is because players like Oforborh, Kilkenny and Solanke get valuable minutes against a top side, albeit defending. It also shows Wilson, King and Fraser that they have competition for their places. H.Wilson might get in over Kilkenny though.

Ramsdale
Smith Cook Mepham Ake Daniels
Lerma Oforborh Billing
Kilkenny
Solanke

The reasoning behind this is because players like Oforborh, Kilkenny and Solanke get valuable minutes against a top side, albeit defending. It also shows Wilson, King and Fraser that they have competition for their places. H.Wilson might get in over Kilkenny though.
I'm fairly fresh back on this forum, but... is this a genuine comment? :unsure::D

in what way is it not, may I ask?

I won't read Sam's mind but for me you can't play three across the middle, in front of a genuine back five. There's knowing we'll be up against it and there's having zero ambition at all. Playing three in front of a four, or two in front of a five I can understand

-------------Ramsdale
Smith----Cook-----Ake----Daniels
------Billing-Lerma-Oforbhe
--Wilson<-------------->Solanke
--------------Wilson

Defensive enough, should be solid with those three in the middle, all units, all good positionally, can all win the ball. Solanke and Harry to switch with each other, as inside forwards rather than outside, but tracking fullbacks when needed as well

I would love this team, thats exactly what my son and I were discussing earlier. Can't see him playing Oforbhe though?

I won't read Sam's mind but for me you can't play three across the middle, in front of a genuine back five. There's knowing we'll be up against it and there's having zero ambition at all. Playing three in front of a four, or two in front of a five I can understand
Fair point. Didn't think of it that way

Nor would I initially, I was scouring the bench for Shaun Teale, Jason Pearce, Willo, wondering how many we could play at the back

I’m an advocate for 3 at the back for this one but one things for sure, he can’t go with the same line up as Sheffield United. Really like the idea of Solanke and H Wilson in behind CW, genuinely think we could pose them a threat with that line up while remaining solid. However we all know he will play Fraser and King behind Wilson again and that we’ll create nothing. They are both undroppable in Howe’s eyes, he’d rather put square pegs in round holes to accommodate his favourites and hope for the best than play players that actually suit the system. Would love to be proved wrong and sure I will get abuse thrown my way but it’s one of his greatest weaknesses as a manager.

;