Team v Man City

kirsikka

UTC Legend
This suddenly feels like a really difficult team to pick.

We haven't played with any sort of fluidity in the league and need to get some players back firing on all cylinders so game time could help them. By the same token, the chances of getting anything from the game are beyond slim so why risk first team players?

I know Man City have three games in a short period but even with eleven changes they *should* still stomp all over us like a kid on an ant. Occasionally the ant escapes but usually it's... splat. Will playing knock the confidence of already fragile looking players even more if they get badly exposed by superior players? It already looks like there's some kind of relegation hangover. Moreover, if an important player picks up a knock or, even worse, something more long term then JT will be accused of rank stupidity for risking them there.

I'd say this is probably the hardest line up of the season to predict. Here's my guess at the selection.

Travers

Smith Mepham Kelly Rico

Arter L Cook Ofoborh

Brooks King

Surridge

Subs: Begovic, Solanke, Gosling, Kilkenny, Simpson, Anthony, Zemura

I'd play it as a 4-3-3 but suspect JT will push Ofoborh back into defence again to stick with his recent 3-4-3 formation.

So Brooks has a blinder ..him and King score in a 5-2 entertaining game.

with City and United ogling them
..cheque books out...off they goes !

Our chance of promotion maybe goes with them !

Last edited:
For me a completely meaningless game where we are going to lose no matter what team we put out!

We don't need this game or need to stay in this competition. A complete distraction from our promotion push and more worrying the chance to pick up some more unwanted injuries!

IMO we should be looking to rest as many first teamers as possible.

Also great chance to give the youngsters another run out and a chance to experiment with various formation changes during the game!

This is a very odd start to the season because of the truncated pre-season and the lack of supporters in grounds. I would treat it as a pre-season game (with more tempo and competitive obviously).

So the key objectives are: to help players to full match fitness (where needed); to protect any players carrying niggles; to cast an eye over a couple of fringe players to help decide where they sit for the season; and to try out team shape/formation.

If JT and team do that, I’ll be happy whatever the result.

I'd love a cup run but (and this is admittedly defeatist) the likelihood of us beating Man City away is low. I'd be happier we played our reserves/wantaways and gave it everything we have against Norwich. If we beat Man City and lost to Norwich I'd be very frustrated.

Pep will put a weak team out so we should follow imho.

Simpson likes a game vs city so play him plus the kids Ofoborh, surridge, JZ, Jordan, Kilkenny. In midfield play arter and billing. Then a few 45 minute cameos for other positions. Good work out.

Travers
Smith Ofoborh Simpson Rico
Cook Arter Kilkenny
King Surridge Anthony

Dennis Cook Zemura Billing Gosling Taylor Stanislas

I think that not one of our players will expect to get anything out of the game whatever Citeh choose to put out. Let the youngsters go out and have a bit of fun and get some match time. Then get on with winning the Championship.
:utc:

Begovic (needs the practice!)

Smith (needs to captain)
Cook (needs to improve)
Simpson (needs game time)
Rico ( needs game time)

Kilkenny
Billing (needs something)
Arter
Cook

King
Surridge

subs: Travers/Zemura/Oborfor/Gosling/Mepham/Solankie /Brooks

Billing (needs something)
Definitely! Strolls round the pitch when he should be using those long legs to Harass the opposition and close down attacks .....
Don’t understand how he gets a start ahead of Kilkenny, every time I’ve seen Kilkenny play he absolutely busts a gut to get around the pitch and very good at looking after the ball too. Billing is a luxury player in a position that can’t afford luxury players.

Not sure whether even commenting on the Man City game is of any relevance.

There seems this strange fog around the Forum....lying in the valley between the quality of Danjuma /Brooks and the incompetence and lacksidaisical aura of Billing/L.Cook.
What I'm sure of is..if the Spirit that has been lost along the way...doesn't return soon to the club, the players and fans.... then we are Not odds-on for Promotion... but will be plummeting at a rate of knots never known before....too much 'talk' of how good the PLAYERS are and how good JT ISNT.... and ignoring what might be going on at Bristol City....Brentford and Barnsley...or Luton, Preston or Coventry etc.
We are Not now a PL standard team. we proved that.
We Are...what we are going to be ..as per RESULTs...
We don't know...how much JT was instrumental in Eddies success..it can't possibly be ALL down to EHs pure actions and brainpower..No....that's not how it works....Eddie had strengths, plenty...but some weaknesses too.

Given norwich is 3 days after this game, that should be the priority. But tough one, a hammering wont do too much for morale

Didn't the stats show that Billing covered a huge amount of ground in every match he played last season? The problem is his languid style belies that so when he does fcuk up like yesterday it makes it look even worse.

Also wins every near post header defending set pieces and was a very useful outlet against Man City. I was surprised we didn’t utilise that again after that performance.

The lack of information/action from the club is very disturbing, hence this forum has become meaningless with just suggestions that have no substance.We desperately need at least 3 players to bolster the squad if we are serious about competing in this league.

I don't think we have anyone coming in. That's why Eddie walked and JT took so long to decide to take the job .Hopefully I'm wrong.

The chances are that this Season will just be a farce...and might not even conclude in any satisfactory way..like the last one. With no Crowds at DC..or at best limited..its not beyond belief that we will Fold Up...along with many others.
So...I don't think its worth getting too technical about players or managers tbh...as they are just poking at the fire as it stands.

Last edited:

;