Team vs Chelsea

AFCBLawsie

New Signing
I'm hoping that this will be a typical Bournemouth performance and we somehow pull out all the stops and get a result. However, with the bad news regarding Ake and Cook looking likely to be out, that may be too optimistic.

Anyway, whatever the result, let's cheer on the lads as they need us more than ever to get out of our sticky spell.

I've got a feeling Eddie will play Franno alongside Mepham at centre-half and put Stacey at right-back. I also have a weird feeling that he'll bring Goso in for Billing as he always seems to put in a shift at The Bridge.

Also think we'll see Fraser and Arnie out wide with H Wils in behind Dom.

Here's my guess at what we'll get (not what I want)

Rambo

Stacey
Franno
Mepham
Diego

Fraser
Gosling
Lerma
Arnie

H Wils

Dom

Bench: Boruc, Simpson, Surman, L Cook, Billing, Kilkenny, Ibe

I was going start a thread on this also so here's some thoughts...

Given the lack of any concrete information as of yet regarding King, Ake, Wilson, Kelly, Smith, and probably some others I'm forgetting, I have no idea what kind of team we can expect to see vs Chelsea. Do we pack the centre of midfield; the only area that seems to be somewhat at full strength? Do we put faith in Simpson and Mepham as a partnership and stick with a flat back 4, or do we go back to 3 at the back with Francis in there? Its definitely going to be a 442. Do we drop Wilson? Do we have anyone to replace him with?! Does Stacey get a (deserved) look-in? Could we see some of our on-fire U21 players get some surprise appearances? Will a wild Lloyd Kelly appear from the wilderness? Could Ibe have a part to play?

It might've been almost exciting if it wasn't all so soul crushing. Here are some options I guess:

--------------Ramsdale--------------
Francis---Mepham--Simpson---Rico
Danjuma---Lerma--Billing---H. Wilson
----------------Solanke----------------
----------------Wilson----------------

I don't want to see this. This doesn't work. I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers as to why this doesn't work; this is just based on what I've seen in the last 5 games. If we can't put in a decent display with players like Smith, Ake and Cook involved, then a back 4 of Francis/Stacey, Mepham, Simpson and Rico doesn't fill me with much hope either. The only way this could maybe work is if we dropped Wilson for a more proactive attacker like King; or maybe if we put H. Wilson in behind Wilson or Solanke and brought someone else in on the wings. I am fully expecting to see some variation of this against Chelsea; with the consolation of maybe our previous wins against them inspiring a Christmas miracle.

Another worry I've just thought of with this back 4 is the fullback to centreback partnerships; mainly Rico and Simpson. We know that Ake was working exceptionally hard at building a relationship with Rico, learning Spanish and being very vocal on the pitch with him. Hopefully Rico has a good enough, baseline understanding of whats expected of him now to still do an effective job at the back. He looks a lot more settled now at least.

---Francis---Mepham---Simpson---
Stacey--Cook--Gosling--Lerma--Rico
-------Wilson-------H. Wilson-------

Or, we could just go really defensive. A lot of people have grown to dislike the current style we've opted for, so i could see why this wouldn't be a popular way to go, but something like this wouldn't be a complete car crash, as long as it's implemented correctly. Stacey has shown real promise as an attacking fullback so, in theory, having "the leader" Francis behind him should give him some good cover. With Rico further forward you would also be less reliant on him linking well with Simpson, and you could have Lerma there ready to drop back and support him too without losing numbers in midfield.

Then, if we're going by current form, the midfield 3 of Lerma, Cook and Gosling looks like it could be decent. Gosling has been good since his return and has IMO earned a start (plus he gets forward well and carries a goal threat from midfield that we are sorely lacking), Lerma always has to play when fit, and L. Cook looks in much better form than Billing recently. That's certainly not a bad midfield, and it gives you three players that all have different positives to work with.

Then with the two Wilson's up front... I think we should give Wilson one last chance to look like a footballer before he drops to the bench; there were signs that Harry can be an effective link man up front with some good through balls and obvious goal threat, and I think we get the best out of him in the middle. Solanke might also be fired up to score against his old club, I suppose. He certainly offers far more than Callum in general play atm, but we know Wilson can score in bursts when he hits his stride.

Plus, you also get a much more economic use of the squad with a formation like this. Instead of having 3 centre midfielders on the bench and Ibe as your game-changers, we would have Danjuma, Fraser, Solanke, Billing, maybe someone like Kilkenny. It just looks more positive. We only have two fit strikers, yet we start both of them over and over again (luckily Wilson isn't out for long); we have so many centre mids to pick from now, yet we limit ourselves to starting two of them. It's really dumb.

Francis---Mepham--Simpson---Rico
-----L Cook---Gosling---Lerma-----
H Wilson-------Wilson-------Danjuma

Another option would be to go 4-3-3; keeping the positives of a 3 man midfield while also not being quite as defensive. The issues with the back 4 remain; will we trust Mepham and Simpson together, will Francis be forced into the team at all costs; should he replace Mepham as a CB and let Stacey come into the side? Should Stacey play with Mepham and Simpson and have Francis on the bench? Dunno. Just watch out for those diagonal long balls Chris. I like this formation a lot and would like to see this against Chelsea, as I think its the most sensible choice, giving us a stornger core while still having something different to what we've seen in attack.

What does everyone else think?

==============Ramsdale==============
=======Mepham - Franno - Simpson=======
H.Wilson - Lerma - Gosling - L.Cook - Danjuma
================Ibe=================
==============Solanke===============

For me I think Ibe could offer us something we've not had this season... Emphasis on the word 'could'... Not seen anything of him this season so far, but we need something different... He could slot in the hole well I reckon...

A gamble yes, but make us hard to penetrate and give us speed up top... Regardless of Wilson being fit, both him and Fraser need to be dropped.

Could we get away with a diamond to help protect the CBs?

------------------Ramsdale-------------------
Stacey---Francis-----Mepham----Simpson----Rico
-------------------Cook---------------------------
-----------Billing-------------Lerma--------------
-------------------Gosling------------------------
-------------------Wilson--------------------------

What does everyone else think?
A long but interesting and well thought out post, cheers NWC98.
After reading all that it at least FEELS as though Eddie still has some options.
I don't really have a preference myself, I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet with the defenders we have fit and recent form suggests we are going to struggle to score goals. If Eddie shares my pessimism I would expect to see one of the more defensive formations in the hope that we once again experience a Christmas miracle at the Bridge ( i.e. somehow fluke a draw ). I think we will see a fairly conservative "try to keep it tight" setup in the present situation.

I agree Gaz.. I can't see anything but a 2 or 3-0 loss if I'm being realistic, but my heart thinks with some pace we can grab a goal... It all depends if we can grab the 1st goal...

Look at Arsenal last night... Woeful for the majority of the match... 1 goal against the run of play and BOOM. 2nd and then 3rd goal and it's Arsenal of old almost...

We can't score 1 so when we go 1 down, the players must instantly think it's game over... Get that 1st goal mind, and it gives us something to grab onto... Confidence is everything and so finely balanced...

I tell you... Ibe up top could do no harm...

It'll be 4-4-2 though with Franno at RB, Billing in the middle, Fraser on the wing and Callum up top... :sleep::sleep:

I can't believe people are going to still pick Wilson, he's been very poor this season, as he was for the later part of last season and I don't think he's even putting the effort in now.
------------------Ramsdale---------------
Stacey---Francis----Mepham----Rico
-----------------Cook------------------
Danjuma------Lerma----Gosling-----Fraser
--------------Solankie/King------------

TBH, if we get anything from the Chelsea match then that'd be great. For me, almost as important is the performance and the settling down of the side with the players that are available.
Sorry - off thread a bit :-
A most important game looming on the horizon is the Burnley match, If I remember correctly we've lost at home to them on the last two occasions and that would be a disaster for our predicament and confidence.

I agree Gaz.. I can't see anything but a 2 or 3-0 loss if I'm being realistic, but my heart thinks with some pace we can grab a goal... It all depends if we can grab the 1st goal...

Look at Arsenal last night... Woeful for the majority of the match... 1 goal against the run of play and BOOM. 2nd and then 3rd goal and it's Arsenal of old almost...

We can't score 1 so when we go 1 down, the players must instantly think it's game over... Get that 1st goal mind, and it gives us something to grab onto... Confidence is everything and so finely balanced...

I tell you... Ibe up top could do no harm...

It'll be 4-4-2 though with Franno at RB, Billing in the middle, Fraser on the wing and Callum up top... :sleep::sleep:
In a way there is an argument for saying that we should just play our most attacking formation and sod the consequences. As you say, if we get our noses in front early on it can change the dynamic of the game and dare I say it our whole team.
It would be a massive gamble though and could well see us getting humped and adding more misery to our current situation. On the other hand a convincing and swashbuckling win for us could see us escape from our current malaise once and for all.
My fear is, knowing Eddie as we do, that he will take the conservative more defensive option and I don't really expect that to go too well for us. If we're going to lose this game, let's lose it in style !

Could we get away with a diamond to help protect the CBs?

------------------Ramsdale-------------------
Stacey---Francis-----Mepham----Simpson----Rico
-------------------Cook---------------------------
-----------Billing-------------Lerma--------------
-------------------Gosling------------------------
-------------------Wilson--------------------------
If we were going three at the back, this is how I'd like us to do it. Although I'd swap Cook and Lerma as I feel Lerma playing deep is a better option for covering the wingbacks when they break forward and he'd also be more comfortable dropping into the back line than I imagine Cook would be.

I'd also have Gosling in place of Billing and then H Wilson in the no. 10 role behind Wilson or Solanke, or King if he's fit.

I thought I was going to be radical by suggesting a 5-4-1 diamond but it seems a few posters got their before me suggesting the same thing.

——————— Ramsdale———————
—— Francis——Mepham——Simpson
Stacey—————Cook——————Rico
———— Gosling————Lerma————
————————H Wilson——————
————————Solanke———————

Get Lewis Cook controlling the tempo from a deep midfield position, Lerma and Gosling providing the bite in the middle of the park and get Harry Wilson in and around the edge of the box where he is effective.

This doesn’t need to be as defensive as it looks. Hopefully the midfield shape can help us have a bit more of the ball. Our possession stats are very low this season. We need to keep the ball better and be able to string more than 5 consecutive passes together to ease the pressure on the defence. Playing in triangles (or in this case a diamond) will make this easier compared to our usual flat lines.

;