That prat Stroud

Some QPR thoughts on the ref:

'Ref has been useless, let Bournemouth do what they want all game'

'I really hope, just for once, Warburton comes out after that and tells it like it is - i.e. the other team cheated, fouled and connived their way to the three points, with the help of the ref, and that we'll have something special in store for them when they come to HQ. I'd pay his fine myself! Someone should lay Parker out after that.'

'Typical Stroud performance, Willock could have gone, let them take it in turns to foul, already booked Bournemouth bloke picks ball up and throws it into the crowd right in front of him and ignores it. Loses control completely last 15.
Usual gutless performance we all expect from him.'

'A better ref would have issued a lot more cards to them and we know if we did the same, we would get more yellows'
Bloody hell. Incredible.
They presumably would prefer the offical laws of the game changed to something like:
The referee must keep engineering Queens Park Rangers attacks until they score.

That's more or less what Stroud did!

I'd be warned to watch out for Stroud last season from a Brentford supporter and he hasn't let us down. Although his incompetence came to our rescue when he didn't give Zemura a second booking for putting the ball into the crowd. This was stupid behaviour - dribble it towards your keeper and then underhit the back heel to give yourself the time to reset, but don't throw the ball over a barrier. Pearson had just been booked for something arguably less, he could have claimed he was passing when he booted it.

Both sets of fans feeling aggrieved is rare. The only time I've seen all the fans in the ground simultaneously boo a ref was at Chesterfield 25? years ago. We'd kicked the ball out of play so they could treat an injured player, they threw the ball back to us and the ref penalised them for a foul throw saying it was taken from the wrong place. :slap:

Last edited:
Might be laughing at some of their comments, but the ref was just shite. One example was when Rogers lost the ball, pulled back their right back twice, got the ball back and we went on and had a shot at goal. Their players, rightly, went mental at the ref. He was inconsistent for both teams hence me saying in the match thread it's one of those where both teams will feel hard done by and both are correct.

Yes he is back on garden duty with his red hat and fishing rod tomorrow!
I must admit that when I saw his antics the term "small man syndrome" sprang immediately to mind. He was all about showing his authority, whether his decision was right or wrong, there was always a decision to be made and he was the man to make it.

A truly bizarre performance from the bits I've managed to watch so far !
As mentioned above, we won that one in spite of the best efforts of the referee to help QPR back into it.

Loving this new AFCB team. Flair combined with character, never lacking in spirit, always fighting until the final whistle. Let's keep this run going and the confidence building. A few more hard fought wins like this and we could easily end up with the "we will always prevail" mentality our Championship winning side appeared to have.

COYR !

How on earth did we end up with 5 bookings and QPR only 3. I was sure he would send one of ours off.
A truly awful performance by the ref. The booking for Smith for being kicked was up there with the best of them. In the second half every challenge was a free kick to them.

Might be laughing at some of their comments, but the ref was just shite. One example was when Rogers lost the ball, pulled back their right back twice, got the ball back and we went on and had a shot at goal. Their players, rightly, went mental at the ref. He was inconsistent for both teams hence me saying in the match thread it's one of those where both teams will feel hard done by and both are correct.
Agree. I thought he was just rubbish, not necessarily biased. Zemura could/should have got a 2nd yellow for sure. Rank incompetence throughout.

Probably right there .

Surprised he is allowed to be an official in your games?

QPR no doubt brought it up.

Refs have to declare which team they support, presumably at the start of their career, and they aren't then allowed to ref that team. I think. Pretty sure it was something like that.

He's a Luton fan so no connection to the club. If you start keeping refs away from matches of places they've lived it'd get challenging very quickly.

Some QPR thoughts on the ref:

'Ref has been useless, let Bournemouth do what they want all game'

'I really hope, just for once, Warburton comes out after that and tells it like it is - i.e. the other team cheated, fouled and connived their way to the three points, with the help of the ref, and that we'll have something special in store for them when they come to HQ. I'd pay his fine myself! Someone should lay Parker out after that.'

'Typical Stroud performance, Willock could have gone, let them take it in turns to foul, already booked Bournemouth bloke picks ball up and throws it into the crowd right in front of him and ignores it. Loses control completely last 15.
Usual gutless performance we all expect from him.'

'A better ref would have issued a lot more cards to them and we know if we did the same, we would get more yellows'

I didn’t like the attitude of some of the qpr players. When in Rome…

Over compensation maybe if born in Bournemouth. Surely that would be a reason for not letting him referee the match. The most astonishing thing for me was when Brooks went down after the head clash. You could see it happening before it did and Brooks was just lying there... the amount of time it took him to stop play was incredible. Should have pre-empted it... The guy totally lost control of the game. He generally blew in favour of QPR but also made some decisions that benefitted us. Not sure how much time he added on but felt like an absolute age. Seemed completely out of his depth. If Willock kicked out then was the linesman responsibility to see that and pass on what happened. The fact he booked him shows the linesman passed something on. Is there such a thing as a yellow card kick out?? In general, though, the quality of refereeing in the Championship has felt poor.

last two home matches have seen some pretty dire officiating...but I guess that is second tier standards?...mind you some pretty dodgy refs in The PL too perhaps the game has evolved but officiating them hasn't kept pace?

Some fairly soft challenges were punished last night, it is not fans fault for getting frustrated QPR obviously felt aggrieved but from what I saw they got the 'rub' in most decisions as their players just kept falling over!

Over compensation maybe if born in Bournemouth. Surely that would be a reason for not letting him referee the match. The most astonishing thing for me was when Brooks went down after the head clash. You could see it happening before it did and Brooks was just lying there... the amount of time it took him to stop play was incredible. Should have pre-empted it... The guy totally lost control of the game. He generally blew in favour of QPR but also made some decisions that benefitted us. Not sure how much time he added on but felt like an absolute age. Seemed completely out of his depth. If Willock kicked out then was the linesman responsibility to see that and pass on what happened. The fact he booked him shows the linesman passed something on. Is there such a thing as a yellow card kick out?? In general, though, the quality of refereeing in the Championship has felt poor.
...linesmen are generally just waiting for the ref to bail them out most of the time...I saw a few pulls on Solankes shirt that surely I would expect two pairs of eyes to see!

On a slightly lighter note: towards the end of the match when we were under considerable pressure and a free kick was being taken, the guy behind me was fruitily calling Stroud out. I pointed out that he was still talking to the QPR players, (about what I haven't a clue) so frustrated were they and desperate to take the kick but while he was still lecturing them the clock was ticking down, so as far I as I was concerned he could take as long as he liked.

Added time.. was 4 minutes and ended up being 6... but there were a couple of stoppages in there and we probably played for 4 mins after the 90 out of the 6.
It's why they always announce that a minimum of x minutes of stoppage time will be played.

...linesmen are generally just waiting for the ref to bail them out most of the time...I saw a few pulls on Solankes shirt that surely I would expect two pairs of eyes to see!
There were a couple of incidents that the East stand linesman gave our way and which Stroud, fully 4 or 5 times further away from the incident than the assistant, overruled in favour of QPR. That's got to be demoralising for a linesman, that your referee thinks he knows better than your judgement despite being so much further away. Also embarrassing to know you're working for a total plank of a ref, I guess.

;