That Third Relegation Spot

After the 09:00 Saturday news on Silent they kindly told us that Stains were at home to Spurs and Pompey were an evening kick off at Charlton. I had to check the paper to make sure we were playing yesterday!

Can you explain why Dyche is a "brilliant manager"

Got Burnley out of Championship...signs good value players, even got them into Europe 2nd season up, straight talker! Able to make fools out of journalists!
Because he is not manager of Afcb is not reason enough for me to think otherwise! He has dodgy periods..just like Eddie, Jose M and Klopp for just 3 examples!

Last edited:
Dyche v Eddie

Both started their jobs around the same time in October 2012.

Dyche at Burnley in the Championship.

Eddie at AFCB in League 1

Dyche record 2012-13 Championship
2013-14 Championship
2014-15 Premier League
2015-16 Championship
2016-17 Premier League - 16th with 40 points
2017-18 Premier League - 7th with 54 points
2018-19 Premier League - ??

Eddie’s record 2012-13 League 1
2013-14 Championship
2014-15 Championship
2015-16 Premier League - 16th with 42 points
2016-17 Premier League - 9th with 46 points
2017-18 Premier League - 12th with 44 points
2018-19 Premier League - ??

If you gave both equal budgets I think there would be similar outcomes....Dyche maybe better in the short term impact stakes but Eddie over a longer period.....and Eddies style a fair bit prettier!
Both managers can Equal the 'Elite' when it comes down to actual Management of Given Resources!

I hope Burnley stay up....along with Ipswich and Pompey my second favourite clubs. Dyche is a brilliant manager! ...not quite as good as Eddie but...

Poor Ipswich. My other club too. Many fans were disgruntled with Mick McCarthy even though he stabilised the club without a decent budget, so they called for his head and got it. Two managers later, this season is looking incredibly likely to see them down to League 1. Groan.....

It just shows what stability means to a club. In the Bobby Robson Ipswich era, he stuck at it with backing from John Cobbold the CEO, and after a dodgy start and calls for Robson's replacement, eventually things began to change for the good. Robson brought in excellent players (particularly midfield Flying Dutchmen Frans Thijssen and Arnold Muhren), and helped build a brilliant youth team and Football Combination (reserves) team, giving players game time experience. The system worked and ultimately took Town to heights only to be dreamed of for small towns with a population of around 140,000. The lesson is, in my opinion, don't knock lower or mid table end of season positions, as they can be built upon. It's finding a blend and maintaining stability right through the club. Conversely, bringing in too many new players (and also managers) can upset the balance of a team. It's all about blending a mixture, like a good cocktail! Several Town players came and went under Robson but once the club found a way to play, they were virtually unstoppable, winning FA Cup ('78) and Uefa Cup ('81) and almost Division 1 which failed due to an incredibly unlucky spell of injuries in the last few games of the '81 season. They got the latter under Alf Ramsey of course but that would have been a crowning moment for Bobby's team. When Bobby Ferguson (Robson's right hand man) came in to take over (when Robson got the England call) things were never the same. Then the team started to fall apart, players left and the inevitable slide down the table began.

Stability.....

Edit. I'm so sad... back to the subject of 3rd relegation spot, It's gotta be Burnley. I think Cardiff will turn it around.

Never forget Ipswichs Euro period with Robson. Ex Boscombe and Newcastle player Charlie Woods was on the staff..assistant manager or coach ? Great football ! Smaller club stuff..doesnt get mentioned enough!

So Burnley and Saints are still on the same points after Burnley’s defeat at Anfield today, with Liverpool winning 4-2. Burnley on GD are nearest to the relegation spot by 2 points, held at present by Cardiff City.

So Burnley and Saints are still on the same points after Burnley’s defeat at Anfield today, with Liverpool winning 4-2. Burnley on GD are nearest to the relegation spot by 2 points, held at present by Cardiff City.

Can’t our fans understand a league table?

Never forget Ipswichs Euro period with Robson. Ex Boscombe and Newcastle player Charlie Woods was on the staff..assistant manager or coach ? Great football ! Smaller club stuff..doesnt get mentioned enough!

Yes, smaller clubs don't get the credit they deserve Bill. When you think what they're up against. These days it's even harder of course for little clubs to achieve success with all the money that's thrown about.

Charlie Woods. Brilliant FA youth coach and got them to win the FA Youth Cup. He coached the likes of George Burley, Clive Woods, Kevin Beattie (RIP) - best centre half of his day and a fair few others that became pivotal in that fabulous side..... Also joined Bobby Robson as scout at Newcastle when Robson went there.

Heating up now, wouldn't want either of these two run ins:

BURNLEY: (31 games, 30 points)
Wolves (a)
Bournemouth (a)
Cardiff (h)
Chelsea (a)
Man C (h)
Everton (a)
Arsenal (h)

CARDIFF: (30 games, 28 points)
Brighton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Man C (a)
Burnley (a)
Liverpool (h)
Fulham (a)
Palace (h)
Man Utd (a)

To be honest, I can't see Burnley doing any more than perhaps beating Cardiff, given the run they're on, and they may only get 1 point from their last seven games

Can Cardiff beat two out of Brighton, Palace and Fulham? Brighton concentrating on the cup and safe in the league, Fulham already down?

Let’s not throw Saints out the mix!

Brighton (a)
Liverpool (h)
Wolves (h)
Newcastle (a)
Us (h)
West Ham (a)
Huddersfield (h)

And Watford (a) to be played at some point.

Last edited:
Heating up now, wouldn't want either of these two run ins:

BURNLEY: (31 games, 30 points)
Wolves (a)
Bournemouth (a)
Cardiff (h)
Chelsea (a)
Man C (h)
Everton (a)
Arsenal (h)

CARDIFF: (30 games, 28 points)
Brighton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Man C (a)
Burnley (a)
Liverpool (h)
Fulham (a)
Palace (h)
Man Utd (a)

To be honest, I can't see Burnley doing any more than perhaps beating Cardiff, given the run they're on, and they may only get 1 point from their last seven games

Can Cardiff beat two out of Brighton, Palace and Fulham? Brighton concentrating on the cup and safe in the league, Fulham already down?

I think you are under estimating Burnleys away form. 13 points from 16 games.

Let’s now throw Saints out the mix!

Brighton (a)
Liverpool (h)
Wolves (h)
Newcastle (a)
Us (h)
West Ham (a)
Huddersfield (h)

And Watford (a) to be played at some point.

pity spurs were so bad at their place a week or so ago otherwise they'd be right in the mix
sadly they'll have just enough to stay up [again!] especially with the three points guaranteed when we visit
another season of their "its not a derby" bo11ocks

Yes can't see past the current bottom 3. Would prefer one of them to stay up to make next season easier, but seems unlikely

;