The Never Ending Jukebox Track Three

Music is a very strange thing. Apropos of nothing at all, I found myself singing this song to myself yesterday, hadn't heard it in many years. A brilliant guitar player, RIP

And that led me to thinking about another cheery little ditty about the times we lived in during the 70's and 80's:

Saw Greg Lake and Gary Moore at the Winter Gardens on the tour to promote this album. What a night, two fantastic players doing what they do in a hot, smoky, packed auditorium, 17-year-old me stood front and centre loving every second and going home with a couple of Gary Moore's plectrums (plectra?)

It is very likely that I was at the same Strawbs concerts in the Winter Gardens.

Some chords from that tune resurfaced ayear later in this one:

Mel Bush was the big promoter back then.
All the big bands were appearing there.
Another good place to see up and coming bands play was the Hive.

1617721395783.png

It is very likely that I was at the same Strawbs concerts in the Winter Gardens.

They were very Genesis-like on Grave New world. Some chords from that tune resurfaced a year later in this one:

My first 'gig' was at the Winter Gardens - perhaps 1970? Enjoyable.

Bournemouth Town Hall was another place to watch bands.
I saw this band there. The Pirates.
Mick Green could play
rhythm and lead at the same time.
Many have him as their favourite guitarist, Wilko amongst them.

Several now defunct venues in the greater Waterloo Estate area (sometimes known as east Dorset or BCP) have been mentioned. Anyone recall when Poole Tech hosted gigs?

Best band I saw there:

The Village Bowl the place to go to if you liked Punk Rock.
I went there twice a week.
Lost my early morning job because of it.

https://www.nickchurchill.org.uk/bournemouths-bowl-of-music-magic/

View attachment 5470

Probably my favourite 'local' venue ever.

Fantastic times for a young music fan prepared to give anything a go.

Punk just blew me away.

Within a few weeks of going to the Bowl regularly I had The Clash next to Crosby Stills Nash and Young and The Stranglers next to Steely Dan in my record collection.

;