The Never Ending Jukebox Track Three

Probably my favourite 'local' venue ever.

Fantastic times for a young music fan prepared to give anything a go.

Punk just blew me away.

Within a few weeks of going to the Bowl regularly I had The Clash next to Crosby Stills Nash and Young and The Stranglers next to Steely Dan in my record collection.
My first ever gig was at the Village Bowl for the Stranglers in September '78.
The support was the Skids and so they were the first band proper I ever saw.
This was the song that got us all going Albert Tatlock.

I see radio 2 are now playing 'appropriate' music in 'tribute' to Phil the Greek all bloody weekend, here's some suggestions from me.

The Thin White Duke.

Sir Duke, if you're watching this Phil; that's what the inside of a tube train looks like.

and best of all, the Asbury Dukes.

Wonderful live, especially if you couldn't get Springsteen tickets. :grinning:

The Village Bowl the place to go to if you liked Punk Rock.
I went there twice a week.
Lost my early morning job because of it.

https://www.nickchurchill.org.uk/bournemouths-bowl-of-music-magic/

View attachment 5470
Good times! That was the cancelled gig IIRC??
Saw AC/DC twice,Spizz supporting Siouxsie,Sham 69,Damned,Clash
Southampton punk band (Stop Press?) as support band (The Jam?) bringing in "friends" got a bit leery!
Wilko's Solid Sender played in the
night club area to about 50 people!

I see radio 2 are now playing 'appropriate' music in 'tribute' to Phil the Greek all bloody weekend, here's some suggestions from me.

The Thin White Duke.

Sir Duke, if you're watching this Phil; that's what the inside of a tube train looks like.

Southside Johnny supporting Graham Parker at the Winter Garden got an encore!

Have seen SSJ a number of times. Was a great show, even as recently as 10 years ago, but last time he was not quite up to it. Still, a massive talent who got absolutely screwed over by management and the industry.
Thanks for posting, KBG,

finally fulfilled a long standing ambition a couple of years ago by going to The Stone Pony in Asbury Park NJ.
Springsteen and Southside Johnny having been house bands in the past. Still a great place for a beer and some music.
Spent many a summer in south New Jersey in the 70's, it was a great beach about 9 hour drive from Montreal. Bars with live music on every corner. Drinking age was 18 back then, so all the college kids from Philly (where it was 21) would come down on the weekends. Great bands playing Stevie Wonder, J Geils, Bruce, Stones, so much more. Good days, glad I can still remember them!!

;