The Never Ending Jukebox, track two.

When I saw "Picnic" above, I thought it was going to be a reference to the 1950s movie theme. Which then put me in mind of this guy, and the these Polydor albums in my basement. The vagaries of my music tastes ....

Happy Hallowe'en from the King of Pop. The full version, because why not. Dance scenes around minute 8.

I remember when this came out, there were parties just to watch the video!

When I saw "Picnic" above, I thought it was going to be a reference to the 1950s movie theme. Which then put me in mind of this guy, and the these Polydor albums in my basement. The vagaries of my music tastes ....

Attachments

• Picnic.jpg
    Picnic.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks SA. We had compilation albums over here in the 70s, typically a mix of well known bands playing semi-obscure tracks and lesser known bands. Don't remember ever hearing about "samplers" as such. I looked this one up and see that it was re-released in 2007 as "a retrospective compilation, rather than a promotional sampler". Almost worth having a look next time I'm in the used CD shop.

Here's a guy whose middle name was fortuitous for someone who became a musician : )

Saw him at Chelsea village/ stateside centre back along. Terrific gig. 'ain't that a bitch' tour. Gig ended. People left. JGW came back out with the band. About 12 of us left. He asked what we would like to hear as an encore.

Class.

Time for some Dan Reeder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Reeder_(musician)

Discovered by, and wrongly compared to, John Prine.

Reeder sent him a demo and Prine gave him his first record deal, at the age of 50.

He's what Prine should have become, if Prine hadn't run out of things to say.
Like Prine and others such as Bonnie Raitt, his four albums to date are very mixed, 10% songs that blow you away, 50% that are real good and 40% that are a bit ho hum.

If you like what you hear, download all four albums and make one absolutely blinding compilation album of bits that take your fancy.

Basically, lots of little short stories written by an old bloke, many about being old and death. :grinning:
Especially 2010's This New Century.

Last edited:

;