The Never Ending Jukebox, track two.

Two nights, two shows .... getting far too old for this.

Lots said about Slash on this forum, much of it by me, he has his critics but it is a great show for guitar-based rock fans.

Great fun to see Slash using the double neck on this one. And an excellent vocal by Myles.

This one is more about the story than the actual track so bear with me. The names involved may be more familiar to those of a slightly older vintage. I'll be honest, I genuinely have no idea how well known the main protagonists were at height of their fame, all I know is this story filled out with a little help from wikipedia etc.

Way back when the 60s were swinging and before my Dad met my Mum I get the impression he was, shall we say, enjoying life in London. Through a club he was working at he got to know a singer by the name of Vince Edwards. Wiki has him as J. Vincent Edwards but Dad always referred to him as just Vince so that's what I'll use here.

They become friends and at some point the group Vince was part of, The Answers, were due to cut a single called 'That's What You're Doing To Me'. However, come the day of recording the bass player was, shall we say, indisposed. In desperate need of a stand in and knowing my Dad played a bit of rhythm guitar he asked if he would fill in. My Dad said he'd never played bass before but Vince told him it was a simple track and was sure he could do it. They rehearsed for a couple of hours and my dad ended up playing bass on the single.

Not a lot happened with that track but the only other single from The Answers track (sans my Dad) called 'Just A Fear' definitely appears to have garnered some attention.

When The Answers broke up, their guitarist Tony Hill went on to join an apparently very influential band called The Misunderstood, managed by a certain John Peel before he was a dj. Meanwhile Vince went on to become well known for starring in the musical Hair and released a series of singles.

My Dad never actually had a copy of the track he played on but when suffering from ill health a few years back told me the story and asked if I could use that new fangled internet thingy to find a copy for him. I did manage to get in contact with someone looking after Tony Hill's stuff and they told me, in a very nice way, I'd find it next to the rocking horse ****************. Then, after a few years, I finally found a collector with a copy who very kindly emailed me an mp3. Happily Dad was fully recovered and has since enjoyed listening to it.

I'll just add that it seems a huge coincidence that it was such a rare track and the collector who replied to the email was called Vince. It could well be the man himself!

It felt like the kind of story some of the music nerds on here may enjoy. If you've heard of those involved let me know since it fleshes out the scene even more for me!

Last edited:
A week since we had an entry, so here is a track from one of my favourite bands from my youth. Status Quo, saw them at Butlins when they were known as The Spectres back in the 6os.

I know I'm an old softie but this give me goosebumps and it's quite moving.
I think there is hope for the human race watching this. Chris Martin and Coldplay with Emmanuel Kelly. What wonderful guys. A song for Moira Kelly.

Last edited:
New Blanck Mass album out today.
Ben Power with more of the scary but magnificent electronica that he used to give us with the Fūck Buttons. I love it.

Napalm Death Cult.

A band whose introductions lasted 10 times longer than their songs.

The first three tracks on this compilation are by them although, if you've got the time, the whole album's worth a listen

Napalm Death Cult.

A band whose introductions lasted 10 times longer than their songs.

The first three tracks on this compilation are by them although, if you've got the time, the whole album's worth a listen

Ken - I think you are mixing your bands.

Originally there was Southern Death Cult. When they split, the singer took the name and became Death Cult for one or two singles, and subsequently became THE CULT.

Napalm Death are a completely different band.

I have what is billed as "The Worlds shortest 7" single"

"You suffer" by Napalm Death on one side, "Mega Armageddon Death part 3" by the Electro Hippies on the other. Both songs are one second long.

The rest of the vinyl is etched.

This was given free with a compilation album

I have seen Napalm Death a couple of times. The only member of the band who played both gigs was the bass player.

I expected it to stop being funny after a few minutes, but both times I was still in Hysterics at the end of the set.

What really amuses me is how much it upsets people who are "into metal"!! Serious metalheads really hate them!

Ken - I think you are mixing your bands.

Originally there was Southern Death Cult. When they split, the singer took the name and became Death Cult for one or two singles, and subsequently became THE CULT.

Napalm Death are a completely different band.

I have what is billed as "The Worlds shortest 7" single"

"You suffer" by Napalm Death on one side, "Mega Armageddon Death part 3" by the Electro Hippies on the other. Both songs are one second long.

The rest of the vinyl is etched.

This was given free with a compilation album

I have seen Napalm Death a couple of times. The only member of the band who played both gigs was the bass player.

I expected it to stop being funny after a few minutes, but both times I was still in Hysterics at the end of the set.

What really amuses me is how much it upsets people who are "into metal"!! Serious metalheads really hate them!

No idea where the Cult bit came from. :grinning:

Although I've been called one, or something similar, many times.

Anyway, after Saturday, he's suffering.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/napalm-death-sing-when-youre-winning

;