The players are angry.

Indeed. I mean, if we're afraid of Brentford, how will we like the Premier League?
We won’t, trust me, we are so far off being competitive with this group that it won’t make for pretty viewing at all. The general consensus seems to be that people are desperate for us to go up so we don’t fall into financial oblivion. The logic behind this makes no sense as if (by some miracle) we were to go up then we would only run the club in the same way we had in our five previous years in the top flight, eventually get relegated, and then be in exactly the same position again. Max has shown time and time again that he isn’t interested in building the club from the bottom up via infrastructure, all monies have always been made available for the playing staff. So if failure to get promotion does mean financial oblivion (I have no idea if this is true,) then the reality is that we will inevitably be facing this at some point in the future with the way that the club is run anyway. We can only hope that Max is willing to sustain us out of his own pocket.

We won’t, trust me, we are so far off being competitive with this group that it won’t make for pretty viewing at all. The general consensus seems to be that people are desperate for us to go up so we don’t fall into financial oblivion. The logic behind this makes no sense as if (by some miracle) we were to go up then we would only run the club in the same way we had in our five previous years in the top flight, eventually get relegated, and then be in exactly the same position again. Max has shown time and time again that he isn’t interested in building the club from the bottom up via infrastructure, all monies have always been made available for the playing staff. So if failure to get promotion does mean financial oblivion (I have no idea if this is true,) then the reality is that we will inevitably be facing this at some point in the future with the way that the club is run anyway. We can only hope that Max is willing to sustain us out of his own pocket.
It's always been my belief that Max's end game is to get us in the PL and sell to somebody that can take us on to the next level.

At the end of the day, it was pretty certain we had to beat Brentford one way or another to win promotion.......imo we have a better chance of beating them over 2 legs
I see that logic but I look at it differently. Better to have taken our chances that Barnsley would have out muscled Brentford over two legs (like they did on aggregate in the season 2-1) and we might not have had to have played Brentford at all.

Leaving us Barnsley on a big pitch in a one off had we beaten Swansea who look like our best hope on paper.

IMO players were rusty and lacked "game sharpness" because apparently they now need 2 weeks' rest between games. And when we start badly, we generally lose.

One of the West Ham players was on the radio over weekend saying that the players prefer to play regularly (especially when winning) and that fitness doesn't become a concern. Said that players build momentum and good habits when playing weekly or even twice a week.

It was a real mistake (and arrogant) resting half the team against Wycombe. Get the job done and then bring the players off, or rest one or 2, but we really shot ourselves in the foot and are now grasping for form. It sounds a bit Captain Hindsight, but a number of us called it out when the line-up was announced.

We will need something to spark the players in to life in the first leg, hopefully not a Brentford goal....

Damned if he did, damned if he didn't. We could easily have had 2 or 3 key injuries or suspensions by now by overplaying people.

None of us actually know precisely why those decisions were taken. The coaching and physio teams have access to a wealth of data on players' conditions and what knocks they may be carrying vs the risk of injury.

I'm not really bothered whether a few armchair fans without access to this data "called it" or not.

Yep Swansea are the dream opponents in a Final for ourselves or Brentford.. 16 players who won't want to play in the PL after accumulating only 80 points..even my Swansea fan relatives agree that Boscombe are the clear favourites if we meet...plucky lucky Swans to have their necks strangled with ease...Mmmmm :whist:

Barnsley's muscle ?..should be able to overcome that with our skills....good practice for Burnley and Palace next season.. yup ?

Of course Barnstorming Brentford are Odds-on to annihilate All put in front of them. Everyone knows this .. the Pope...Kim Il Sung and Penguins on far - off rocks !

Lottery....my @rse !!!

Last edited:
Yep Swansea are the dream opponents in a Final for ourselves or Brentford.. 16 players who won't want to play in the PL after accumulating only 80 points..even my Swansea fan relatives agree that Boscombe are the clear favourites if we meet...plucky lucky Swans to have their necks strangled with ease...Mmmmm

Barnsley's muscle ?..should be able to overcome that with our skills....good practice for Burnley and Palace next season.. yup ?

Of course Barnstorming Brentford are Odds-on to annihilate All put in front of them. Everyone knows this .. the Pope...Kim Il Sung and Penguins on far - off rocks !

Lottery....my @rse !!!
So how much are you prpepared to bet on Brentford then?

My Play-off accumulator would be Bentford-Sunderland & Morecombe !

Barnsley- Oxford- Newport for me...on one slip...main choice.

Boscombe- Sunderland and Tranmere on another.( Trannie just sacked manager !!!)
Not sure of stakes yet..

IMO players were rusty and lacked "game sharpness" because apparently they now need 2 weeks' rest between games. And when we start badly, we generally lose.

One of the West Ham players was on the radio over weekend saying that the players prefer to play regularly (especially when winning) and that fitness doesn't become a concern. Said that players build momentum and good habits when playing weekly or even twice a week.

It was a real mistake (and arrogant) resting half the team against Wycombe. Get the job done and then bring the players off, or rest one or 2, but we really shot ourselves in the foot and are now grasping for form. It sounds a bit Captain Hindsight, but a number of us called it out when the line-up was announced.

We will need something to spark the players in to life in the first leg, hopefully not a Brentford goal....
Well said Liam !! There's no substitute for the feeling of confidence that a winning streak brings. Note to JW : if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it Pal

Oh for goodness sake, how pathetic is that. For the record, and should the 'players' happen to be reading this m/b, I've been angry quite a number of time this season with some of the abject performances I've seen...some of which would not even be worthy of League Two! :shake:

Agree RnB, myself and the Good lady were angry with the players performance on Saturday. We've had a frank discussion and agree it's not good enough but we've got a chance to see it put right against Brentford on Monday evening, ( T.O. allowing ) We go again : )

* If I could attached photos, I'd post some of us in our matchday kit, smiling broadly, nearer Monday : )

Genuine question, do they pay out if you spell the name wrong, say you had a massive bet riding on Morecambe could they be within their rights to refuse ?

Genuine question, do they pay out if you spell the name wrong, say you had a massive bet riding on Morecambe could they be within their rights to refuse ?

I have very little experience in betting ,but surely if the bookies accepted the bet then would'nt that mean a payout irrespective of spelling mistake ?

;