The Reason Don Masson Never Signed for us in 1972

paul49

UTC Legend
Just reading Don Masson's autobiography, one of my Christmas books, to while away lockdown.

Masson's transfer from Notts County was seen at the time as the last piece of John Bond's jigsaw to get us promoted that season with Aston Villa. Masson says he saw Bondy and everything was agreed but at the very last moment it stalled, the plug was pulled and the transfer never happened because County wanted £125,000 up front and we wanted to pay them in instalments.

Considering Masson then went on to play for QPR and played every game in the season they finished second one point behind Liverpool and then he went on to be picked for Scotland I think Masson would have made that difference to have got us promoted.

He tells the story in September of that year in giving evidence at the High Court in London as County sued us for breach of contract. We won that one.

Last edited:
Totally agree that he would have made a huge difference....at that time we never really sorted the midfield.....Oh for someone of his skill set and commitment now

That's football.
A few years later we pi55ed off Barry Fry with the Mark Newson transfer.
That will do for me.

Just after the transfer fell through Masson played against us in a 2-0 victory for us at Meadow Lane. I believe he missed a penalty probably saved by Fred Davies if I recall rightly. Notts County went up that season, and we remained in the 3rd division.

;