The Secret of Life

July 2, 2018 - Donald Fagen (and SD band without sadly Walter Becker) and Doobies in a double bill in Toronto. Yes, I have my ticket.

You lucky lucky barstewards. Never seen either, love to see both and I don't care they're past their prime, so am I : )

You lucky lucky barstewards. Never seen either, love to see both and I don't care they're past their prime, so am I : )

Not the best of vids, but they still got it:

And with Michael McDonald doing some vocals with Steely Dan as well as The Dobbies, then it will be good.

Oh oh, the only thing that I like talking about more than sports .... is music. So here goes ...

Viking - saw both bands a few years ago, separate gigs. Doobies are relentless, guitars sound like you just opened fresh vinyl, and Tom and Patrick's voices are as good as ever. Patrick was especially surprising, can still do the ballads really well.

Steely Dan, on a lazy summer evening, outdoor venue ...... man, you are floating on a cloud.

Set lists for tour so far look really good ... including My Old School!

Table - "Past it" ???

Not them and certainly none of us!

Best shows I have seen in the past few years are guys who should be past it ........ but still deliver.

#1 for me is Billy Joel - especially in New York but anywhere will do. New York/Billy is an annual pilgrimage for us. I expect that Old Trafford next month will be spectacular. Keep in mind that Billy always has surprise guests - including Felix Cavaliere of the Young Rascals, and Paul Simon - two that I have seen. I see that Sir Paul has no tour dates planned, and they are close pals ........... Could it be?? I am not going but am really looking forward to see what will happen. Hoping for good concert video.

Other oldies that are worth every penny - James Taylor and the Eagles (the latter costing many pennies). Eagles here on July 15, without Glenn Frey but supplemented by Glenn's son Deacon and Vince Gill. Reviews have been excellent. James Taylor still silky smooth and the nicest man. Takes a half hour intermission, sits on the edge of the stage and signs stuff that you bring - no charge.

Finally, younger oldies worth seeing include RHCP, Green Day, GnR - in fact, Slash in any form.

Yeah, they are all older and maybe not as good as back then, but close. Buddy of mine twisted my arm a few years back to go see AC/DC in Buffalo. Bloody border crossing and longish drive - I wasn't keen. But, got to see Brian and Malcolm doing their thing - that won't ever happen again.

On that note, one year anniversary of Chris Cornell's death tomorrow - never saw him, sorry to say.

James Taylor still silky smooth and the nicest man. Takes a half hour intermission, sits on the edge of the stage and signs stuff that you bring - no charge.

Great to hear he's still giving value for money.

Seen him a good few times, one of life's good guys.

And just for you:

AFCB, it's either sadness or euphoria.

Don't worry Johnnie Toronto, I don't think I ever got to it, let alone past it : )
We saw James Taylor a couple of times, as you say his voice is still the same and he just sits on the edge of the stage during the interval chatting to anyone who comes up to him, the band were back but had to wait until he had finished talking to his fans : )

As a kid in the '60s and youth in the '70s I was obsessed with music, then I was convinced music was just for youngsters. So I lost interest until our kids developed their musical tastes. Around about 2004 they wanted to see Feeder at the B.I.C. so I chaperoned them. I was blown away by the quality of the sound and light system, they were also bloody good live. So I was hooked again and spent the next decade taking them to gigs around the south of England. They also taught me a lot about the music I'd missed out on for 2 decades.

Better go now, Rob Trent 'll be along soon to talk about Rush : )
Speaking Canadians, in my musical resurrection I've been lucky enough to see Neil Young 4 times : )

Oh oh, the only thing that I like talking about more than sports .... is music. So here goes ...

Viking - saw both bands a few years ago, separate gigs. Doobies are relentless, guitars sound like you just opened fresh vinyl, and Tom and Patrick's voices are as good as ever. Patrick was especially surprising, can still do the ballads really well.

Steely Dan, on a lazy summer evening, outdoor venue ...... man, you are floating on a cloud.

Set lists for tour so far look really good ... including My Old School!

Table - "Past it" ???

Not them and certainly none of us!

Best shows I have seen in the past few years are guys who should be past it ........ but still deliver.

#1 for me is Billy Joel - especially in New York but anywhere will do. New York/Billy is an annual pilgrimage for us. I expect that Old Trafford next month will be spectacular. Keep in mind that Billy always has surprise guests - including Felix Cavaliere of the Young Rascals, and Paul Simon - two that I have seen. I see that Sir Paul has no tour dates planned, and they are close pals ........... Could it be?? I am not going but am really looking forward to see what will happen. Hoping for good concert video.

Other oldies that are worth every penny - James Taylor and the Eagles (the latter costing many pennies). Eagles here on July 15, without Glenn Frey but supplemented by Glenn's son Deacon and Vince Gill. Reviews have been excellent. James Taylor still silky smooth and the nicest man. Takes a half hour intermission, sits on the edge of the stage and signs stuff that you bring - no charge.

Finally, younger oldies worth seeing include RHCP, Green Day, GnR - in fact, Slash in any form.

Yeah, they are all older and maybe not as good as back then, but close. Buddy of mine twisted my arm a few years back to go see AC/DC in Buffalo. Bloody border crossing and longish drive - I wasn't keen. But, got to see Brian and Malcolm doing their thing - that won't ever happen again.

On that note, one year anniversary of Chris Cornell's death tomorrow - never saw him, sorry to say.

Saw Soundgarden support Mudhoney years ago at Portsmouth Polytechnic - yes - it was still a polytechnic in those days - this was about a week or so before/after Dinosaur Jr supported by the Lunachicks at the same venue - still the loudest gig I have ever seen - and I did see Motorhead!!

As for Golden Oldies worth seeing - Ian Hunter - seen him a few times in recent years - still doing 2 hr plus shows.

Patti Smith is also worth seeing - I know she's a marmite singer - you either love her or hate her- but her band is always spot on.

Last edited:
I did see April Wine at the Soton Gaumont many years ago, but they were nothing compared to the support act Diamond Head!

Proper music not fey Steely Dan stuff ;-)

Diamondhead were great, saw them at Donington

Ah, Donington.

Went to the first one with some mates.

Bearing in mind I have already name checked Billy Joel and James Taylor in this thread, it wasn't the most enjoyable weekend of my life.

"Guten tag, vee are zee Scorpions, you are ready to rock, ya?"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear he's still giving value for money.

Seen him a good few times, one of life's good guys.

And just for you:

AFCB, it's either sadness or euphoria.
Thanks KBG ... Summer Highland Falls is one of Billy's really underrated album tracks. And, you have very adroitly got us back to an AFCB thread ... at least temporarily. Well done.

Much earlier in this thread, I was given some book ideas, which I much appreciated. Here is an update - please provide comments if you have any ...........

Which is better ...........
> Cherries First 100 Years - Nash
OR
> Cherries 1890 - Premier League - Daily Echo

Also:
> Match of My Life - it appears that this is being updated for release later this year. The original version was 2015, but I see a version for September release with a cover photo of Jermaine which includes his 2017 goal vs. Crystal Palace and our 4-3 win over Liverpool in 2016. So I will wait for that one.
> Definitive Bournemouth - am seeing it for about CDN$150 - might wait on that a bit!
> Fever Pitch - I read this 15-20 years ago, as a coming of age book, and I remembered it to be very good. I found a new copy and am reading it again.
Finally, I see flammerouge's Dean Court Days on Amazon Canada and will order it.
Thanks.
TJ.

Just seen the Beck set on BBC4, from Belfast, anyone on here lucky enough to have a ticket for Monday at the BIC ? I saw him a few years ago at Southampton Guildhall, he had back problems and was hepped up on goofballs but was still excellent. Junior Table is going, tells me Sparks are the support act.

;