The standard of refereeing

I just like to support the more down-trodden in society, not a popular concept these last few decades I appreciate.....

Absolutely appalling performance today from Friend. Stopped play for the Mepham foul in the first half and I counted several similar fouls from them that he didn’t stop play for. Should have been a foul on Surman and Fraser in their half too not to mention other incidents

I'll be honest, I think Fraser screwed himself. He went down very easily every single time a Man City player looked at him and I wasn't surprised when he then didn't get decisions. The first one when he did it wasn't a free kick and it just went from there.

In the first half there were so many times when we were looking for free kicks that weren't there the fact that he then gave almost nothing in the second is down to us.

Ironically, the one I would have given that he didn't was the foul on Brooks where Brooks had already lost his footing but Otamendi still took him out. I think the ref played on because he was already on his way down (that time, not a dive unlike Fraser) but it was still a clear foul.

I think we'd have been far better off trying to make chances but the tactic today seem to be to try and win set pieces every time we went forward and it failed miserably.

I'll be honest, I think Fraser screwed himself. He went down very easily every single time a Man City player looked at him and I wasn't surprised when he then didn't get decisions. The first one when he did it wasn't a free kick and it just went from there.

In the first half there were so many times when we were looking for free kicks that weren't there the fact that he then gave almost nothing in the second is down to us.

Ironically, the one I would have given that he didn't was the foul on Brooks where Brooks had already lost his footing but Otamendi still took him out. I think the ref played on because he was already on his way down (that time, not a dive unlike Fraser) but it was still a clear foul.

I think we'd have been far better off trying to make chances but the tactic today seem to be to try and win set pieces every time we went forward and it failed miserably.
Not disputing, kirsikka, but:
1) Am I the only one who saw Otamendi and thought Smithy's pen last week?
2) I didn't mind the "set pieces" logic but what did we get ... 1 corner and 1 free kick of any consequence? So, yes, failure on that.
3) It did seem that we got less than our share of 50/50 calls, even throw-ins. Yeah, what's new?

1. I did specifically say that I thought the Brooks one was an error
2. If you fall down every time a player comes near you on those occasions when you break forward then the ref won't believe you when it's genuine. I've more than called out refs on here before but today we brought it on ourselves
3. Some of the 50-50s were iffy but we should expect that against the top six by now.

It’s ok, VAR will be the answer...

Considering it's limits, how would VAR be the answer? I know you were being sarcastic but it's completely unrelated to anything that happened today. There were no decisions to make that would have needed VAR so it's a bit random to bring it up.

Considering it's limits, how would VAR be the answer? I know you were being sarcastic but it's completely unrelated to anything that happened today. There were no decisions to make that would have needed VAR so it's a bit random to bring it up.

That’s kind of the point.

So many media types and others claiming that VAR is a “fix all” thing and yet today you’ve got a set of officials taking a big influence on the game over decisions that VAR wouldn’t have played a part in.

The bigger issue is the standard of officials, improve that and you not only solve the problem of things like today but you’ll also see fewer blunders and the requirement for VAR wouldn’t be needed.

As I said above, I think today we brought most of it on ourselves. It was embarrassing. It was everything the likes of Watford et al accuse us of and I'm not surprised that the ref didn't have any truck with it.

A better official would have booked Fraser today for repeatedly going down without being fouled.

Regarding Fraser, I have to admit his tumbles and subsequent banging on the ground is starting to frustrate me, let alone referees and opposition players. He does it far too consistently for refs to not know about it.

And now he probably only gets half of the "real" fouls as a consequence.

;