The statement we’ve all been waiting for

1-3 on your list are surely dependent on structadene - why build the hotel if you don't own the rest of the stadium? - Structadene will use any of these as reasons to increase the rent
5 is dependent on building a New Athletics stadium - need to find somewhere to put that

You could argue that the only thing that has really changed is the timeline - buying the ground back would still be the cheapest option - and probably the easiest for the club.
Building a new athletics facility wouldn't be easy - aside from finding the land, someone living near it is bound to have objections.

Why not just put it on are old ground, demolish north,east and south stand, keep main stand we pay rent on ground

Good summary Neil.

Max has sensibly managed this club out of the chaos. If there was a limit on finance then I am sure buying brooks and Lerma plus retaining cook and king is a better way to keep Eddie here.

Can’t be many afcb fans that don’t want a new ground but funding a new ground will be easier and less risky for the financial future of afcb if the risk of relegation is minimised.

Having said that, in the meantime expanding the Ted mac stand is a must imho to get more fans in.

I understand where you are coming from but how do you quantify when the risk of relegation is minimised enough to divert funds into the stadium pot? Apart from the 'big 6' there will always be an element of risk of relegation for the others. I actually think the chances of us being involved anywhere near the relegation battle this season is about as low as it will ever be, hence my frustration with the statement today. It feels like we have had 5 years of bullsh@t statements from the club giving us hope for off-field development when all along they never had any intention of building the club.

Eddie is very closely involved in the running of this club and a very bright and astute man.

He knows the income streams and the outgoings. When he would have been asked if he wanted Defoe on a 60k a week three year contract and Lerma in for 25m he would know the effect that has on the clubs balance sheet.

Our gate money alone wouldn’t buy Lermas left leg. Don’t tell me he doesn’t know we are now not going to have a stadium and strop off. He will have been part of this commercial decision making progress. There was a decision taken by all not to fund a stadium from the TV money because staying in the Premier League is more important to the guaranteed long term financial position.

Any business works on return on investment. The return on investment on a stadium is neglible compared to TV money. Players guarantee this investment...crowds don’t. We didn’t fill the stadium we had in the championship until the last few games. It’s a new all seater style stadium too...not a crumbly 1920s one. We had the crowd boost by moving to a modern facility and still couldn’t fill it...a bigger one wouldn’t make any difference in the lower leagues. The poor fans that can’t get in want to see Premier League football...players give that not a ground. Eddie will be complicit with that I’m sure.

So, we don’t want to use our funds to do it. That means we need to attract an investor who won’t make money unless they can piggy back hotels or leisure. The hotel market in Bournemouth is over subscribed and leisure is well represented.

While this is frustrating, if you remove the emotion of being a fan out of it it’s all logical.

Everyone has chosen Premier League football over a stadium because the longer we stay there the more likely we will get one. Newcastle are showing what happens when everyone invests apart from you. One thing is for sure...get relegated and we won’t build or need anything.

I can understand to a certain extent the complex issues with the stadium build in Kings Park but the training ground is rather baffling. Turning a golf course into training pitches and adding a few buildings can hardly be a cash buster.
Hope they don't flog it off for housing or gravel extraction!
Well that could be it , prime housing location !
Surely the funds are there for the training ground ? If not , oh dear .

Eddie is very closely involved in the running of this club and a very bright and astute man.

He knows the income streams and the outgoings. When he would have been asked if he wanted Defoe on a 60k a week three year contract and Lerma in for 25m he would know the effect that has on the clubs balance sheet.

Our gate money alone wouldn’t buy Lermas left leg. Don’t tell me he doesn’t know we are now not going to have a stadium and strop off. He will have been part of this commercial decision making progress. There was a decision taken by all not to fund a stadium from the TV money because staying in the Premier League is more important to the guaranteed long term financial position.

Any business works on return on investment. The return on investment on a stadium is neglible compared to TV money. Players guarantee this investment...crowds don’t. We didn’t fill the stadium we had in the championship until the last few games. It’s a new all seater style stadium too...not a crumbly 1920s one. We had the crowd boost by moving to a modern facility and still couldn’t fill it...a bigger one wouldn’t make any difference in the lower leagues. The poor fans that can’t get in want to see Premier League football...players give that not a ground. Eddie will be complicit with that I’m sure.

So, we don’t want to use our funds to do it. That means we need to attract an investor who won’t make money unless they can piggy back hotels or leisure. The hotel market in Bournemouth is over subscribed and leisure is well represented.

While this is frustrating, if you remove the emotion of being a fan out of it it’s all logical.

Everyone has chosen Premier League football over a stadium because the longer we stay there the more likely we will get one. Newcastle are showing what happens when everyone invests apart from you. One thing is for sure...get relegated and we won’t build or need anything.
Nonsense, it’s not at all logical. While I can understand the lack of investment on a new stadium to a point, the lack of investment in a much needed training ground makes no sense at all if you believe the club’s stated strategic vision.

How are we ever to benefit from the development of young players (who currently only play ad hoc games) without the right facilities to support this? We have already seen how investment in potential young talent has been wasted due to inferior training facilities that preclude the club from participating in the leagues enjoyed by other clubs, all of which impacts on these players...lack of game time, difficulty in first team integration etc.,

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ
I understand where you are coming from but how do you quantify when the risk of relegation is minimised enough to divert funds into the stadium pot? Apart from the 'big 6' there will always be an element of risk of relegation for the others. I actually think the chances of us being involved anywhere near the relegation battle this season is about as low as it will ever be, hence my frustration with the statement today. It feels like we have had 5 years of bullsh@t statements from the club giving us hope for off-field development when all along they never had any intention of building the club.

Don’t disagree. I think the guidance by the club over the last few years on this has been really poor and naive. Not for the first time. When is the right time to invest will be tricky especially as the bar to stay up keeps rising; there’s no guarantees in this division nor how long eddie will stay.

It is clear the club want to guarantee prem football as shown by pumping money into the playing squad as opposed to just banking the money. That is my only comfort.

Nonsense, it’s not at all logical. While I can understand the lack of investment on a new stadium to a point, the lack of investment in a much needed training ground makes no sense at all if you believe the club’s stated strategic vision.

How are we ever to benefit from the development of young players (who currently only play ad hoc games) without the right facilities to support this? We have already seen how investment in potential young talent has been wasted due inferior training facilities that preclude the club from participating in the leagues enjoyed by other clubs, all of which impacts on these players...lack of game time, difficulty in first team integration etc.,
I have read all the posts with great interest but have not felt qualified to offer any opinions. This, however, pinpoints what has been bubbling around in my mind. There is much talk about a legacy from our time in the PL and this to me is what the legacy should be. The ability to develop young players that might one day be mainstays on the national team. Isn't that a much better measure than the bricks and mortar of a new stadium?

The other thought for me has been that many of the people on this forum really represent the legacy. The guys who still think of the team as Boscombe and can quote players and games from decades ago. And who will be able to tell the stories of the ascent and time in the PL. The challenge of course is whether or not there is a next generation to whom that torch can be passed.

I have read all the posts with great interest but have not felt qualified to offer any opinions. This, however, pinpoints what has been bubbling around in my mind. There is much talk about a legacy from our time in the PL and this to me is what the legacy should be. The ability to develop young players that might one day be mainstays on the national team. Isn't that a much better measure than the bricks and mortar of a new stadium?

The other thought for me has been that many of the people on this forum really represent the legacy. The guys who still think of the team as Boscombe and can quote players and games from decades ago. And who will be able to tell the stories of the ascent and time in the PL. The challenge of course is whether or not there is a next generation to whom that torch can be passed.

Great post. Legacy is also about changing the mindset about what the club can achieve. Harry did this by getting into the championship for the first time despite everyone claiming the club and town didn’t want this. After relegation the talk was about returning to that league. This will be the case if we get relegated from the prem. Wigan have this goal too now.

The pain of some awful years have been more than offset by what I have seen over the last 8 years since Eddie took charge. I hope I never lose my memory of special moments.

Worth adding that the next generation won’t neccesarily need to attend live games to support afcb given media coverage, fifa games and card collections like match attax, social media, topps kick and other topps cards. Being a supporter is more than just watching games and with AI and AR technologies, watching football will be unrecognisable from today’s experience.

What a day!
The only friggin good news was when my missus interrupted me droning on about Afcb's Stadium Update to inform me that one of the Yorkshire Rippers B#llocks has swollen to 5 times normal size ...he thinks it's cancer! The Joys of Mobile News Feeds! We were eating Lasagne in the Premier Inn...Magic Moments all round ! I will forever connect the two revelations and will seek to have it confirmed whether it was the left or right b#llock!
Another 40 minutes and it will all be yesterday's news ..thank the Lord!

I suspect Eddie was also told two years ago that we were going to get a new stadium to match his ambitions. So while Neil makes some good points it doesn't address the issue as to how the clubs 'strategy' (which looked vacuous to me) will eventually develop improved facilities.

Times change though Rob. We found last year more of a struggle than the year before. This would have worried Eddie. Common wisdom as well was that Wolves and Fulham would come up and stay up. This would worry him too. Sensible in my book to therefore spend money strengthening the squad and he absolutely would know the effects of this.

We really don’t need a new stadium if we are in the championship. People quoting clubs that grew attendances by changing ground are forgetting we’ve done that ‘crumbling terraces and pillar obscured view’ to ‘all seat great view’ that they’ve done already...and we still couldn’t fill it.

Our best hope is to stay in this league and cash in on a young player. That frees cash.

Most old fans feel the club is theirs, not the owners.
They were promised improvements in the future, but now the owners have pushed the plans back due to money limitations.
So now everybody is throwing their toys out of the pram. doing a strop on the floor screaming "I want, I want, you promised, what about our legacy?
We have the dream all old supporters dreamed of. I am happy for that, I am now able to watch my team play every week live on tv wherever I am in the world. When I meet people and I say I support the Cherries they smile instead of a puzzled look. I say lets see what happens in the future, get behind the club and lets smash Watford on Saturday.

;