The statement we’ve all been waiting for

Oh and if the estimate is true about Demin's net worth being around 100M, then he is a pauper by PL standards and there is no way he could bankroll the stadium, or even most of it, by himself. So that just wouldn't be an option.

Anyone remember the rumour that appeared around the start of the season that said once the training ground was up and running, the club would ditch the idea of a new stadium and instead redevelop the South Stand and existing training area.....maybe this is just the start of that process.....

1. I think Neil is "right on the money".
2. What's changed since the original club announcement of the stadium?
a. Player transfer fees have continued to increase exponentially.
b. We got a real scare in the 2017-18 season, the first time in years we didn't improve. We were not far off relegation.
This would have created a dilemma for Eddie. We needed to improve the team or risk going down, and the cost of doing so was much higher than would have been anticipated in 2016.
You, too, are missing the point. The club's "strategic" statement is contradictory. As part of needing to ensure we improve the team is a reliance on an effective youth/development system as is the case at every other PL club. We won't achieve that without a new training facility and therefore there is the need for investment in this respect at the very least.

Might be worth listening to the interview if you haven’t already.

Eddie respects the boards decision, also his comments about always had a good relationship with those above him and still has is important.

You get a lot of knee jerk reactions when things like the statement happen, but I like to wait and hear what Eddie has to say before making a decision on what Eddie’s future with our club will be.

From what I heard this morning he his still happy here and is going to stay. Others may have different views once they have listened to the interview.

Kris asked Eddie some straight forward questions and Eddie as usual gave him a honest answer.

We used to hear from Jeff M on the radio, it would be good if he came on either COWS or Solent and gave us his views/reasons again and made one or two things clearer re the new training ground.

From that statement depending how you interpret it, I didn’t think they had shelved/halted the training ground as well.

Then I have always tried to look on the positive side in my 61 years following the Cherries.

Yes we have had more negatives than positives in that time. But once Eddie and Max came together it has all been positive.

I expect some others on here and amongst our fans still think it’s a dream we are playing in the Premier League.

I haven’t listened to the interview, but I probably don’t need to as I can guess what he had to say.

The news won’t have been new to Eddie, he will, as others have said, been in the loop. He may have also been involved in a decision...would you like to do this or buy players...etc.

It doesn’t mean he isn’t frustrated, no matter what he says and just because he doesn’t turn round and say, “yeah I’ll be off once a decent job gets offered elsewhere” that doesn’t mean privately he’s thinking that maybe just maybe he will have to move to realise his ambitions, whether that’s 5 months or 5 years time.

He’s made his view on this subject pretty clear in the not so recent past.

Don't talk rubbish.
The 2020 plan has been delayed thats all.
Its not all doom and gloom .
You need to re-read the club's statement and particularly the language that has been used. There appears to be no guarantees whatsoever and therefore your assertion that the "project" (which, by the way, a number of players had bought into as part of coming to DC) has been delayed is potentially not the case.

Of course you’re only thinking of Premier League football. There are other teams out there apparently.

Even then it’s the atmosphere created by fans inside the ground that draw the armchair supporters.

Couldn’t agree more Rob. I don’t watch much live TV at all - watch a lot of afcb and will take in local non league games too (last one watching Shawn Jalal at Maidstone last season)

Just pointing out that the definition of supporters amongst the next generation is very different to our generation at the top end of the domestic game. A lot of young people love football but don’t go to games.

What??!!

When did that happen?? ;)

I know its a shock RnB, they said it was only temporary halt to work back then.

A real shame.

A stand that big would maybe have been a basis for developing DC years later, instead of demolition and building the current 3 sided box.

And this thread wouldn't exist.

I haven’t listened to the interview, but I probably don’t need to as I can guess what he had to say.

The news won’t have been new to Eddie, he will, as others have said, been in the loop. He may have also been involved in a decision...would you like to do this or buy players...etc.

It doesn’t mean he isn’t frustrated, no matter what he says and just because he doesn’t turn round and say, “yeah I’ll be off once a decent job gets offered elsewhere” that doesn’t mean privately he’s thinking that maybe just maybe he will have to move to realise his ambitions, whether that’s 5 months or 5 years time.

Thing is DJ, no one knows what EH's ambitions are. Does he like being a big fish in a small pool with his boyhood club in an area he and his family love, or does he really want a top 6 club or the England job. A top 6 club means a fundamentally different way of working with football directors and recruitment done by others, while the England job takes away the day to day interaction and coaching of players. I have no idea what his ambitions are and I don't think he has ever let on.

If the intention of the club was to fund a stadium using the PL revenue then that was always going to be doomed to failure.

If we had not spent a single penny on transfers since promotion, we'd probably just about have enough to build the stadium now. So the 2020 plan may actually have happened. Just no chance we'd be in the PL in 2020...

Assuming the club haven't been totally naive and weren't trying to fund the project via the PL revenue, then it looks like we've not been able to secure the external funding we anticipated. Perhaps the Yanks have cooled off or the financing costs are more than first anticipated

Well in

Yes he stated in May infrastructure is important for a legacy from our premier era.He surely wouldn't of said that if at the time the owners told him players or stadium.Apart from transfer dealings what's happened in the short time since then

Thing is DJ, no one knows what EH's ambitions are. Does he like being a big fish in a small pool with his boyhood club in an area he and his family love, or does he really want a top 6 club or the England job. A top 6 club means a fundamentally different way of working with football directors and recruitment done by others, while the England job takes away the day to day interaction and coaching of players. I have no idea what his ambitions are and I don't think he has ever let on.

Very true.

He has stated his desire to leave a legacy at AFC Bournemouth though and that (fingers crossed) at the very least has been delayed.

Very true.

He has stated his desire to leave a legacy at AFC Bournemouth though and that (fingers crossed) at the very least has been delayed.
Very true.

Yes,infrastructure,new training ground and stadium

If you are not building the ground you don’t need to build the training ground.

There may be better training grounds out there but the fact our one prevents us signing top players is a bit of a fallacy when you look who we have signed recently. It’s homely...our small club mentality helps us in a lot of ways. The building also has some state of the art facilities inside it. Other clubs don’t offer areas like Sandbanks for the family to live in..or pay the wages we do...or have the proximity to London...there are many reasons why players choose us.

We don’t have a council that wants to help, the political climate is against Russian investment at the moment.... none of this should be a surprise.

Our best hope is to stay in the PL, hope to attract other investment and build up an asset base of young footballers to sell. And the best way to achieve that is to sign good players now not start a savings account.

We all want the same end result...this is about how we do it.

You need to re-read the club's statement and particularly the language that has been used. There appears to be no guarantees whatsoever and therefore your assertion that the "project" (which, by the way, a number of players had bought into as part of coming to DC) has been delayed is potentially not the case.

"With regard to the developments, when we have a reliable timeframe we will make those facts known."

I believe that is fair enough.
There are no guarantees, and there never will be.

You, too, are missing the point. The club's "strategic" statement is contradictory. As part of needing to ensure we improve the team is a reliance on an effective youth/development system as is the case at every other PL club. We won't achieve that without a new training facility and therefore there is the need for investment in this respect at the very least.
Not missing the point, just not addressing it!

I agree that the training ground delay is much more worrying. However:
- the club statement indicates that "every penny" of PL money has been spent on the club, and suggests even more money from ownership has been injected to keep things going. So even if the training ground "only" costs 10M (sorry no pound symbol on my keyboard), well, that's 10M more than they have to spend at this point.
- Again, if Max's net worth is only 100M, then even the training ground would probably be more than he could finance on his own.
- This all comes back to the need for external investment.

If you were a potential investor, would you want to invest in hard infrastructure in a club that had gone downhill in its last PL season and finished 11 points above relegation? If it were me, I'd tell the club I would consider investing if they can demonstrate their long-term viability as a PL team. How that would be determined would be up to the potential investor (certain points target, league position, number of consecutive seasons in PL, etc.)

Let's face it clubs in the Premiership simply don't need fans, certainly not from a financial perspective. We are just an inconvenience, until relegation beckons and then the buckets will be out again. Sad but true. Personally I would rather have the old Dean Court back, a stadium with character and atmosphere...

;