The statement we’ve all been waiting for

First of all, since this statement tells us nothing and therefore contains no delicate information why on earth has it taken this long to give us an update ? I could have knocked that statement up in about 10 minutes if all they were going to say was "team is the priority, off field developments are on hold". It contains nothing which would jeopardise some negotiations, it's just a holding statement, so why drag it out this long ?

And secondly, if maintaining our PL status is key to everything, then surely the new training centre should be a top priority. The costs and logistics involved in that are a fraction of those for the new stadium, so at the very least I would expect the club to be pushing ahead full speed to get that up and running and to say as much.

As already mentioned, a new stadium would be nice but for Eddie the new training facilities will be the most important aspect, so he must be disappointed too, to a certain extent. If the new training centre goes ahead soon, I'll be happy enough for now. It would keep Eddie optimistic for the future and would buy us some time. If nothing happens then I think his head could be turned.

Can only echo these thoughts

I think it was about the buyback price, which they can now set at whatever they want to. Being as the club has money they think they can charge the earth for it. Would have loved to build next door and let it rot whilst paying rent until first exit clause

They don't need to buy it back - just get on and extend it. Agree a lease renewal in ten years or whenever the current lease runs out and just pay Structadene for what you'd have to pay them for anyway, i.e. the existing ground. Yes they might try and up the rent at that stage due to a change in market value of their asset but they will do that anyway.

A crying shame for the thousands of fans, particularly the young ones, who'd love to come and see AFCB play but don't get the chance. At the recent Carabao Cup matches, it was lovely to see all the young faces wide-eyed with excitement and anticipation as they came into the ground. Took me right back to when I was a 7 year old - the bug bit me then, and I've never lost it, more than 50 years on.

This is the generation whose hearts we need to capture, and when has there ever been a better time in our history to attract and inspire new supporters ? I just hope that in years to come we don't look back and rue this historic opportunity that's been missed.

I'm sure I read that statement on the other thread. Someone predicted it word for word. Who do we owe the fiver to?

Very disappointing and short sighted. I only hope that it took them so long to draw this statement up because they're playing some kind of mind game with Structadene but I won't hold my breath.

A month. To write that. There are some ackfing morons at our club.

So in short with hundreds of millions flooding into he club every season the priority is spunking millions on players and other useless staff and ticketing systems over the long term survival of the club.

Absolute f.ucking morons!

Another thing. This statement begs the question, "are we sure the council will still be onside with our stadium plans when we finally get our act together ?". I sincerely hope the club is communicating regularly and working with the council to ensure that they are informed and kept onside. To assume that the offer once made is valid in perpetuity could be a mistake !

Another thing. This statement begs the question, "are we sure the council will still be onside with our stadium plans when we finally get our act together ?". I sincerely hope the club is communicating regularly and working with the council to ensure that they are informed and kept onside. To assume that the offer once made is valid in perpetuity could be a mistake !

The Council we be kissing our **************** as long as we're in the PL. Once we're out again they'll go back to wanting us to **************** off down the road to Southampton.

DW: "At the recent Carabao Cup matches, it was lovely to see all the young faces wide-eyed with excitement and anticipation as they came into the ground."

This is what it's all about. With luck I can get my 11-year-old into cup games - he loves it and then asks why he never sees our first-choice team in the PL. Inevitably our crowds are getting older, with the younger generation excluded from DC. What a miserable, self-defeating situation.

Is there some means of lobbying the Board? Could some of our wealthier fans (there are some!) form a group to look at raising money that might complement the shareholders' own resources? We can't go on like this without serious damage to our prospects at AFCB.

Nothing's been coming...Nothing has arrived!.. No need to walk dogs on Canf........and all that!

Eddie ? Many questions! One the one hand..Can anyone ( and himself) imagine not being at Boscombe? On the other..Villa have the Stadium ..but maybe not the money!..Man utd...dread to think they could try him out for half a season then.....Nothing is impossible.....apart from our needs!

First of all, since this statement tells us nothing and therefore contains no delicate information why on earth has it taken this long to give us an update ? I could have knocked that statement up in about 10 minutes if all they were going to say was "team is the priority, off field developments are on hold". It contains nothing which would jeopardise some negotiations, it's just a holding statement, so why drag it out this long ?

They obviously wanted to release the news when it was overshadowed by other events. I don't think it's any coincidence that they put this statement out on the same day that the Norwich City Carabao Cup tickets are released to season ticket holders. ;)

It’s a bit of a Catch 22 situation.

If there is only so much money in the pot which comes first, a new stadium or building a side that could stay in the Premier League hence bringing in more people who want to see it?

If it is the stadium first and not strengthening the team and we were relegated, how many would still want to come and watch our team?

On the other side, there are people and especially our younger fans who want to come and watch Premier League football at Dean Court which has been our home for over 100 years, but can’t get a ticket because our stadium isn’t big enough. Would they still come if we dropped down a league or two like other former PL clubs have done? Pompey for one, although they have always had a strong fan base.

Let’s look at another club down the coast, Brighton. Going back the two clubs were both in the lower leagues, Brighton usually had slightly bigger attendances than the Cherries.

When they left their old Goldstone ground, they were looking to build a new stadium. But they had to move into smaller temporary grounds and also ground share as well.

Been reading how long it took them from leaving the Goldstone, to getting into the Amex with their sights eventually on the Premier League. Did all the money go into building the ground at the expense of building a team to get them into the Premier League? They did finally get there as we know.

But our team beat them to it with a strong squad gradually built by Eddie Howe with the backing of MD our owner. Our team have had a good start this season in our fourth season in this league. To remain there you have to keep improving your side, which as we know costs big money.

So what comes first the team or building a new stadium? The ideal scenario is both, like the big clubs who have massive backing to do both.

Would our club have been better to have increased the size of our present stadium as was originally planned? Or wait until there was sufficient money to support a new stadium and a strong playing squad to keep us in the top flight?

Perhaps it would have been better if planners had not entered a time frame for the stadium extension and raised fans’ expectations.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/falmer/

Last edited:
Could have said that a few months back. Patience is a virtue not many of us have unfortunately. Apart from the logistical problems of finding a spot for the athletics club I would guess they are looking for additional funding that doesn't come from their own pockets.
Investors seek a return and perhaps this is a hard lesson in our true investment potential. None of us really know (apart from Al obviously) how things are behind the scenes. We have little to offer apart from the TV money and it is clear that this has to keep us in the PL. We still owe Max.

Enabling another 10000 people to watch us every week (are there that many??) is of course an unarguable and laudable aim... but perhaps the timeframe for a financial return is too long... then there's the issue of possible relegation...

If this is about economic realities then I believe Eddie will be fine but as has been said already I think there has to be some progress on another, perhaps more realistic front.

;