The statement we’ve all been waiting for

Yes we have had more negatives than positives in that time. But once Eddie and Max came together it has all been positive.

I expect some others on here and amongst our fans still think it’s a dream we are playing in the Premier League.

It's dream that will end pronto once Eddie leaves and Max buggers off.

With absolutely nothing to show for it other than memories.

Once a fortnight about 6 thousand people have the privilege of seeing this dream live, a couple of thousand others, if they have enough points also 'live the dream'.

The rest scratch around for home points and get a ticket if they're lucky, watch it on TV and or spend a fortune going to away games, if they have enough away points.

In 5 years time there will be no legacy whatsoever.

If we accept the sums don't add up for a private investor to make sufficient return on the stadium project, then agree the emphasis should be on creating a facility to benefit the community as a whole instead of generate a profit.

Weren't the council considering spending £70m on a hotel by the BIC? All bias aside, surely something in Kings Park which benefits the entire conurbation is a better option. Unfortunately we probably have one of the least likely councils in the entire country to help provide funding support for a new stadium

Hull and Swansea, two clubs cited by @Garbo as examples of clubs struggling after building new stadiums - had their stadiums primarily built and funded by their local councils, for which those football clubs pay the council an annual rent. 300k pa in Swansea's case.

A lot of sense has been said on this, as well as some anger, which is to be expected. Obviously not a huge fan of the gloating, but hey it happens. To take a leaf from Brent Goulet, in reality all the statement actually said was "you know what, you were right 2020 was ridiculous, sorry guys". Which sucks but is something we all expected and suspected. What I'm not happy about is the way the club have worded it, money is for either the team or the stadium, not both. That isn't correct, in fact name me a club is recent years that have paid for their stadium from internal funds, I can't think of one, even Wembley wasn't paid for by the FA. There are other ways to get funding, also I see no reason why not to approach the council to a certain extent. After all a 25000 cap stadium would technically bring 2500 visitors to town every other week in the off season, that's got to be worth a helluva lot to the local economy

I wouldn’t say that the statement just says it was unrealistic by 2020. Previous statements by the club on the stadium stated it was not dependant on league status i.e the moneys there and it will be invested in a new stadium . This statement implies that it’s crucial we stay in the prem and only when we have some spare money would we consider investing in a new stadium.

In my mind something significant must of happened with regards to money people are willing to put in to the club.

That's the thing redskins, it only implies stuff. That's why I said how disappointed I was that it states the money stuff when there are other avenues. Ground sharing, concerts, naming rights. The fact that they are saying that we must cut our cloth accordingly doesn't smell right, but we can't deal with implicit only explicit. The club implies many things all the time, and that's what we find so frustrating and end up reading between the lines. As for getting Jeff to say anything, that's just pointless, he's merely a figurehead, a mouthpiece. I've warned to the guy after being very disappointed after our first conversation in his early days with Steve Sly, but now he's no money involved then he's not necessarily privy to what actually goes on. He's an employee no different to a steward, or ticket office assistant

Once a fortnight about 6 thousand people have the privilege of seeing this dream live, a couple of thousand others, if they have enough points also 'live the dream'.

The rest scratch around for home points and get a ticket if they're lucky, watch it on TV and or spend a fortune going to away games, if they have enough away points.

I was thinking something similar this morning. For however many years we may stay in the PL, it currently sounds like we will go back to the Championship as tenants in a three sided stadium. What a wasted opportunity.

I’m with you cockbeard , we’re all disappointed :-(

And I know this doesn’t make any difference but I find it a therapeutic process ! :) but ..... they were both club statements, a year or so apart , one being we have the money as this is an investment in the future. The other we can’t afford it.
Jeff may well have jumped the gun but it was said on more than one occasion so it my mind that made it the clubs take at the time

Don't talk rubbish.
The 2020 plan has been delayed thats all.
Its not all doom and gloom .

Great post. Legacy is also about changing the mindset about what the club can achieve. Harry did this by getting into the championship for the first time despite everyone claiming the club and town didn’t want this. After relegation the talk was about returning to that league. This will be the case if we get relegated from the prem. Wigan have this goal too now.

The pain of some awful years have been more than offset by what I have seen over the last 8 years since Eddie took charge. I hope I never lose my memory of special moments.

Worth adding that the next generation won’t neccesarily need to attend live games to support afcb given media coverage, fifa games and card collections like match attax, social media, topps kick and other topps cards. Being a supporter is more than just watching games and with AI and AR technologies, watching football will be unrecognisable from today’s experience.
Of course you’re only thinking of Premier League football. There are other teams out there apparently.

Even then it’s the atmosphere created by fans inside the ground that draw the armchair supporters.

Putting money into the team first, coughing up 50m for 3 players to make us a better team. Our squad now is much better.
The project is only delayed for gods sake.

I think we've sussed we lack the backing or Investment to improve both on and off the pitch.

It doesn't make peoples opinions "rubbish" though.

Putting money into the team first, coughing up 50m for 3 players to make us a better team. Our squad now is much better.
Let's not forget that the transfers of Rico and Brooks were covered by the sales of Adobe, Grabban, Federico, Gradel. Nett spend is Lerma at £25m, so less than last summer.

It's worth reminding as well that Neill Blake and Jeff Mostyn said the player budget is not tied to the stadium budget and the stadium would be built regardless of what division we're in.

I wouldn’t say that the statement just says it was unrealistic by 2020. Previous statements by the club on the stadium stated it was not dependant on league status i.e the moneys there and it will be invested in a new stadium . This statement implies that it’s crucial we stay in the prem and only when we have some spare money would we consider investing in a new stadium.

In my mind something significant must of happened with regards to money people are willing to put in to the club.
But we also recouped millions selling players so it's not fifty million

Eddies comments on the setback are very 'the diplomatic Eddie' that we know him for and generally respect him for....but on this issue I wanted to see an Angry Eddie ! He will carry on in his determined way until someone like Alex Ferguson or other big club official leaps out from behind a bush with a bottle of something and whisks him off for 'a chat'. And please don't anyone feed me that c##p about how that won't happen...big clubs only want foreign managers cliche...the tide can turn! Eddie has impressed a lot of people!

Eddies comments on the setback are very 'the diplomatic Eddie' that we know him for and generally respect him for....but on this issue I wanted to see an Angry Eddie ! He will carry on in his determined way until someone like Alex Ferguson or other big club official leaps out from behind a bush with a bottle of something and whisks him off for 'a chat'. And please don't anyone feed me that c##p about how that won't happen...big clubs only want foreign managers cliche...the tide can turn! Eddie has impressed a lot of people!
We need you Bill to baffle the board into submission with your oratory skills

1. I think Neil is "right on the money".
2. What's changed since the original club announcement of the stadium?
a. Player transfer fees have continued to increase exponentially.
b. We got a real scare in the 2017-18 season, the first time in years we didn't improve. We were not far off relegation.
This would have created a dilemma for Eddie. We needed to improve the team or risk going down, and the cost of doing so was much higher than would have been anticipated in 2016.

;