The story of cherry bear

NornIron

First Team
Strange request: does anyone know the history of cherry bear? Like, why a bear and when did we first get a bear?

A journalist/author who came to a game last year hung out with me while I was another bear and they need some follow up info on Cherry.

I was told a version of a story where we have a bear just because that’s the costume that was hanging around a local bowling alley or something but I don’t know if that’s true.

All help appreciated!!

We had no money so we got the Bear on Loan

I was told a version of a story where we have a bear just because that’s the costume that was hanging around a local bowling alley or something but I don’t know if that’s true.

All help appreciated!![/QUOTE]

I remember him joining us in the old stadium at half-time, the person sat next to me knew the Bear.

Also he took on the Royal Marines in the Old Stadium. :grinning:

As for when it all started?

Thanks for the ....er.... help? :p

If anyone knows an approx date and origins that’d be great. I know the current Cherry well from my shenanigans last year and have a good insight to a matchday in the life but I’m hazy on the origins!

I'm sure this has been covered before and is off topic but who was it that took the Reading mascots head off at Dorch ? Can't have been Chukki can it ?

It may even have been from Shirley Del Settes time running the Junior Cherries.

I’m pretty certain it was during Shirley’s time that Cherry Bear was born.

I imagine it was a bear, being alliterative to Bournemouth. Cherry Cod wouldn’t sound so good.

I’m pretty certain it was during Shirley’s time that Cherry Bear was born.

I imagine it was a bear, being alliterative to Bournemouth. Cherry Cod wouldn’t sound so good.

For the uninitiated of us, when was Shirley’s time? I found an article online saying he was born in 2006 but that seems a bit late.

I'm sure this has been covered before and is off topic but who was it that took the Reading mascots head off at Dorch ? Can't have been Chukki can it ?

It was Chukki - but the mascots' head fell off while taking penalties against Cherry Bear - and Chukki picked it up and ran off with it

;)
I remember him joining us in the old stadium at half-time, the person sat next to me knew the Bear.

Also he took on the Royal Marines in the Old Stadium. :grinning:

As for when it all started?

Not sure when cherry bear arrived but when he battered those marines - brilliant ! Nothing better since, although I did like the 'lob the ball into the cement mixer' half time entertainment we had for a while ;)sponsored by Travis Perkins or something !

;