The youth - a first?

langham

First Team
Well, well - our youngsters are doing something special. When was the last time we had half a dozen "kids" playing with this quality? In over 60 years of watching Boscombe I can't remember a crop like this. After tonight there'll be scouts looking at Anthony, Zemura, Rossi, Kilkenny and co ... we'll do well to hold onto this lot.

Credit to Eddie and the team for developing this crew a few years back and to SP for giving them a go.

This is also the first crop that are graduating that were in the youth system after we starting to give it more funding and could be viewed as a Championship+ club. Gives lots of hope as to who else might be on the conveyor belt to come through in the next 3-4 years.

We'll need them all season too with all these fixtures. At the moment, decisions are made for Parker but he'll have to decide how to rotate when the other players come back.

let's be honest, Eddie would have only played them in the cup, never in the league. In the prem in 5 years think he only ever promoted surridge, Simpson, baily Cargill and Travers into the starting 11 from youth ranks.

Who would he have played instead of the youth players in the games this season do you reckon? Neil Moss and Steve Hard?

let's be honest, Eddie would have only played them in the cup, never in the league. In the prem in 5 years think he only ever promoted surridge, Simpson, baily Cargill and Travers into the starting 11 from youth ranks.

Impossible to know. I think Eddie did enough to show he was willing to give youth a fair shot. These players weren't available when Eddie was here and neither was the threadbare squad.

Stupid statement.

Just enjoy the win without feeling the need to take a cheap shot at someone for no appraent reason.

Went to watch afcb u21 at Maidenhead on Tuesday. Looked like u18 given so many u21 in the first team squad. Looked small vs national league opposition but clearly played like an atcb team. Some decent moves and passing.

I know a few on here get on their high horse re so many old players but I think it’s brilliant for afcb likes of Cooper, Connell,Stewart, Cummings etc are helping to develop the kids with a consistent style of play and understanding the old pre prem afcb. Long may it continue.

I saw them at Torquay last week - the same. U18s having to step up. What was remarkable was how they persisted in playing it out from the back even when it continually got them into trouble.

We must have been the only AFCB fans who paid for their tickets - the rest were family and friends. Which meant we had to be judicious in our discussion of players.

I saw them at Torquay last week - the same. U18s having to step up. What was remarkable was how they persisted in playing it out from the back even when it continually got them into trouble.

We must have been the only AFCB fans who paid for their tickets - the rest were family and friends. Which meant we had to be judicious in our discussion of players.

big step up from afcb youth to national league teams. Saw a Hampshire cup game at Havant and Waterlooville a couple of years ago and it was men v boys stuff. Admire their resilience to keep doing the right thing despite being up against it.

This is also the first crop that are graduating that were in the youth system after we starting to give it more funding and could be viewed as a Championship+ club. Gives lots of hope as to who else might be on the conveyor belt to come through in the next 3-4 years.
Plus Eddie was renowned for developing young players. That could have all gone to waste, but SP has same reputation. One would hope that will be pivotal in attracting the quality younger players that become available. Its almost like the board had a plan......

We can easily stay in the top bracket of this league by having a half and half mixture of Youth and Experience..thereby jettisoning the need for too many large money - wasting Transfers In.
Money needs to be apportioned eventually for Bigger Stadia and maybe a few bricks consigned slightly northwards to Canford Maggers...assuming we still want that there New fangled Training Complexity.

Plus Eddie was renowned for developing young players. That could have all gone to waste, but SP has same reputation. One would hope that will be pivotal in attracting the quality younger players that become available. Its almost like the board had a plan......
Indeed, It was clear that the board wanted SP after Eddie left and then when JT left.

Be interesting to see how the team changes when Smith, Stacey, Steve Cook, Lewis Cook, Lerma, Pearson come back to full fitness. I believe Anthony has cemented his starting position especially with Danjuma gone, but I hope the likes of Zemura, Rossi and Kilkenny aren't just moved aside.

I feel much calmer with Rossi with the ball at his feet then Kelly at times.

@SlowDownDerek my theory is that Eddie when he quit wanted assurances that lots of money would have been available to sign people, I suspect the board were nervous after the main signings for our last Prem season Kelly and Danjuma were rarely fit.
@CherriesOnTop it isn't a stupid statement I made, I named the only youngsters Eddie started in the league in 5 seasons, he liked signing players and despite likes of Tomlin, Atsu, Iturbe, Ibe, Murray, and Bennett not working out, overall the signings overall did well enough to last 5 years in the top flight. I wasnt having a pop at our best ever manager. I concede that perhaps our youngsters are now better quality, the ones Eddie used in cups are now clubless or in lower divisions, Matt Worthington (Yeovil) Corey Jordan (last seen at Weymouth), Jordan Green (last seen at Southend), and Matt Butcher (doing well at Accrington).

The year 2104...the ' last humans' are on their last legs. Hank Marvin Syndrome in the ascendancy... the last Pie was consumed by the great grandson of one L.Tomlin ( tangents ...but he was mentioned in the previous post).....the Pie itself was being touted by its Agent to find the most famous Consumee on Gods Ailing Earth.. the Agent got garroted somewhere near Newcastle- under Lyme..and all Faeries died alongside him.. ..and dropped into a passing black- hole.
Doom....Bar.. not a bad pint...after several...

Last edited:
Parker won't be swayed by any emotional claptrap by the star- crossed aficionados of the likes of Lerma £ 25 Million Tagmafia....the geezer( I sincerely hope )/is his own man and will judge things on the merits of what's in front of him..OK if Lerma HIMSELF wants to Commit 109% that's fine...he is an asset when firing.. but we will see ..

Last edited:

;