Things footballers shout

Games without, or with very few, fans at least mean you can hear what players and coaching staff shout. What staggers me is the ubiquitous shout of “away” at each incoming corner, free kick or cross. WTF else do they imagine defenders are going to do?

And of course no thread on footballers’ shouts is complete without this

https://www.thesun.ie/video/football/harry-arter-pretends-to-be-a-watford-player-and-shouts-at-nathaniel-chalobah-to-leave-theiball-and-miss-a-shooting-chance/

I think there is a semi-logical reason for this even though it's a bit sunday league.

Often it is the keeper and really it is the opposite of shouting "Keeper's" so basically "get rid as I'm not going to catch it".

But yeah, mostly what I've learnt from lockdown is that the shouting from players/coaches in the PL is just as basic as in sunday league. Waiting for an "AVE ITTT".

Makes me smile watching a woman's game hearing the players shout "Man on!" Sexist if you ask me, surely it should be "Woman on" or "Girly on" :grinning:

Used to be able to hear Jimmy Glass screaming 'head away!' several times a game, above the crowd noise, back in the day

;