This seasons loans…

blandford_cherry

UTC Legend
Have been Bizarre.

Laird - I know when we signed him Smith was out, but the prognoses would be that he would be back by February, Laird wasn’t fully fit but was by all accounts playing very well for Swansea. With Stacey as ample back up did we really need a 3rd championship quality right back to cover those few weeks? Now can’t make the squad due to either fitness or tactical reasons and looks like a waste of ours, his and Man Utd’s time,

Woodman - Ill yesterday but unless Parker (unjustifiably) dropped Travers the game after Woodman arrived he was never going to displace our player of the season so far and will probably go back to Newcastle with the solo fa cup appearance. Again, by all accounts a quality keeper. Did he come here knowing he was number 2? Not sure what’s more favourable, being 3rd choice at Newcastle or 2nd choice here but again looks a waste of everyone’s time considering his form for Swansea in this league last season.

Cantwell - I’m sure he will get more game time in the coming weeks and would prefer him over Billing at times but again I would imagine he came here thinking he would be one of the first names on the team sheet. He seems to be enjoying it down here so one to watch for the last 9 games

Davis - when he signed we didn’t know what a revolution Zemura would be so I can see that, Leeds had every right to recall him in January but didn’t, again can’t make the squad perhaps he’s injured. Quality player and gave Zemura the kick up the backside he needed a few weeks ago where he was dropped to the bench but subsequently went off unjured

Morgan Rogers - Nothing needs to be explained.

It doesn’t seem like us to make so many strange loan signings as some said on here at the time in January it was more a case of throw the kitchen sink at getting promoted.

A decent performance yesterday allows me to overthink these things….!

Loans are a bit hit or miss. I think Davis has been a fairly decent loanee and I hope that Cantwell will like to stay with us for the PL. I'd say Rogers has been a let down

Loans are a bit hit or miss. I think Davis has been a fairly decent loanee and I hope that Cantwell will like to stay with us for the PL. I'd say Rogers has been a let down

More miss than hit. Rogers is back at City. Cantwell won’t want to stay if he can’t get regular game time at the moment I wouldn’t have thought. He’s out of favour at Norwich and obviously came here to play minutes.

The Laird one is truly bizarre. We went to the effort to get his parent club to cancel his season long loan at Swansea only to then not even have him in the match day squad. He excelled all season as a wing back (a position we don’t play) and now he can’t get near our team because he apparently doesn’t understand how to perform the role that Parker wants from a right back. All this despite having 2 right backs at the club anyway (Smith was soon to return to fitness at this point.) This kind of situation is why I find it very hard to heap any kind of praise on Hughes/Blake. I’ve seen people praise them for their work in the market and there have been some good ones this season for sure, but from what I can see it generally seems to be a bit of a scattergun approach with not a lot of thought put into it.

Ps if true that there is a 10m+ OBLIGATION to buy Rogers if we get promoted and we do go up, both deserve to lose their jobs lol

I've wondered the same thing about Laird but thinking about it, the club was damned if they do, damned if they don't. If Smith doesn't come back when expected or experiences a flare up and we haven't signed a RB then everyone would be giving them pelters for not bringing in an option since we knew there was a problem. As it is, Smith is fit and firing so they're criticised the other way.

I know why the club signed Woodman and it makes sense from our perspective. I've no idea why he agreed to come though.

For Davis, there isn't necessarily a recall clause for Leeds. I don't remember it being reported they had one but may have missed it. Again, makes sense for us to keep him as any injury to Zemura and he's needed.

Rogers made sense on paper but bombed. It can happen.

Cantwell will have a big part to play in the weeks ahead still. I can still see that one becoming permanent. He's just being kept out by players in very good form but rotation will bring him back soon.

The one I don't understand is Phillips. He seems nice enough. Fair quality. Nothing that we couldn't have got from S Cook though, and given the loan fee SC was cheaper so it wasn't a monetary thing.

The one I don't understand is Phillips. He seems nice enough. Fair quality. Nothing that we couldn't have got from S Cook though, and given the loan fee SC was cheaper so it wasn't a monetary thing.

Agree. Philips has been decent but is he really a significant upgrade on Cook and even Mepham?

Cantwell an opportunity too good to turn down and agree that he should get plenty of game time in the run-in.

I’m sure I read that Rogers had to make 20 league appearances for the obligation to buy to kick in. Hope that is the case or it would be a pretty bad situation for both him and the club.

Think Davis has done okay and looks a prospect potentially.
Laird probably needs time to get his full fitness back to be fair.
Rogers well not ready for this level of football and it just hasn’t worked out for him
Phillips decent but as said an upgrade on CookMepham or Cahill? I can understand why Parker went in for him though
Cantwell I still think he has significant part to play over the coming weeks when we will need to breakdown some tough sides in games.

Mark McAdam reported that it was only an option, not an obligation.

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfoot...uad-for-2nd-half-of-season.15342/#post-596434
Manchester evening post reported that it was an option but turned into an obligation if we were to be promoted. If you think about it then this makes sense. What other reasoning would there be for Man City refusing to cancel his loan despite the fact that we didn’t even register him in the squad for the 2nd half of the season?

Agree. Philips has been decent but is he really a significant upgrade on Cook and even Mepham?

Cantwell an opportunity too good to turn down and agree that he should get plenty of game time in the run-in.

I’m sure I read that Rogers had to make 20 league appearances for the obligation to buy to kick in. Hope that is the case or it would be a pretty bad situation for both him and the club.
I agree re Phillips. From a defensive perspective he isn’t any better than Cook or Mepham. The one thing he does offer that they don’t is the ability to hit an accurate cross field ball (Cook was especially woeful at this,) but that’s it from what I can see.

The thing to remember about loans is that they do not always walk into the teams and make a difference. They are to bolster the entire squad. If you want promotion you cannot rely on your first teamers staying fit so part of the job of loans in January is to bolster the potential replacements, not just walk into a team. Having Cantwell to come in for potential injuries is HUGE and while I would argue he might be a better option than Billing, you cannot moan hes there if needed.

Injuries do seem to have caused issues for several loanees though. The irony of that following my above comments is not lost on me.

I've wondered the same thing about Laird but thinking about it, the club was damned if they do, damned if they don't. If Smith doesn't come back when expected or experiences a flare up and we haven't signed a RB then everyone would be giving them pelters for not bringing in an option since we knew there was a problem. As it is, Smith is fit and firing so they're criticised the other way.

I know why the club signed Woodman and it makes sense from our perspective. I've no idea why he agreed to come though.

For Davis, there isn't necessarily a recall clause for Leeds. I don't remember it being reported they had one but may have missed it. Again, makes sense for us to keep him as any injury to Zemura and he's needed.

Rogers made sense on paper but bombed. It can happen.

Cantwell will have a big part to play in the weeks ahead still. I can still see that one becoming permanent. He's just being kept out by players in very good form but rotation will bring him back soon.

Couple of points:

-Laird- the logic you apply is fine but kind of crumbles to pieces when you take into account that he isn’t even a right back! I could understand to some extent if we recruited another right back for the reasoning you gave, but this lad is a right wing back! He played played there predominantly for the Man U youth sides and exclusively for MK Dons and Swansea. Don’t understand why we would sign him and then not play him because he doesn’t fill Parker’s expectation of what a right back should be. No s**t Sherlock! Feel sorry for the lad, we should have let the poor guy stay at Swansea and play games.

-Phillips, not entirely true that he doesn’t offer anything that Cook doesn’t. He offers the ability to switch play with a long diagonal, Cook definitely didn’t have that in his locker. But aside from that I agree.

;