Thoughts on the match V Sheff Utd

A fantastic response to going behind, a real “refuse to lose” mentality becoming apparent. After a long time I feel as though I support a team of players I like and am proud to have playing for AFCB.

Such a turnaround in such a short space of time is most unexpected and possibly unprecedented (?).

Massive credit to all involved in putting past problems to bed and moving forward with a common purpose. A lot of clubs never recover from getting relegated from the PL but it looks as though in our second season here we will be one of the hot favourites for promotion. We are not just getting the required results but we are showing great character in doing so. We seem to have what Norwich had last season and what ultimately put them ahead of all others.

I think we can start to believe. I think this team has what it takes to get automatic promotion ( barring disasters ).

:utc:

Hmmm - some people getting carried away. Battling win but possession stats not good. Sheff U played some decent, neat football, winning most second balls and keeping us under pressure. They missed some sitters - we had decent luck. That being said - good team effort, with Pearson outstanding (my MoM) and energy all over the pitch. Solanke isolated much of the time - should we play another striker? Notwithstanding these reservations I have us down for the top two.

at the end when the bombardment began if they scored it would of been because of pinball not because of a well worked goal. apart from there goal they were not that dangerous ( I couldn't see how close they went in first half for sure due to my seat) in the conditions today I was happy for them to have more possession as it was less chance for a slip up or bad control from our defence.
like others have said I was comfortable at 2-1 unlike under eddie/JT/JW when we needed a 3 goal lead to get any points

bit biased this summation imo. They were the better team for the majority and played the better football, they were far from a long ball team. Only went direct late on. Kelly was at fault for the goal, he was also very nearly at fault for two others, lapse in the first half to let Sharp in and allowing the ball to travel across the six yard box without dealing with it.
Dont care if it's biased . I came out of that absolutely buzzing ! Not the greatest in quality, awful weather, some odd refereeing decisions, 6 minutes of added time ( how did he work that out ??) but came back from a goal down, shut their supporters up, stuck two fingers up to the sheff utd supporting ref, wonderful atmosphere, players pumping fists in the air at the end. It was f@xking fantastic to watch so I make no apologies for being biased! Top of the league and shoved it up the northern monkeys

My verdict-
And I’m aware that this is going to trigger a few people…
Positives:
-every player, to a man, is fighting for the cause like their life depends on it. This was severely lacking at times last season but SP has really instilled a togetherness and fight into this group of players. Even Billing pressing like a madman, for this Parker deserves great credit.
-when we do have spells and phases in games we look very threatening, we look capable of carving teams open when we are having these spells. These spells within games also seem to go hand in hand with a noticeable increase in our intensity both on and off the ball. If we can work out how to sustain these periods of intensity for longer periods throughout games then we are laughing….
Negatives:
-we are also having extended periods during games in which we look quite laboured and are essentially just holding onto possession for the sake of having possession. This style of football can only be effective from an attacking perspective if played at a very high intensity: pressing high as a team at every opportunity, switching play as quickly as possible at every opportunity, moving the ball quickly and working in rotating triangles when out wide, turning the ball regularly into the channels with quality to move us into the opposition third. If we are off our game at any point with any of these aspects then we can look, for want of a better word ‘lacklustre,’ and not like creating anything. We don’t really have the players to play our way through the lines and up the pitch so this ‘intensity’ is pivotal to the way we play.
-The way we are setting ourselves up to hold onto leads is suicidal and only luck is seeing us through right now, that will catch up with us. If we had a back four full of Gary Cahill’s in might be feasible, but we don’t. We have a five foot something left back frequently defending against a giant at the back post. We have a centre back in Kelly who despite looking very good for long spells, will then make incredibly bizarre decisions or have severe lapses in concentration/positioning. His defending for the chance that hit the bar was crazy, letting the ball travel across the six yard box is one of the first thing you are taught as a young defender NOT to do. I know he was facing his own goal at the time (positioning debatable as it wasn’t hard to see that situation unfolding) but he could have quite easily dealt with that situation by getting the ball to safety imo. Just an example, but if we’re going to be defending our area for extended spells and not concede then we need defenders who can stay focused and make better decisions than what we have in the squad (Cahill excluded.)
So it’s been a good start, but let’s not pretend there isn’t quite a bit to work on in terms of performances.
Wasn’t there today as laid up with Covid (not a Croatian au pair before anyone asks) so can’t comment too much. The only thing I’d say about lull periods is aren’t they natural? Even Eddie’s great side had a pattern of a blitz ten minutes to start and a strong finish but often a disappointing first fifteen mins just after half time.

The only side I have seen that goes at a team with an energetic press for 90mins was Klopps Liverpool in the two years they amassed those huge points totals. There was a theory in Germany that it was unsustainable and burnt his teams out which it looks may be the case for him here too.

I think we need to have longer good spells yes, and think we will as the team is on a style change and learning journey. I think people expecting us to own 90 mins though need to think back to was there ever a game where you expected us not to own any spells at all because that is what you are now expecting of our opponents.

Hmmm - some people getting carried away. Battling win but possession stats not good. Sheff U played some decent, neat football, winning most second balls and keeping us under pressure. They missed some sitters - we had decent luck. That being said - good team effort, with Pearson outstanding (my MoM) and energy all over the pitch. Solanke isolated much of the time - should we play another striker? Notwithstanding these reservations I have us down for the top two.

Some posters will take huge offence at you identifying a few faults. Not sure why as Scott Parker says the same!

As you say though, doesn’t stop us admiring what has been achieved already and looking ahead to the rest of the season.

Great game , really entertaining in very difficult conditions…
Both sides played some real slick football at times and some not so good stuff .
Good bit of niggle in the game , Smudger revelling in it this season , Christie with a couple of glorious cross field passes - everyone put it in .
Poor JA must have upset Parker for some reason as he was absolutely blowing out of his backside , even signalling he wanted to come off - yet he stayed on till the end as SP subbed three others ….
Worth getting soaked for !
UTCIAD.
In other news, we've finally found out the secret identity of Zorro

My verdict-
And I’m aware that this is going to trigger a few people…
Positives:
-every player, to a man, is fighting for the cause like their life depends on it. This was severely lacking at times last season but SP has really instilled a togetherness and fight into this group of players. Even Billing pressing like a madman, for this Parker deserves great credit.
-when we do have spells and phases in games we look very threatening, we look capable of carving teams open when we are having these spells. These spells within games also seem to go hand in hand with a noticeable increase in our intensity both on and off the ball. If we can work out how to sustain these periods of intensity for longer periods throughout games then we are laughing….
Negatives:
-we are also having extended periods during games in which we look quite laboured and are essentially just holding onto possession for the sake of having possession. This style of football can only be effective from an attacking perspective if played at a very high intensity: pressing high as a team at every opportunity, switching play as quickly as possible at every opportunity, moving the ball quickly and working in rotating triangles when out wide, turning the ball regularly into the channels with quality to move us into the opposition third. If we are off our game at any point with any of these aspects then we can look, for want of a better word ‘lacklustre,’ and not like creating anything. We don’t really have the players to play our way through the lines and up the pitch so this ‘intensity’ is pivotal to the way we play.
-The way we are setting ourselves up to hold onto leads is suicidal and only luck is seeing us through right now, that will catch up with us. If we had a back four full of Gary Cahill’s in might be feasible, but we don’t. We have a five foot something left back frequently defending against a giant at the back post. We have a centre back in Kelly who despite looking very good for long spells, will then make incredibly bizarre decisions or have severe lapses in concentration/positioning. His defending for the chance that hit the bar was crazy, letting the ball travel across the six yard box is one of the first thing you are taught as a young defender NOT to do. I know he was facing his own goal at the time (positioning debatable as it wasn’t hard to see that situation unfolding) but he could have quite easily dealt with that situation by getting the ball to safety imo. Just an example, but if we’re going to be defending our area for extended spells and not concede then we need defenders who can stay focused and make better decisions than what we have in the squad (Cahill excluded.)
So it’s been a good start, but let’s not pretend there isn’t quite a bit to work on in terms of performances.

Factoring in extra time we have played over 1,000 minutes of league football this season. We have been behind for six of those minutes. If we can do that whilst looking laboured, lacking focus and defending suicidally, that is fine by me.

The stats I really like are the 25 pts from 11 games (of course) but just as importantly the Goals Against column - 8 conceded.

Equal best to Derby who are bottom due to a points deduction.

;