Thoughts on today v Luton

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Sometimes you judge a game on it's own, sometimes it forms part of an overarching pattern to consider.

Slow start? Check.
AFCB goal against the run of play? Check.
AFCB dominate and score a second? Check.
Opposition make tactical changes at half time? Check.
The balance of play completely changes in the second half? Check.
Parker doesn't make changes? Check.
They score? Check.
Parker then looks to shut up shop? Check.
Nail biting finish? Check.

There are always unexpected games when you need to sit in to protect a lead. It shouldn't be happening in virtually every match though. It's a sign something isn't quite right in the tactics. Especially with that regular pattern.

Having said all that, we're top of the table and remain unbeaten in the league. Still, that doesn't mean we shouldn't recognise where we have an issue. That was the mistake with Tindall, a belief as long as the points came it would all work out in the end. Let's not allow history to repeat itself.

Postives: Christie's first half performance

Negatives: Christie and Billing's second half performances. Anonymous would be kind. Plus, the second half tactics.

Trying to walk the ball into the net,
Not enough movement
there was enough chances to take a shot on the edge of the box but preferred to knock it out wide.

Here's the xG timeline to back up the summaries. We registered no shots in the second half. Billing's chance was rated more or less 50:50, whereas Dom's goal was about 1 in 12. They had Adabeyo's big miss early on (6 in 10), the goal was nearly 7 in 10 and Adebayo's late chance was about 1 in 3. The stats alone look like we were lucky to get all 3 points.

Nerve-wracking listening on the radio as it sounded like one way traffic in the second half.

Capture.JPG

I just travelled back in time and watched the Blackpool game again. This time we held on for the win.

Such a negative second half. Handed them the initiative, then sat back. Christie gave smith no options. Every pass from Christie went sideways or back.

We retreated, leaving no options upfield.

Mepham again, an indication of the 'safe' aspect of Parker's tactics. We looked more vulnerable with 3 centre halves.

In summary, parker hasn't learned from the Blackpool game. That's his preferred tactic.

That second half was unacceptable to be honest, we hung on which is obviously good but we were literally pinned back to the edge of our own area for the entire half. We offered absolutely nothing in return and in all honesty we seemed to be content to hold out for what we had. I get that it is natural to drop deep to protect a lead but not to that extent and not so early in the game. The thing that bothers me most is that it doesn’t appear to be something that’s totally forced upon us, it seems to be a conscious decision.

I hope we get the win against Peterborough on Weds because after that, October looks like a tough month:

Home v Sheffield United (looking like they've turned their form around)

Away v Bristol City (not lost in six, drew with Fulham today)

Away v Stoke City (right up there)

Home v Huddersfield Town (poor couple of results but currently still in the top seven)

Away to Reading (currently top ten and always a match that has a little extra Cajun)

If we're still top and can say we're playing well after that run then we'll be in a pretty good place.

Christie got two assists
I just travelled back in time and watched the Blackpool game again. This time we held on for the win.

Such a negative second half. Handed them the initiative, then sat back. Christie gave smith no options. Every pass from Christie went sideways or back.

We retreated, leaving no options upfield.

Mepham again, an indication of the 'safe' aspect of Parker's tactics. We looked more vulnerable with 3 centre halves.

In summary, parker hasn't learned from the Blackpool game. That's his preferred tactic.
Christie who got two assists? Who created our only two chances of the day? Not sure he was the problem lol

That second half was unacceptable to be honest, we hung on which is obviously good but we were literally pinned back to the edge of our own area for the entire half. We offered absolutely nothing in return and in all honesty we seemed to be content to hold out for what we had. I get that it is natural to drop deep to protect a lead but not to that extent and not so early in the game. The thing that bothers me most is that it doesn’t appear to be something that’s totally forced upon us, it seems to be a conscious decision.
Maybe we would have been better off if Jeff had got sent off like last year :)

He does qualify it by referring to his second half performance and he's right. Christie was very poor in the second period but that carried through to so many players that you have to wonder if it was an issue that could have been addressed with changes from the touchline.

Just looked at stats
AFCB possession 60% attempts 6 on target 2 corners 4

Luton possession 40% attempts 9 on target 3 corners 7

Looking at other teams stats , many have made well into double figure attempts,think we have to do better.

SP said himself there is a lot more to come from this squad.

Second was shocking, although it pains me to say it, they changed a player and the formation at half time and we didn't deal with it. Their goal was inevitable when it came . A fair few of our players went missing in that second half. Parker's defensive tactics with 15 minutes to go just encourage the opposition to push further forward which makes things a bit squeaky ! That said , we held on and got 3 points.

I hope we get the win against Peterborough on Weds because after that, October looks like a tough month:

Home v Sheffield United (looking like they've turned their form around)

Away v Bristol City (not lost in six, drew with Fulham today)

Away v Stoke City (right up there)

Home v Huddersfield Town (poor couple of results but currently still in the top seven)

Away to Reading (currently top ten and always a match that has a little extra Cajun)

If we're still top and can say we're playing well after that run then we'll be in a pretty good place.
We’ve got better players than all of these teams, we shouldn’t fear anyone.

We’ve got better players than all of these teams, we shouldn’t fear anyone.

You don't have to fear someone to show them respect. You don't have to fear someone to believe they might do a better job of scoring against a team sitting in and hanging on than some of the teams we've faced recently.

I said second half. Maybe that wasn't clear.
Neither did I say he was the problem.
Apologies, I misread the bit where you said second half. Just thought that in the context of the entire game it was strange to pick out the only player to create anything.

;