Three Dumb Questions

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
Without the benefit of face-to-face local discussion, questions occasionally come to mind. Probably dumb ones to most of you, but I don't mind being the foil for some scorn. So:

1) Do the referees and assistants work as a unit throughout the season? By that, I mean are the same AR's regularly assigned together to the same referee? In some major North American sports, it is customary to have umpires for baseball or officials for football to work together as a unit for most of the season, so just wondering if that happens in the PL or Championship? Occurred to me today as there seemed to be some communication issues between the referee and the assistants.

2) Why is one assistant's flag plain and the other is patterned?

3) Should we get to the two-game semi-final, what is the prevailing wisdom on whether it is better to have the first or the second game at home? Is it assigned by the table?

Thanks guys, as always.

TJ.

1) Good question not actually sure but I don't believe so?

2) Purely for identification. Allows players/media/fans ect. to quickly identify which assistant ref is which

3) Think this is down to personal preference. I personally think it's better to have to home game second as you get the home advantage when you know exactly what score you need to get through + potential advantage in extra time/pens.
3rd and 4th place get the home tie in the second leg

1) No. They're all qualified referees (used to be Class 1, they have some other ranking system now)
2) Just to differentiate each other.
3) Don't think it matters this season, with no fans. Normally, I'd say 2nd leg at home.

In European matches there often used to be the same ref and linesmen in a team. I remember linos such as Darren Cann always being teamed with a ref whose name escapes me

The fear sometimes if you play away first then home side can build an advantage that is easier for them to play in second game. Thus a home game first can be helpful if you can get a couple of goals up.

although behind closed doors means home advantage is lessened, afcb are still far better at home than away.

the psychology of winning the first leg is always an interesting one as can make teams more cautious rather than looking to attack as normal in the second leg.

Thus recently Spurs in europa league thought they had won the tie in winning first home leg 2-0 but then lost 0-3 away. Similarly when we got to Wembley in nineties, we won 2-0 away at Walsall first leg and then were terrible at home, trailing 3-1 before a late Franck rolling goal saw through 4-3 on aggregate.

1) I actually believe the ref and 2 linos do work as a team, but perhaps I've just got that mixed up from Europe
2) Pointless now they're all mic'd up imo
3) Doesn't matter without fans. With fans, home second. Go away first and take a draw.

We ought to explain to Toronto John that the term ‘Lino’ is the preferred word of choice for us older ..... er, coughs loudly ..... ‘soccer’ supporters.

Lino as in the term ‘Linesman’ which pre-dates the use of female Lino’s which might well have been known as Linoettes but for some strange reason, it wasn’t. Thus the term ‘Assistant Referees’ was proposed and seconded by a group of FIFA numpties and became part of the game of Association Football.

I must also point out that the word ‘Lino’ should not be mistaken for the cheap floor covering product which is still used in the UK today, and something that my Aunt Edna used to tell everyone who would listen, how wonderful the newly fitted Lino was in her kitchen in the mid-60’s. You might well know this product as Linoleum.

In closing, in any one football stadium the length and breadth of the UK, the referee’s would of course normally have a huge amount of assistants anyway, the most of which could be found in the stadium seating or standing areas. If the referee failed to grant a decision the way of these ‘assistants’ the same people then had the free choice to chant that the referee was in fact a banker in his full time employment.

Sir, I rest my case. ;)

1) No. They're all qualified referees (used to be Class 1, they have some other ranking system now)
2) Just to differentiate each other.
3) Don't think it matters this season, with no fans. Normally, I'd say 2nd leg at home.
I think there may be some crowd allowed for the play-off semis as it is after May 17th so it could be relevant

Question 2.

The correct answer is that it is the senior of the two linos who has the chequered flag. They assist the fourth officials with substitutions as well.

So what’s the answer when they have the same flag?5FCFF8E9-A67C-404D-AAE5-498ABDEE504F.jpeg1C955E30-9820-4CB4-ABA0-20456890852B.jpeg

Assistant referee was brought in as a term to demonstrate they were qualified referees and therefore deserved more respect...

Rather than have cushions thrown at them.

Assistant referee was brought in as a term to demonstrate they were qualified referees and therefore deserved more respect...

Rather than have cushions thrown at them.
Someone can confirm or otherwise, but someone who is not a qualified ref at a low amateur level is still a linesperson.

I recall part of the change was as said above to recognise the qualifications, but also utilise those qualifications.

Prior to the change, a linesperson could only indicate when the ball went across a line to make it out of play or a goal, and for looking across the line for offside. The assistant however because they are qualified, is able to make other decisions, in particular indicate a foul and bring things to refs attention that might result in a red or yellow card.

I recall the change was because people complained that surely the lino saw that and could help the ref, but technically that wasn't their job.

;