Tindall/Parker Dejavu

AFCBmattjamr

First Team
Forgive me I've had a bit to drink and I'm sure I'm about to get roasted but apart from having a more likeable team due to the introduction of youth players (through necessity rather than choice btw) I can't see any improvements from a tindall team to a Parker team.
2020 after 5 games = 11 pts
2021 after 5 games = 9 pts
Both managers not losing but picking up many draws.
Both managers struggled against poorer quality opposition.
Both managers got decent results against higher quality opposition.
Both manager struggled to find a clinical edge + can't organise a defense.

Serious Dejavu here and obviously there's a lot of football left to play but I'm fully expecting a similar limp to a play off place as a best case scenario.

Why did we want Parker again??

Forgive me I've had a bit to drink and I'm sure I'm about to get roasted but apart from having a more likeable team due to the introduction of youth players (through necessity rather than choice btw) I can't see any improvements from a tindall team to a Parker team.

Serious Dejavu here and obviously there's a lot of football left to play but I'm fully expecting a similar limp to a play off place as a best case scenario.

We didn't want him (Fulham fans did warn us) the board (NB &RH) did ,you reap what you sow,so far it looks like what we have sown is a field of weeds.

Can’t really argue with that tbh. The one difference is that at least you can see a recognisable philosophy that SP is trying to implement, the problem is that I don’t believe we have the players to effectively fit this philosophy. Worrying this is that Blackpool and Hull are the two poorest teams we face this season, Forest are also very poor and we scraped past them.

I don't recall Tindall or Woodgate losing 0-6. I do remember an entertaining 1-2 defeat away to Manchester City.

Obviously this isn't all on Parker. It wasn't all on Tindall either. I suspect Wilshire would have flourished with J.T. Woodgate obviously didn't value him (nor, seemingly, does anyone else).

Time will tell. I'm not happy with the way Parker is treating Steve Cook. Emphasising he didn't select Cookie for the latest tie, instead of couching it as a fitness issue. is completely without class. I'm equally unimpressed with the incoming, although I'm not sure who to blame for that.

I suspect this team needed more of a "kick ass" manager than the well dressed calm suited man. It's a shame he doesn't have a bit more of the temperament of his brother in law.

Agree too early to judge, and don't think the OP was so much, just highlighting what he can see and if anything, he wants a reason to believe it won't continue.

For now looks like SP has given us some structure which makes us hard to beat, but not sure he understands the players entirely yet.

For example, yesterday brings Davis on to wide left, sensible option, although not very attacking, yet in an earlier game he stuck him in a less natural wide right. While wide left would have been obvious to most if you're playing a left full back out of position, it's taken a few games for SP to see it.

Maybe when he understands, has confidence in and trusts this group more he will ask them to kick on. Right now though, don't think he trusts them to do the things that make a difference without risking the game. Problem is win 2 lose 1 gets you more than win 1 draw 2.

Parker vs Steve Cook, how do we know that SP is treating SC badly? I must have missed something somewhere. Anyone in the know? Is SC wanting away?

5 games in, not a full strength team (far from it for 3 games), a draw against arguably the best team in the league and people are starting to moan. Judge after 23 games.

Why would we judge after 23 games? This is who we are now as a club. Tindall wasn't given enough time, Woodgate wasn't given enough time. If Parker can't turn it around by Jan even though he hasn't been able to bring in the players he needs then he'll be straight out the door via a chorus of booing fans.

I think all we want is a team that rolls it’s sleeves up and has a good go, trying to entertain in the process.

My slight concern is that we have done less of that in the last three games than the first three. And yesterday we only had two ‘kids’ playing and one of those many people thought was our best player so don’t think we can blame using the kids.

This may take time though. It’s a complete change of style and formation. JT was a continuation of the previous two years of counter attacking Eddie football and JW was more of a mate that made the team smile again. This is different and won’t happen overnight.

Eddie and JT also had their squad in place to start the season. That’s important for momentum as Fulham and West Brom have shown. Our disastrous board haven’t afforded Scott that basic practice of promotion teams and we now are scrabbling around looking for a goal scorer (along with many others) with two days to go.

Can’t really argue with that tbh. The one difference is that at least you can see a recognisable philosophy that SP is trying to implement, the problem is that I don’t believe we have the players to effectively fit this philosophy. Worrying this is that Blackpool and Hull are the two poorest teams we face this season, Forest are also very poor and we scraped past them.
Is that philosophy to play players out of position?

I'm not hammering you, there's some interesting points there, but it's too early to judge.

I'll give him until Christmas.

That really is the vital time as I see it; we as fans need to see what kind of Christmas jumper he wears.

I'm not panicking yet. We are trying to win games and if our finishing had been better we would have 4 more points in the bag. It's a new philosophy and it will take time for the players to adjust. I'm pretty confident we won't get relegated!

Last edited:
Main difference with JT is that he had a newly relegated team with a lot of good players in it,Scott has had players sold and not really replaced.
I can definitely see a playing style and I think we look more confident playing it,especially out from the back(discount Norwich)

Let the bloke put his squad together,and judge him after 10 to 15 games.

To be honest,I'm happy with Champo consolidation and trying to build with hungry players,I can't stand the Prem.

Main difference with JT is that he had a newly relegated team with a lot of good players in it,Scott has had players sold and not really replaced.
I can definitely see a playing style and I think we look more confident playing it,especially out from the back(discount Norwich)

Let the bloke put his squad together,and judge him after 10 to 15 games.

To be honest,I'm happy with Champo consolidation and trying to build with hungry players,I can't stand the Prem.
JT wasn't allowed to sign anyone....the only difference between in terms of quality between last season and this is Danjuma and we actually put in some our best performances without him.

The main difference between JT and Parker is that JT would have potentially lost that game yesterday trying to win it.....Parker is never going to do that......we have a low risk pragmatic manager.
I agree with you regarding being happy in the Championship ....but I want to enjoy it ...so I'll always prefer a Manager who will risk losing a game trying to win rather than one who takes every point as a prisoner.

JT wasn't allowed to sign anyone....the only difference between in terms of quality between last season and this is Danjuma and we actually put in some our best performances without him.

The main difference between JT and Parker is that JT would have potentially lost that game yesterday trying to win it.....Parker is never going to do that......we have a low risk pragmatic manager.
I agree with you regarding being happy in the Championship ....but I want to enjoy it ...so I'll always prefer a Manager who will risk losing a game trying to win rather than one who takes every point as a prisoner.
Aside from Coventry away I can’t think of a single game we played well in without Danjuma. There aren’t too many that we performed well in under JT with him in the team tbf, he just decided drab games with bits of individual quality.

I was sceptical about the appointment of Parker but I think it's way to early to judge.

I think all we want is a team that rolls it’s sleeves up and has a good go, trying to entertain in the process.

Eddie and JT also had their squad in place to start the season. That’s important for momentum as Fulham and West Brom have shown. Our disastrous board haven’t afforded Scott that basic practice of promotion teams and we now are scrabbling around looking for a goal scorer (along with many others) with two days to go.

Agree sleeves rolled up that can entertain, but they are a rare breed. What we wouldn't give for the new Ian Bishop at the heart of it all, maybe that could be the new Lewis Cook when he returns.

I think your account of JT's early phase is bit out to suggest all his business was satisfactorily done early to give him a settled squad as the season started. He was dealing with the will Josh leave, won't he, when by contrast this year the Board have made a number of good early moves, Danjuma out in good time, Marcondes, Davis in very early. The difference is injuries have help Parker discover the hidden depth that no manager has been brave enough to discover.

I would also imagine JT's brief to Board on who he wanted and why was clearer. We may not have liked it but he was getting results, and understood the range of possibilities with each player. I am not convinced SP will figure out the best 11 for us for a long while, which means he can't possibly know what he needs if he doesn't know what the incoming has to fit with.

Reality no value gained in comparing EH, JT, JW and SP. We have not been more than a few points below top 6 of championship since I would guess 2014.

The fact is none of us could lace up our boots and give Dom a run for his spot, so even when we're critical of players, there's at least a semblance that we couldn't do better. Managers however, well, we can all put on a tracksuit or snazzy suit, so we expect them to be as AWESOME as we think we would be if we could set up the team each week. Truth is they are all a bit of a muchness, and there are very few stand out managers in the Prem let alone out league. JT did a good job, as did JW, just not quite good enough. SP is also doing a good job, we hope it will be good enough, but I can't see that's any more or less predictable from what we have seen so far.

He has my support but not without harmless comments here on theoretical changes. The irony being that if he read this, he might at least get more points of view from other people who saw the same games and have seen these play far more games than he has . For example, strongly agree with you about brooks being an option in the hole, and we missed the chance to try it Vs Norwich, albeit with Saydee ahead of him. It's just a shame he didn't use that game to see what we could go without the handbrake on.

SP seems happy to win 1 draw 2. (Three defenders on bench only Rogers for attacking). Marcondes replaced by Davis when we needed Saydee on bench to go for the win.

I want him to be brave enough to accept losing 1 to win 2, which has to be more entertaining. That may change if he figures out his first 11 and can start to trust this group to do more and including not get a recurrence of injuries while playing.

Aside from Coventry away I can’t think of a single game we played well in without Danjuma. There aren’t too many that we performed well in under JT with him in the team tbf, he just decided drab games with bits of individual quality.
Of the top of my head....4-0 Barnsley away... 5-0 Huddersfield at home ....in actual fact Brentford away is the perfect example of my point....we were fantastic in that game..as were Brentford... just two manager's trying to win the game....JT lost the game late on in fact by making an attacking change......The sort of 'mistake' that Parker won't make.
Some of of our attacking play in that game was a joy .... even without Danjuma....we could have easily been 3-4 nil up in the first 20 minutes.........we lost but I thoroughly enjoyed it ....that game was everything that was good about being in the Championship.

;