Transfer strategy

kirsikka

UTC Legend
I think the approach we've taken so far is interesting.

Our PL strategy was pretty clear. Identify the target and then go big straight away to try and get the deal over the line quickly. It meant we probably paid more on some deals that we needed to but it prevented a protracted process in which other clubs could get involved and may be more attractive to the target. Like in the Wilson Newcastle/Villa situation.

Now we have a much tighter budget we're starting to give off the impression that we'll make a bid that may be considered low and aren't afraid from walking away. Ipswich confirmed they'd turned down the deal for Kayden Jackson and we appear to have closed the door there. Now we've perhaps done the same with Ben Davies at Preston.

It's almost an about-face in approach to making deals. The club obviously need to send out the message that even though we have parachute payments and incoming transfer money, we also have a lot of bills to pay so we won't be held to ransom.

It should be interesting to see how it pans out over the next couple of weeks in players that we actually sign. If every bid is knocked back in the end we may have to change the approach a little.

Last edited:
We're clearly in a different pond now.

I think the sales we have made have been pretty good business so far, we just have to make sure we aren't caught short of overselling if our owner's statement of ambition is to be believed

I think the appointment of the Luton guy (apologies I forget his name) was good business also. Luton have been a club who have made some shrewd signings, and I think the only thing our club have done positively lately is identify his strengths to sign a bargain.

There's no doubt about it, we have to sell players

I think Tindall will have 10 million tops in a transfer budget.

Need to factor in options to take PL players on loan. There will be a bunch of players not named in PL squads when they finish their business so patience might reveal what we need, especially if we can maintain an attractive style. Previous years getting done early avoided potential competition from other PL clubs too.

Don't rule out lots of positive conversations but dependent on other moves. Like a long house moving chain, we maybe waiting for someone to start a domino effect.

Good thread, agree with all of the above. JT's "we're not close to bringing anyone in" isn't going to help the bedwetters (and may not be true) but we're clearly playing a longer game on this. Apart from transfer fees it's a tight line with wages too. Gone are the days - particularly on our rise through the leagues - when the contract negotiations were probably fairly brief.

We're clearly in a different pond now.

I think the sales we have made have been pretty good business so far, we just have to make sure we aren't caught short of overselling if our owner's statement of ambition is to be believed

I think the appointment of the Luton guy (apologies I forget his name) was good business also. Luton have been a club who have made some shrewd signings, and I think the only thing our club have done positively lately is identify his strengths to sign a bargain.

There's no doubt about it, we have to sell players

I think Tindall will have 10 million tops in a transfer budget.

This is a very different window in a very different time so I think teams will go and sign players to solve a problem they have if they have funds. The rest have unreasonable expectations on sales. Eg Liverpool wanting to pay £15m got Thiago but expecting £20m for Harry Wilson or Chelsea having half a new team but now being stuck with Moses, Drinkwater, Bakayoko etc once they reduce what they want for these players and they move to the lower end Prem clubs that will release the next level which is where we will be shopping now. I think its a 'we have what we have for Sept' and then mad panic in that last week with lots of loans.

....makes sense to go with what we have, as I think we had a big squad for PL...obviously if we lose two or three more than JT will be forced to bring in new players?

IMO we already need a couple of new faces and with begovic, arter and king seemingly destined to leave we'll need a few more including a forward and a keeper

If its true we've already been knocked back on more than one target, I hope we have a few more lined up within our price range

IMO we already need a couple of new faces and with begovic, arter and king seemingly destined to leave we'll need a few more including a forward and a keeper

If its true we've already been knocked back on more than one target, I hope we have a few more lined up within our price range
We definitely need more as it stands. Squad is very thin in certain areas.

JT stated there are a lot of players available so think it is a buyers market. Reality is starting xi is decent so looking for extra cover to develop. Plus see how youngsters like zumera and Ofoborh do. Think zumera’s displays mean we have our left back place covered now

;