Transfer targets!?

afcbmdl27

First Team
Season just weeks away and likely to lose King, Lerma, Brooks and Wilson.

Who would we realistically like to come?

I'm looking forward to seeing the youngsters get a chance.

Can see Surridge and Solanke as a good partnership!!

Won't need many new faces in will we?

If we can hang on to the players we want to hang on to then we really won't need to bring many in. Maybe take a punt on some bright young thing from a lower league team, but then again, we have youngsters of our own who were very close to or indeed did get their first PL start last season. They really should be Championship ready, so why not use them ?

If we are not very active in the transfer market I would not necessarily view that as a sign that Max is being stingy. It's much more likely that we are happy to go with our PL squad plus a few of our more promising youngsters thrown in. I think that would still leave us with a very strong squad.

But of course, much depends upon how many players we end up selling.

We'll definitely need at least 1 striker, and apparently Karlan Grant from Huddersfield is available. He'd be a perfect replacement for King. Assuming there's a change in style with a new manager, Kieffer Moore might be worth a punt. We were also linked with Ivan Toney last season. Don't know a lot about him but he scored bucket loads last season.

First thing is what does the current squad really look like

Ramsdale/Travers

Stacey/Smith - Mepham/Cook/Kelly/Simpson - Rico/Zemura

Brooks/Danjuma - Cook/Billing/Oforbhe/Gosling - Stanislas/Kilkenny/Taylor

Solanke/Surridge/Ndjoli/Scrimshaw

I've left out King, Wilson, and Lerma as I fully expect them to be gone before the season starts. I might have missed the odd player here and there, so please shout up where yo think someone is an option and I've left them out. From the above the first obvious weak points to me seem to be keeper, left back, and up top.

I'd like to see Travers out on loan next season, so an experienced keeper happy to warm the bench would be useful. Whether that's Begovic returning, or maybe Camp out of contract, or someone else entirely

I'm not sure Zemura is really ready for the first team yet, but pre season will tell us more in that regard, so cover definitely required at LB, not sure about what specific targets, but heard good things about Max Lowe and Nathan Ferguson from Derby and West Brom. Simpson might find his time is up as well, perhaps Ibsen Rossi or Dinesh Gillella will find themselves stepping up to that CB cover slot or getting decent level loan moves

Midfield looks pretty stacked, and no Eddie likely means no winger purchases this summer. Could yet see Billing move on (or even Lerma staying) which would mix it up a bit, but it's not an immediate need really

Up top, assuming we lose Cal and Josh, then Dom and Sam seem to pick themselves, but the drop off in quality/experience after that is pretty severe. Could be Scrimmies season to shine but he's not yet played at a professional level so Championship is a big ask. Ndjoli has done alright in Scotland, but also it seems a big step up. So cover and competition definitely needed. Likely in the form of Ivan Toney, there's been persistent links for a couple of years now, or any other suggestions

Last edited:
A lot would depend on who is appointed. For example, if Tindall takes the reins I can see some of Surman, Francis and Daniels getting one year extensions to help provide that continuity.

If a new man comes in then he will probably want to save that bit of the budget and bring in an experienced pro or two of his own to give him a voice in the dressing room.

If King and Wilson both go then we're light a striker. Since they cost the big bucks that's where we should be spending any money made available.

Having said all that, until we know who is in charge we don't know what formation they want to play and so that could change the needs dramatically.

For example, if Richard Hughes pulls some Italian joker out of the pack from nowhere maybe we'll need to find a libero.

As above if JT gets the job the first thing he'll do with tie Franno, Surman and Daniels to 1-2 year contracts, and fair enough I suppose. Tindall will need all the lieutenants and experienced pros in the camp that he can get onside, to help bend the dressing room to his command.

I think recruitment will be minimal. Not only is there basically no time, just the vibes I'm getting from all this is that Max wants to the club is live more within the means he's spent the last 10 years providing. No further significant injections for now at least.

That'll mean we sell a 3-4 to balance books a bit, target a couple of additions, probably youngsters, but predominantly expecting Tindall to fashion something using the squad he's got (not untalented or insubstantial as it is).

If we can only recruit 1-2 then it'll have to come up front or out wide, assuming that King and Wilson are off and Fraser is gone.

Of course I could be totally wrong, and Max will not only appoint Tindall but then give him a huge warchest to go shopping with. But given everything in the current circumstances, I highly doubt it.

First thing is what does the current squad really look like

Ramsdale/Travers

Stacey/Smith - Mepham/Cook/Kelly/Simpson - Rico/Zemura

Brooks/Danjuma - Cook/Billing/Oforbhe/Gosling - Stanislas/Kilkenny/Taylor

Solanke/Surridge/Ndjoli/Dobre

I've left out King, Wilson, and Lerma as I fully expect them to be gone before the season starts. I might have missed the odd player here and there, so please shout up where yo think someone is an option and I've left them out. From the above the first obvious weak points to me seem to be keeper, left back, and up top.

I'd like to see Travers out on loan next season, so an experienced keeper happy to warm the bench would be useful. Whether that's Begovic returning, or maybe Camp out of contract, or someone else entirely

I'm not sure Zemura is really ready for the first team yet, but pre season will tell us more in that regard, so cover definitely required at LB, not sure about what specific targets, but heard good things about Max Lowe and Nathan Ferguson from Derby and West Brom. Simpson might find his time is up as well, perhaps Ibsen Rossi or Dinesh Gillella will find themselves stepping up to that CB cover slot or getting decent level loan moves

Midfield looks pretty stacked, and no Eddie likely means no winger purchases this summer. Could yet see Billing move on (or even Lerma staying) which would mix it up a bit, but it's not an immediate need really

Up top, assuming we lose Cal and Josh, then Dom and Sam seem to pick themselves, but the drop off in quality/experience after that is pretty severe. Could be Scrimmies season to shine but he's not yet played at a professional level so Championship is a big ask. Ndjoli has done alright in Scotland, but also it seems a big step up. So cover and competition definitely needed. Likely in the form of Ivan Toney, there's been persistent links for a couple of years now, or any other suggestions

Since you posted, Dobre's been sold so that's one from that squad list to strike off.

Oh yeah, also add Chris Martin to the list, just out of contract at Derby, has been scoring in the Championship wherever he goes, gets plenty of assists too, not a bad player for Surridge and Dom to learn from either

Wasn't there a rumour that we were meant to be after him in our last Championship season? I vaguely recall some bad blood with the Derby fans over it. I think may have got a new contract out of the speculation!

As above if JT gets the job the first thing he'll do with tie Franno, Surman and Daniels to 1-2 year contracts, and fair enough I suppose. Tindall will need all the lieutenants and experienced pros in the camp that he can get onside, to help bend the dressing room to his command.

I think recruitment will be minimal. Not only is there basically no time, just the vibes I'm getting from all this is that Max wants to the club is live more within the means he's spent the last 10 years providing. No further significant injections for now at least.

That'll mean we sell a 3-4 to balance books a bit, target a couple of additions, probably youngsters, but predominantly expecting Tindall to fashion something using the squad he's got (not untalented or insubstantial as it is).

If we can only recruit 1-2 then it'll have to come up front or out wide, assuming that King and Wilson are off and Fraser is gone.

Of course I could be totally wrong, and Max will not only appoint Tindall but then give him a huge warchest to go shopping with. But given everything in the current circumstances, I highly doubt it.
If it is the former, then frankly it’s highly likely that we get relegated. This side desperately needs fresh blood that can make a difference, the current crop has gone stale. At least Surridge can provide this to an extent, but if Max is genuinely serious about promotion then we can’t lose all of our best players and not replace them.

hahaha, if I recall correctly we were rumoured to be putting a bid in for him, so they tested us by putting in a bid for Franno in a tit for tat, clearly not for sale, gerroff our players

edit: Actually Johnny Russell we were linked with, I just checked my facebook from that summer

I agree with the players likely to leave then I think we are short up front . We will be reliant on two guys up front who probably don’t have 10 league goals between them

I agree with the players likely to leave then I think we are short up front . We will be reliant on two guys up front who probably don’t have 10 league goals between them
Solanke and Surridge will score in the championship. But I agree we obviously cannot go into the season with them as our only two forwards.

The Championship is a tough league. If we only lose Ake, King and Wilson then we have the basis of a very good squad. But we’ll still need additions.

We’ll be playing twice a week for basically the entire season. Our squad will be a mixture of very young and very old, not a lot in between. I can’t see many of them playing all 46 league games plus the cups. Especially when you factor in the injuries we’ve had this year.

If we’re going to challenge we’ll need 3-4 good additions IMO.

Karlan Grant and Ivan Toney would be fantastic. Not too versed on the lower league wing options, but there are plenty of League 1 players that can be capable of stepping up. Toney; but also Justin for Leicester and Stacey for us- both from Luton.

Do we have any prominent wingers coming through other than departing Dobre?

Kilkenny and Taylor are more inside forwards than out and out wingers, but that's how we played in Championship anyway.

According to the press currently, the vultures are circulating with the intention of cherry picking our best players. We could lose as many as six/seven players which would leave us in a perilous position with little time to recruit replacements. Whilst we stand to make a lot of dosh selling our stars, I fear for the future.

According to the press currently, the vultures are circulating with the intention of cherry picking our best players. We could lose as many as six/seven players which would leave us in a perilous position with little time to recruit replacements. Whilst we stand to make a lot of dosh selling our stars, I fear for the future.

Could easily be wrong but can’t see it happening. King, Wilson and Lerma to follow Ake. Think we have a strong chance of keeping anyone else that we want to keep.

;