Transfer Window - The Verdict

thegazzyb

Fans' Favourite
So how do we all feel about this transfer window now that it's done and dusted ?
Btw. the title of this thread is dedicated to our ailing Al Gard. I hope he doesn't mind me misappropriating "The Verdict" here and I send him my best wishes for the most positive of outcomes !

But I'm interested to hear all of your thoughts on our transfer business in this window :thumbup:

:utc:

We went into the transfer window needing to address one massive hole in the team - an up and down left back in the mould that JT wants his fullbacks to play, whether they are playing as wingbacks or in a four.

We spent weeks dancing around Matt Ritchie only to have his boyfriend storm over from the bar and tell us he isn't available just before closing time. Maybe we should have checked that out early on and moved to another target?

So, on that basis, it hasn't been great.

I'm tentatively pleased with Pearson and understand the logic of Long but have no clue if he will be successful with us.

Still, a failure to land the number one target makes it a failure.

Time for Rico/Kelly/Zemura to step into that hole in the side and make it work.

Last edited:
OUT
Gosling
= disappointed by how it was handled by I understand him leaving... Good luck to him
Simpson = I started to like what I saw form Jack, so if it was his choice then good luck to the lad
Ofoborh = Would like to have seen him feature more but was never really in the running so good luck to the lad... Needs to stay of twitter
King = Please it's done and we can move on

IN
Long
= Time will tell, but not gonna get on his back before he's kicked a ball
Pearson = Excited, but unsure how he fits into our formation with our current mob
Wilshere = Excited

If you take that we don't have the financial clout or Eddie factor anymore, it is always going to be hard to attract players, however, Pearson and Wilshere seem good additions... You then look that we tried to get Davies and Ritchie and if those had have come off we'd have probably said it was a good window...

As Kirsikka said tho... we have failed to address our weak point (LB) so work needs to now be done on the training ground...

Last edited:
I suspect with Ritchie Newcastle made some demands relating to Wilson's payments that would value Ritchie too highly.

I think this window showed that Max continues to back us, no hint of a fire sale.
We only lost players who were on the periphery and one or possibly two players who were possibly slightly disruptive in the dressing room.

Wilshere and Ben Pearson are signings which show real ambition and a desire to genuinely improve the squad. Now we can add Shane Long to that, so we have three experienced players who have a history of giving their all in every game.
I feel like this is exactly what was needed.

My only disappointment in this window is that we let Gosling go but he has managed to secure himself a lengthy contract elsewhere so good for him.

But another window passes and Brooks, Solanke, Lewis Cook, Lerma etc. are still all here.

Now that JK has finally gone, I hope we can get some unity back in the dressing room and see the players playing as a team and fighting for one another. Maybe the much derided "team building" escapades could be reintroduced at the earliest opportunity, you know, a socially distanced team yomp across Bodmin Moor or something ! For me this is now the most important thing. We need to get a proper team spirit going. Without that it doesn't matter how good the players are on paper, you just can't win a league without team spirit. Getting these players to get their heads down and fight for one another will be JT's biggest challenge IMO. If he can do it, we stand a good chance of promotion. If he can't we'll probably end up mid-table.

Oh and bringing in Jonathan Woodgate to replace Jones is another positive sign that Max is still putting football before profit. Let's hope that he can contribute something positive to the team's training.

We went into the transfer window needing to address one massive hole in the team - an up and down left back in the mould that JT wants his fullbacks to play, whether they are playing as wingbacks or in a four.

We spent weeks dancing around Matt Ritchie only to have his boyfriend storm over from the bar and tell us he isn't available just before closing time. Maybe we should have checked that out early on and moved to another target?

So, on that basis, it hasn't been great.

I'm tentatively pleased with Pearson and understand the logic of Long but have no clue if he will be successful with us.

Still, a failure to land the number one target makes it a failure.

Time for Rico/Kelly/Zemura to step into that hole in the side and make it work.
Yes, I forgot about Ritchie, that was disappointing, he would have been another good voice to have in the dressing room. But judging by the players we actually managed to buy, sell and keep hold of, I feel it was a better window than I was expecting to be honest.

Left back is a notoriously difficult role to fill in any league but you'd like to think we're still looking, even for the summer window. The signing of Pearson was a masterstroke as was Wilshere on loan. As with Jack, Long's only here for four months so I can't agree with the criticism elsewhere, he adds to the squad for the short term and is better than nothing. I'm not too upset about the outgoings.

The main issue, as stated is that Max is still funding signings and supporting the management. Let's see if the players and JT can turn things around, we might have a change in dynamics with a few new faces and experience including Woodgate.

Simpson and Ofoborh
Always a shame to see decent youth products leave and I'm surprised the club don't see them as part of a potential rebuild if we fall short this season. But from Jack and Nnamdi's perspective I can understand their frustration being 'on the verge of breaking through' for years now.

Gosling
BOTN podcast made a point the other day that Gosling was another of Howe's lieutenants and maybe JT wants to stamp his own authority. Personally I could understand looking to move him on given our other options, but I would never have sanctioned his move to a direct promotion rival. That is a mistake.

King
It was time to go. Our form earlier in the season without his involvement, compared to more recently since his return to the squad, it speaks for itself. Hopefully the dressing room settles down a bit.

Pearson
Quality signing, someone we've admired for a couple of years. I am frankly surprised we landed him.

Wilshere
No introduction needed. If he stays fit he'll be very useful.

Long
Jury is out. Experience and work rate and general 'good egg' can't hurt the camp. He won't contribute the goals we need, but hopefully he rubs off on others in the squad.

We still have issues at full back and perhaps goal shy. Aside from that the squad is strong as it was. Up to JT and the rest to find the right fit for all the pieces of the puzzle.

Last edited:
I think this window showed that Max continues to back us, no hint of a fire sale.
We only lost players who were on the periphery and one or possibly two players who were possibly slightly disruptive in the dressing room.

Wilshere and Ben Pearson are signings which show real ambition and a desire to genuinely improve the squad. Now we can add Shane Long to that, so we have three experienced players who have a history of giving their all in every game.
I feel like this is exactly what was needed.

My only disappointment in this window is that we let Gosling go but he has managed to secure himself a lengthy contract elsewhere so good for him.

But another window passes and Brooks, Solanke, Lewis Cook, Lerma etc. are still all here.

Now that JK has finally gone, I hope we can get some unity back in the dressing room and see the players playing as a team and fighting for one another. Maybe the much derided "team building" escapades could be reintroduced at the earliest opportunity, you know, a socially distanced team yomp across Bodmin Moor or something ! For me this is now the most important thing. We need to get a proper team spirit going. Without that it doesn't matter how good the players are on paper, you just can't win a league without team spirit. Getting these players to get their heads down and fight for one another will be JT's biggest challenge IMO. If he can do it, we stand a good chance of promotion. If he can't we'll probably end up mid-table.

Oh and bringing in Jonathan Woodgate to replace Jones is another positive sign that Max is still putting football before profit. Let's hope that he can contribute something positive to the team's training.

The next circa 5 games will ascertain if the promotion is on or not...and yeah, the team building/ spirit thing is the overriding key to that...will be easier now King is away from things and most of them know they are probably here for next season..

Bodmin Moor...I live on the edge of that and do mini yomps ..a couple of miles twice a week ! Its a tough place...the 'Beasts of Bodmin Moor' ..ive fought off two myself..a puma and a jaguar...if the players go in the pub at Minions Village on Caradon Hill..they can read about the beast sightings in their dog - eared ' log book '... and after a few pints of the excellent local beer they will fear nought.. ' Grim Reaper'. or 'Beheaded'....both reddish ales at 7.5 % with a liquorishy, treacley finish and hints of tin and copper !
Fleeueeraaghy...tchuk tchuck..jeeeehaaaak! !...thats the noise you make goin' home after too many ..unless you have your own avatar noise !

This has gone slightly off thread ...but let's hope our players pick up a thread or two tonight v the Owls...( btw the Owls on Bodmin Moor are the size of Vultures...and can eat a whole Fraser at one swoop!)
:utc:. :wahey:

Pearson and Wilshere...excellent signings.
Long.....potentially very useful.

Josh needed to go.
Sad we lost Gosling and Simpson.
Ofoborh never really given a chance so hard to say but a move for him was probably good.

Thought it was interesting there was absolutely no talk of a bid for David Brooks.
Time will tell how good this window has been chums!

So how do we all feel about this transfer window now that it's done and dusted ?
Btw. the title of this thread is dedicated to our ailing Al Gard. I hope he doesn't mind me misappropriating "The Verdict" here and I send him my best wishes for the most positive of outcomes !

But I'm interested to hear all of your thoughts on our transfer business in this window :thumbup:

:utc:
I think we did one good bit of Pearson as for Long I am not sure. I am sorry to see King leave , he didn't seem to be the player he was from his disappointment of not moving in the summer. We have to admit we are small club & a selling club. We don't have the clout or money to attract the top players. We bring in good players & make them better players. But all said & done this is our club we support them what ever.

So was the Pompey player signing posted in error?

We haven't signed Ritchie, but we don't know why it was suddenly ruled out yesterday. So I dont think that can necessarily be classed as a failure.

So was the Pompey player signing posted in error?

We haven't signed Ritchie, but we don't know why it was suddenly ruled out yesterday. So I dont think that can necessarily be classed as a failure.
Good question Rob. Allegedly a fee was agreed between the two clubs and then NOTHING. It was either a BS rumour or maybe we couldn't agree player terms. Perhaps we withdrew the offer at the last minute ?
If anybody has any more info on this one, we'd be glad to hear it.

I am positive. We have gained proven players such as Wilshire and Long who seem the right type and will be good for the younger players. Who knows that barn door Long used to constantly miss maybe bigger when wearing red and black stripes...
Plus Pearson seems just what we have lacked.
Add to that a new coach in Woodgate who has seen it all. Who knows this could yet prove to be a good window.
And can't quite believe the guys heading to Rangers were truly on a path to a higher destiny. Last year JS was up against Salah and Sterling at packed stadiums...next year Alloa away!

Good question Rob. Allegedly a fee was agreed between the two clubs and then NOTHING. It was either a BS rumour or maybe we couldn't agree player terms. Perhaps we withdrew the offer at the last minute ?
If anybody has any more info on this one, we'd be glad to hear it.

He's gone to join Luke Garbutt in imaginary signing heaven... I think Ronaldinho is up there too.

Thoughts and prayers.

;