Mark Travers

Some chap on Twitter [ and yes, I take it with a pinch of salt ] said that Bego came and said goodbyes on Friday and a deal involving him and Butland has been agreed. Got this from the usual 'insider'. We will see in due course! No way would Stoke get 30m for Butland....and I assume we would value Bego at 10m or so...think if we could get Butland for 10m plus Bego, that is good business.

Travers' performance yesterday reduces the pressure significantly on signing a replacement for Begovic, which should also help us in any negotiations.

Obviously he made a string of good saves, but I think I was most impressed with how comfortable he was with the ball at his feet. For a young goalkeeper making his debut i would have expected some visible nerves, but that wasn't apparent at all.

Well done Mark.

His kicking was superb - managed (1) to keep it on the pitch (2) direct it at one of our players and (3) knowing that there was a stand full of expectations/critics behind him!

Some chap on Twitter [ and yes, I take it with a pinch of salt ] said that Bego came and said goodbyes on Friday and a deal involving him and Butland has been agreed. Got this from the usual 'insider'. We will see in due course! No way would Stoke get 30m for Butland....and I assume we would value Bego at 10m or so...think if we could get Butland for 10m plus Bego, that is good business.

Get your money on it if that’s the case. Butland to AFCB currently 4/1 on sky bet

He got lucky early on with Moura shot. A few of us had already commented on how far off his line he was and Moura had spotted it too. He didn't repeat the same thing afterwards. Overall though a very good debut.
A lot to do to make the No 1 or 2 spot his own. He wasn't tested on crosses so hard to judge his ability there - I could imagine Burnley testing him out on those for example.

It does make you wonder if funds are limited do we need to splash out on Butland. With Ramsdale looking fantastic are we not better extending Borucs contract and going with the three we have? We can then use the cash to buy an outfield player.
If he does just as well against Palace I would prefer us to give Boruc another year to be mentor to Mark and our number two ( he is happy here on the south coast ), have Mark as our number one and Ramsdale a bit nearer to the first team. Two promising youngsters and a reliable veteran seems like good cover to me. The money we save by not buying another keeper can be used to keep Fraser happy and buy in cover for positions where we are still lacking. Although Davy’s 10m for Butland does sound like potentially very good business, so the club may see an opportunity to make a few quid on him if he has a great season with us, knowing that Mark is waiting in the wings to replace him. So Butland is ok if the price is right, otherwise we should stick with the keepers we’ve got, I reckon.

he has to play against palace. lets judge him a little better after that.

It doesn't just stop at the transfer though. Stoke have to pay Begovic a wage he's happy with and that wont come cheap.

Rumours Huddersfield might want Ramsdale for a season, I would bite their hand off, first team football at that level at that age for a keeper is hard to come by. Hopefully get Travers in at Lg1 level. Butland on a 2-3 year deal, plays next season, Boruc one more year as backup, I believe you can still emergency recall keepers from loans just in case anything happens

Rumours Huddersfield might want Ramsdale for a season, I would bite their hand off, first team football at that level at that age for a keeper is hard to come by. Hopefully get Travers in at Lg1 level. Butland on a 2-3 year deal, plays next season, Boruc one more year as backup, I believe you can still emergency recall keepers from loans just in case anything happens
Huddersfield would be a great loan for Ramsdale ! If Butland comes I think we need to find a Championship club for Travers at least ( after all, he is now a “proven” PL goalkeeper ). If Butland doesn’t work out or either one of Butland or Boruc gets injured, we can recall Travers ( recalls for loaned goalies are always permitted ) since he would be next in the pecking order. If all the while Ramsdale is busy helping Huddersfield get promoted, happy days on the goalkeeping front !
:utc:

It doesn't just stop at the transfer though. Stoke have to pay Begovic a wage he's happy with and that wont come cheap.
Sometimes the selling club has to subsidise the wages of a player they sell. There might be a deal to be done where they let us have Butland if we cover say 30k of Begovic’s wages at Stoke

But/Bego switch could be great ! One of our youngsters proving they’re a hidden Jen and don’t cost us a penny would be even better ...it’s a gamble but if we have Boruc in the wings what have we got to lose .

Just had a Wimbledon fan on 606 saying how good Ramsdale is. Presenter then mentioned Travers and what good young keepers we have at the club. Ironic given how dodgy our senior keepers have been at times.

It’s actually a really interesting dilemma for Eddie. Bringing in someone of Butland’s age is saying you want him to be our keeper for the next 7 years or more. That would seriously dent Travers and Ramesdale’s development. Part of me thinks bringing in an experienced stop gap for a couple of years might be an option. There’s also a danger of getting too far ahead of ourselves with our youngsters.

Reactions: DJ
That would be a great deal all round.

I have no real problem in giving Travers a go - certainly at Palace BUT expect mistakes that cost us goals at certain times. There is a reason most teams go for experience - it matters. What would we be saying if that half way line shot from Moura after just 5 mins had gone in - it could have been a totally different headline - rookie keeper caught off line all over YouTube.
I would like to see what he can do when exposed to high crosses that he has to deal with under pressure for example (he had none to catch on Saturday).
Good luck to the guy (and Ramsdale), I am not being negative just trying to be realistic.

...all I know is that Burnley threw in Pope and he ends up getting picked for his country.....no reason why Travers can’t be our no1?

Nick Pope was 25 when Burnley threw him in, and he had already played 33 times for Charlton.

Jordan Pickford is a better example. He came into the Sunderland first team at 22 because of injury and never looked back. But that was after various loan spells at clubs like Carlisle, Bradford City & Preston North End.

I’d like to see Travers earn his spurs (so to speak) with a loan spell or two first.

;