Mark Travers

I have no real problem in giving Travers a go - certainly at Palace BUT expect mistakes that cost us goals at certain times. There is a reason most teams go for experience - it matters. What would we be saying if that half way line shot from Moura after just 5 mins had gone in - it could have been a totally different headline - rookie keeper caught off line all over YouTube.
I would like to see what he can do when exposed to high crosses that he has to deal with under pressure for example (he had none to catch on Saturday).
Good luck to the guy (and Ramsdale), I am not being negative just trying to be realistic.

All the top keepers drop clangers, after all they are only human.

Of course they do, the difference with a very young goalkeeper is that it can destroy their confidence in an instant.
Surely that depends on their mind set.
To be a keeper you can't keep thinking about what might of happened if I did this or if I did that. You have to blot mistakes out of your mind and get on with the game, otherwise they would be nipping off to the loo every time they let a easy goal in.

I have no real problem in giving Travers a go - certainly at Palace BUT expect mistakes that cost us goals at certain times. There is a reason most teams go for experience - it matters. What would we be saying if that half way line shot from Moura after just 5 mins had gone in - it could have been a totally different headline - rookie keeper caught off line all over YouTube.
I would like to see what he can do when exposed to high crosses that he has to deal with under pressure for example (he had none to catch on Saturday).
Good luck to the guy (and Ramsdale), I am not being negative just trying to be realistic.
Mistakes from Begovic have cost us goals at numerous times this season anyway so quite frankly don’t see what we have to lose!

the crucial thing here is the realisation that having a top class keeper, be it travers or a.n.other, will significantly upgrade our team, and net us potentially many more valuable league points. seen so many good oppo keepers at dean court that have won their team points - not feeling ours have done that. crucial eh makes the right decision. in eddie we trust.

Nick Pope was 25 when Burnley threw him in, and he had already played 33 times for Charlton.

Jordan Pickford is a better example. He came into the Sunderland first team at 22 because of injury and never looked back. But that was after various loan spells at clubs like Carlisle, Bradford City & Preston North End.

I’d like to see Travers earn his spurs (so to speak) with a loan spell or two first.

Sunderland were relegated with Pickford in the team. You would hope he looks back at that.

Surely that depends on their mind set.
To be a keeper you can't keep thinking about what might of happened if I did this or if I did that. You have to blot mistakes out of your mind and get on with the game, otherwise they would be nipping off to the loo every time they let a easy goal in.
Definitely depends on their mindset and experience helps to cope with the inevitable mistake. It's the same with outfield players except a mistake doesn't always result in a goal.
I am sure EH will be very careful to both encourage and protect Travers.

I see some saying that if they're that good, do we really need a first choice keeper?
I think they need experience, hence both out on loan next season will mean that they would be ready to step in to the team if required, so next season out on loan, season after on the bench then flog Butland for top dollar (unless he's super impressive) and allow one of them to actually start playing regularly here

He was called up for the last squad wasn’t he?

Now he has his own special performance match attack card given his exploits on Saturday.

;