Two players over free kick

dragonm8

UTC Legend
Now is this the most stupid thing that we do, every free kick, around the opposition penalty box?

Just seem like it’s such a waste of a player who could be positioned somewhere else to cause a threat.

It doesn’t fool the opposition and any advantage it may give would be completely overshadowed by the disadvantage of having two attackers behind a ball we lift into their box.

I just don’t get it at all.

I guess the thinking is that defenders won't know whether is an in swinger or out swinger. Whether that's a good reason I'm not sure.

We've scored from the dummy before - can't remember the game but Daniels ran into an offside position as the first free kick taker runs up. He slowly walks back as the actual free kick taker runs in then loops it over to someone being played onside by the confusion caused by Daniel's run and bobs your uncle.

Kamara on GoS did a great analysis of Mousset’s goal v Stoke last season. Said the defence was positioned perfectly for Daniels inswinging delivery.

Only problem was it was actually an Ibe outswinger and Lys was totally unmarked for the header.

I think it makes things a little more difficult for the goalkeeper, who is completely blind sided by his wall.

Provided it is engineered and executed correctly it instills doubt in the goalkeeper and defenders, can generate chaos, creates gaps in the wall and increases the chance of scoring a goal as a result.

It's the poor execution that makes it a waste of a player. It's actually a difficult skill to execute effectively.

You don't need to sacrifice an attacking player either- Daniels, Smith or Rico would be a ideal candidates as the second kick taker.

We had a golden opportunity against Newcastle from 2 players over the ball with a little roll back... 1 player means the defence knows exactly how to line up, 2 means they have to cater for both.

We had a golden opportunity against Newcastle from 2 players over the ball with a little roll back... 1 player means the defence knows exactly how to line up, 2 means they have to cater for both.
A successful version which does spring to mind was Surman rolling it to Fraser for his goal against Swansea last season.

I do tend to agree we’ve been slightly less inventive this season with set pieces. There is a limited amount of time we can spend on set pieces. Overall the work we’ve done on our defensive shape and fast counters has been worthwhile

;