Tyrone Mings

Signed up and had some decent discussion on here when we signed Mings from you guys.

Just wondering if your opinion had changed regarding him? I thought we'd overpaid at the time but it's starting to look like a steal.

My opinion hasn't changed. He's a decent player but I don't think he's top level. I'd still take £26m or whatever it was now. Good luck to him though it's great to see people do well after loads of setbacks.

I rated him at FB with Ipswich and was glad when he signed. Took a long time to see much of him but while he was athletic and determined he lacked the consistency and technical ability to be a ball playing defender so would never work for us long term.

That £20M now feels like good business for both sides signals it was about the right person for the right role.

Signed up and had some decent discussion on here when we signed Mings from you guys.

Just wondering if your opinion had changed regarding him? I thought we'd overpaid at the time but it's starting to look like a steal.
He's thus far stayed clear of injury which was always one of his main drawbacks. He's still pretty gaff prone from what I have seen, which is his other drawback. All credit for establishing himself in the last couple seasons though.

It was the right deal for us at the time, with Ake, wouldnt change it.

Last edited:
Still think he gets away with a lot of errors/clumsy fouls each game. Done well in the two England euro games but if we had a better defender we could get way from the restrictive dual defensive central midfield pairing

Best he moved from our club for his sake, we were not a happy/lucky club for him since he had been here.

Serious injury in his first game for us against Leicester C when he came on as sub for Charlie Daniels who went off injured.

Then more injuries plus the long ban after he came into our side in the Man U game.

Just compare the time at both clubs and number of games he played in that time.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=69420

Last edited:
Great lad, very unlucky with injuries and took one for the country when he stood up to Ibrahimavich. He must have matured and benefited by working with Terry, in a footballing sense of course, and at the moment looks like a future England captain to me. Much better player than Maguire imo.

Great lad, very unlucky with injuries and took one for the country when he stood up to Ibrahimavich. He must have matured and benefited by working with Terry, in a footballing sense of course, and at the moment looks like a future England captain to me. Much better player than Maguire imo.

I think the impact of Terry has really helped him. His leadership and organisational qualities have really started to stand out for us.

Like most say, really happy to see Mings being given the chance. From what I have seen in a Villa and England shirt is that when he is on it he brings a lot to the team. The trouble is the consistency still isn’t there and it always feels like a slip or mistake isn’t far away.
Do wish him all the best as a good lad.

A dismal wet day. What odds that day that bambi would play for England in a major tournament!! Maybe I ll make the Ryder Cup!

I felt for him with the injuries with us . Unlucky that ake played that side, but even when ake was injured he was overlooked , didn’t really understand that .
Ok he gas a few errors in his locker. Just like Steve cook then

My opinion hasn't changed. He's a decent player but I don't think he's top level. I'd still take £26m or whatever it was now. Good luck to him though it's great to see people do well after loads of setbacks.

did we really get £26m for him?
and I thought our recruitment team were useless and couldn't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag.....

did we really get £26m for him?
and I thought our recruitment team were useless and couldn't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag.....

£26.5million once all the add ons came into it.

Probably a few pennies left on maybe England appearances or a goal maybe? Perhaps Aston Villa qualifying for Europe otherwise you’d have to think most have been triggered.

Edit - What SDD said.

£26.5million once all the add ons came into it.

Probably a few pennies left on maybe England appearances or a goal maybe? Perhaps Aston Villa qualifying for Europe otherwise you’d have to think most have been triggered.

Edit - What SDD said.
Which plays into the question about judging whether the fee was value for money or not. The fee has likely significantly increased since the initial point of transfer, precisly because Mings has gone on to establish himself. Everyones hopefully happy.

For me, we didnt use TM like we should have done. There was no doubting that Ake is a better all round player, but for certain games I would have happily had TM over Ake.

Take Burnley, where the game was always more aerial and physical, IMHO TM would have been a better bet than Ake.

I dont think EH played the squad game like he should have done.

For me, we didnt use TM like we should have done. There was no doubting that Ake is a better all round player, but for certain games I would have happily had TM over Ake.

Take Burnley, where the game was always more aerial and physical, IMHO TM would have been a better bet than Ake.

I dont think EH played the squad game like he should have done.

Thought this was an interesting angle so had a quick look on soccer base. 16/17 season first game against Burnley he hadn’t played a league game since his injury. Second game he hadn’t played for 2 months due to his suspension following the “stamp”.

17/18 didn’t play in the first game as it came during a period where he didn’t play a single game for 8 months. Second game and potentially without looking deeper, the first time he was available against Burnley, he started.

18/19 didn’t play a league game until December so missed the first Burnley game, second Burnley game he was on loan at Villa.

He was riddled with injuries whilst with us despite his claimed to the contrary. His weird back injury was a mystery for a long time along with his knee.

I don’t think when you’re struggling like that a bit part role where you’re expected to perform in random games whilst playing second fiddle 90% time works.

Great points DJ, but i didnt mean only Burnley. I don't have time to dig out when he was available and who we were playing around those times but its an open point where I think we 'could' have played him more to suit certain games.

;