Tyrone Mings

Thought this was an interesting angle so had a quick look on soccer base. 16/17 season first game against Burnley he hadn’t played a league game since his injury. Second game he hadn’t played for 2 months due to his suspension following the “stamp”.

17/18 didn’t play in the first game as it came during a period where he didn’t play a single game for 8 months. Second game and potentially without looking deeper, the first time he was available against Burnley, he started.

18/19 didn’t play a league game until December so missed the first Burnley game, second Burnley game he was on loan at Villa.

He was riddled with injuries whilst with us despite his claimed to the contrary. His weird back injury was a mystery for a long time along with his knee.

I don’t think when you’re struggling like that a bit part role where you’re expected to perform in random games whilst playing second fiddle 90% time works.

sums it up nicely. all hindsight but I expect things would have panned out very differently had he not suffered ongoing injury/fitness issues. we couldn't afford to wait for him to get back to fitness and signed Ake, who he was never going to displace once fit. Resulted in being in out of side, never getting a prolonged run. Plus rumours of a break down in relationship between him and Howe, probably sealed his fate with us.

as mentioned above, despite his strong qualities, amazed he's getting chances with England now, seems too prone to lapses of concentration, clumsiness to be relied upon at the highest levels.

I think Mings improves the more I see him and yes may still have a lapse in his game...but no more than Maguire..Stones or anyone else in the England defence IMO...I like watching him play and had the cards fallen different he would be an AFCB centre back still playing in The PL

biggest weakness is his total one-footedness, top strikers get on the wrong side which makes him look awful

he's good at pointing though, and not in a brickworky way
Yes he is a good pointer.

I'm hoping Maguire is back in the line up at Ming's expense because he offers a little more. For example, in the WC he was comfortable bringing the ball out and making an extra man at time in midfield. Also seems a better threat at attacking set pieces.

Thing is if he has a decent tournament entry like Maguire did in the last World Cup he will be in the 80 million bracket,I wonder if we had a sell on ?

No wonder he's got problems when he's getting stick in some parts of the media and the Sun are calling him an "England ace".

He's just a bloke doing his best; although there are times when that's been hard to remember.

Hopefully he's got a decent set of people round him who can keep him healthy.

I think Tyrone is a very interesting character - he comes over as incredibly articulate and self-confident, but clearly there are vulnerabilities beneath that exterior.

I have a feeling that he has a great career after he finishes in football. More than just another TV pundit, there's more to him than that. Maybe a Marcus Rashford type figure, unafraid to comment on social & political questions.

Could see him as a new type of politician actually.

From the first day we heard the voice of Tyrone Mings he was an impressive and likeable figure, more articulate than the average player. The pressure must be immense because there is now a growing expectation from the media that Tyrone must have an opinion on this or that. Hopefully it continues to fuel his career and doesn't stifle it. I have a lot of respect for the guy and am sure he has a big future beyond football. Who knows...Mings for PM, Rashford for Home Secretary

Mental 'ealth Ming's...well wouldn't ya know it bruv.
He played well for England recently...but edged out by some who are better in the final games. Good player but not the best in his position.
He needs to shut up and get on with his new season...and strive to be the best...he could be if he works on it !

Mental 'ealth Ming's...well wouldn't ya know it bruv.
He played well for England recently...but edged out by some who are better in the final games. Good player but not the best in his position.
He needs to shut up and get on with his new season...and strive to be the best...he could be if he works on it !

He needs to keep doing what's working for him and ignore the opinions of people who haven't got a clue what they're talking about. No offence.

The mental health element of high-performance athletes is certainly coming front and centre. Most recently with Osaka (tennis) and Biles (gymnastics). Many I can think of in the past with hockey and baseball. We see these people as phenomenal physical specimens, which at the height of their success are covered with glory and riches. But the constant scrutiny and expectations must take a huge toll. Surprising we do not hear more about this.

The mental health element of high-performance athletes is certainly coming front and centre. Most recently with Osaka (tennis) and Biles (gymnastics). Many I can think of in the past with hockey and baseball. We see these people as phenomenal physical specimens, which at the height of their success are covered with glory and riches. But the constant scrutiny and expectations must take a huge toll. Surprising we do not hear more about this.
Yes. I was wondering why this never seemed to be such a big issue in the past. Apart from the whole "real men/women don't talk about mental health issues" aspect, which may have had a large part to play in it, I think the key difference these days is the huge media attention cast upon anybody who is deemed to have an exceptional talent and this attention and the riches associated with it tend to be thrust upon them at a very young age when they are ill-prepared for it.

If I put myself in their position at that age, as level-headed as I am today, I could still imagine struggling to cope with it all. When you are a teenager and haven't even had a chance to figure out who you are yet, you would need very good people around you for all of the hype surrounding you not to damage you in some way.

I ' almost' knew exactly who would take my post a certain way..but you were only my 2nd choice ...:whist:

How many ways are there to take it? You're literally saying he needs to shut up about his mental health issues and just play football. Thankfully, other people seem to be advising him that keeping things bottled up is not healthy and by speaking publicly he can help break the taboo that surrounds mental health, especially for men. He's also drawing attention to the fact that online abuse has real life consequences. A brave thing to do. Good luck to him.

;