UEFA Nations League

DJ

My interest in the England team has diminished in recent years and have recently opted instead to watch Scotland, Wales or Republic of Ireland to watch our players on international duty...

...so I'm not sure if this passed me by before or whether I just completely forgot about it...

<I>UEFA Nations League

The competition will divide Europe’s 54 countries into four divisions known as ‘Leagues’, with 12 teams in League A, 12 in League B, 14 in League C and 16 in League D. Sides will be placed in leagues depending on their Uefa national team coefficients, with the top 12 – which England are likely to be among – in League A.

Every league will then be subdivided into four groups of three or four countries, who will play each other home and away between September and November of even-numbered years.

Each group winner in Leagues B, C and D will be promoted, while every side which finishes bottom in Leagues A, B and C will be rele­gated. The group winners of League A will advance to a ‘Final Four’ tournament in the summer of odd-numbered years to determine the Nations League champions.</I>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/12098435/New-Sky-deal-set-to-end-free-to-air-England-games.html

This passed me by too. I suppose I shouldn't be negative but it all sounds like a lot of fixtures if this is to be in addition to qualification for the World Cup and Euros. International breaks are bad enough as it is. Who knows - maybe it will reinvigorate international football like the Champions League did for the European Cup - it's something I have also gone off in recent years too.

Interesting how the Telegraph are describing this as the loss of an international tournament to terrestrial TV when this is a brand new competition.

I suppose it's got to be better. I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I've gone off international football is that for 90% of the time it's either a meaningless friendly or a game against a 'lesser' team that look to defend and nick something out of the game - hardly edge of your seat stuff. England get criticism for their style of football but more often than not they are up against defensive teams in qualifiers.

I also think international competitions are too much down to chance because it can all be over after a couple of games - I've had countless arguments with people who say England were sh*t at the last world cup. Were they? They lost two 50/50 games against other top 10 sides by the odd goal and that was that. Maybe a league would give a much better indication of who was the best team.

Garbo - 15/1/2016 00:43

...not really followed England since France 98...

Same here. Its simply not been the same. Passionless, with a long line of poor managers.

Now when Eddie takes over, that will all change ;)

Got me wondering who would be the first AFCB player to win a full England cap.

Do players still actually get a cap?

GARYafCb - 15/1/2016 00:14

New to me too.
But won't it be better to play competitive games rather than pointless, pedestrian friendlies?

I agree, it might read as rather convoluted, but it should mean that the competitive games for qualifiers are meaningful and the other games are of more of an interest as the quality of the games should be higher and at some stage towards the end of the cycle feel like they have a level of importance?

That said, I've always thought the FIFA World Club Championships comes across as a good idea on paper but in reality it's dross. :hihi:

Meh, I'll happily watch England games (when they're on free to air) and wish them well, but struggle to get particularly bothered or excited.

Try to watch most England games on TV, some with greater success than others, but haven't really been too bothered about them for some time now. This does sound like quite an interesting idea though, could hopefully mean the end to meaningless friendlies.

I'm pretty sure we discussed this on here a couple of years ago.

Miles better than friendlies, but also can't get rid of all friendlies as I'm sure European teams will want to play the South American teams occasionally.

Silent AFCB - 15/1/2016 11:26

I'm pretty sure we discussed this on here a couple of years ago.

More than likely, but unfortunately I couldn't find an old thread via the search function to post it on there.

Silent AFCB - 15/1/2016 11:26
Miles better than friendlies, but also can't get rid of all friendlies as I'm sure European teams will want to play the South American teams occasionally.

The report does state that there will still be some friendlies, I think you will be spot on with thinking that these will end up being non European ties.

I wonder how this will affect the FIFA rankings because isn't that based on points earned against other ranked countries? If teams only play against other teams of a similar level in Europe is that detrimental to them when it comes to World Cup seedings?

I think the rankings is only done on official matches isn't it? So Continent and World cup Qualifiers and finals. I guess this will just be ignored by FIFA.

Good point about the same level, I didn't think about that. Probably quite good for the big nations as they will be playing each other frequently in competitive games.

FIFA doesn't hide how the rankings are calculated:

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

I think this tournament is a good idea. I watch every England game. I support my country as much as I support my club. The two can co-exist easily.

StewieJT - 15/1/2016 16:31

I support my country as much as I support my club. The two can co-exist easily.

They can, the problem for me at least as during the same period that AFCB have improved and become more and more exciting, England has been in decline and become more and more boring. :hihi:

International football on the whole unfortunately appears to be on the decline, not helped I'm sure by the mess that is FIFA.

I don't feel anything like the connection to England as I do with AFCB. I followed Bournemouth abroad for two out of the last three summers and I've loved it. When the conversation came up with my mates about following England this summer no one can really be bothered.

There's all sorts of reasons for that but I think it's because there are all sorts of different types of d*ckhead England fans that I dislike (violent d*ckheads, armchair d*ckheads, racist d*ckheads, big club d*ckheads, unionist d*ckheads, posh d*ckheads, scummers, cockneys, northerners - all d*ckheads) I think I only like Bournemouth d*ckheads.

Could well be going "global".

<I>Uefa says it has "initiated" talks with Fifa and other regional confederations about expanding its new Nations League into a global competition.</I>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41871546

;