Unremittingly grim away days

adam0102

Fans' Favourite
Just following on from the mentions of Gillingham on the "Karen" thread, I thought this might be better on a new thread.

Forget the result, let's remember the worst days out

Getting snowed on at Gillingham was one of the most bleak, it's a hideous hole even in good weather

Just following on from the mentions of Gillingham on the "Karen" thread, I thought this might be better on a new thread.

Forget the result, let's remember the worst days out

Getting snowed on at Gillingham was one of the most bleak, it's a hideous hole even in good weather

Over the years there has been some grim away days but the one that was the worst for me was this season away at Burnley. I never want to have that feeling again !!

Gillyhoof was/is/ forever will be a cräp day/night out: the journey there and back, the town, the ground, the neanderthals. Specifically, 12 November 1999. Friday night match and we lost 4-1.

While on the topic of infamously rubbish performances and results, 2008 Had two of them:

14th November - Accrington Stanley
16th of December - Blyth Spartans

But, as asked by the OP to disregard the result, amongst the most bollöcky places to visit are Barrow, Lincoln, Milton Keynes, Oldham, Walsall and Wigan. I can't recall enjoying any visit to those places.

Last edited:
The problem is that away days are never grim if we win. Getting dicked 5-0 away to Wrexham or Stockport on a miserable Tuesday night is as grim as it gets.

Losing 5-0 at Morecambe was pretty grim the year we went up from Div 2. Never saw us win at Eastville.

Stockport mentioned by Stan; York away opening day; Northampton away; Burnley away when it was postponed;

0-3 Wigan 2018 FA Cup replay. Night, dark, Rain, rain, rain, cold, stadium 3 km from the train station, hot drink machine broken. Afobe broken - could have had three if he played at the level of a 3 year old. Rain.

The 9-0 at Lincoln in 1982 always stands out for all the wrong reasons.
Scunthorpe in 1973 was a cold one, although the match ended 1-1 it proved difficult to get through the snow on the way home, the team coach crashed resulting in Ken Brown fracturing his leg.
In modern times I would say Wolves last season. Never felt so cold and wet and the team were poor.

Another game at Accrington. Was a Monday night and about -5c. For some reason the match went ahead despite a frozen surface and there wasn’t much excitement on the pitch to warm us up in the stands

Blimey, where to start? There's so many .

Agreed.

It's hard to pick.

I'm sure the Germans must have a word for the difference in emotions between five to three after a few pints and that on drive home after seeing not one shot on goal.

Can't narrow it down to a game; but anything involving the words Layer Road or Priestfield are right up there.

The words "Ninian Park" also bring on PTSD.

0-3 Wigan 2018 FA Cup replay. Night, dark, Rain, rain, rain, cold, stadium 3 km from the train station, hot drink machine broken. Afobe broken - could have had three if he played at the level of a 3 year old. Rain.

don't remind me.....that was proper bleak....
vowed never to do an away cup trip ever again, doubly so if it's a replay up north

Agreed.

It's hard to pick.

I'm sure the Germans must have a word for the difference in emotions between five to three after a few pints and that on drive home after seeing not one shot on goal.

Can't narrow it down to a game; but anything involving the words Layer Road or Priestfield are right up there.

The words "Ninian Park" also bring on PTSD.

Funnily enough, Colchester would have been in my top three, along with Hartlepool

However, both are like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon compared to Gillingham

Our ground wasn't that good for away supporters.
Remember seeing about a hundred Luton Town supporters standing on the Brighton Beach end while it really peed it down for 90 mins.
A drab goaless draw.

;