Unusual disliking of other club(s)

I used to dislike Leeds. Til we had hospitality there one game, I met the real fans, and the genuine people behind the scenes. Hard to hate them since. I guess the lesson is...... to keep petty hatred going, never make an effort to meet & talk with the "enemy", they might not be as bad as you think!

Same at all grounds. Think about the genuine fans at Wolves, Lincoln, indeed anywhere. Can you despise a whole club and or town because of a small number of their so-called supporters. I wonder how many of those Leeds "fans" who rioted down here were actually the real deal or whether they just came to go on the píss?

The Seaweed supporters, when we beat them at their place on the Friday in the promotion season. were great: before and after. NSC is not representative and it is almost time to let Boxing Day '71 go.

There is always the odd exception to prove the rule, ahem ... the Biscuits.

Depends what you mean by ....back in the day.....have no real recollection of them being a bogey club.

We could never beat Colchester back in the day - I think it was something like one win in twelve games until we did the double over them in 2012/13 - was nice to see us start to beat teams like that !

Leeds. Came face to face with about a hundred of them on the path by the tennis courts in Kings Park. One of them barged my fiancee (now wife) and I called him a cnut. He and several others stopped and turned on me. I was a big bloke then with what looked like a boxer's broken nose. I stared them out and eventually they turned away and ran off with the rest of the herd. Went home and changed my boxers!

Does Dorchester Town count due to their staff attitude towards us when we had to ground share up there?

And the locals in general who thought we were there just to take every space in Tesco’s car park and stop them getting their weekly top up of paraffin from the machine outside the entrance.

Most of them only had the one central eye and webbed hands.

I used to dislike Leeds. Til we had hospitality there one game, I met the real fans, and the genuine people behind the scenes. Hard to hate them since. I guess the lesson is...... to keep petty hatred going, never make an effort to meet & talk with the "enemy", they might not be as bad as you think!

Rob, the night of 'the match' I went to Ringwood to pick up a curry, living in 3LX at the time. Went into a pub for a pint waiting for it and there was a couple of Leeds fans in the pub, a man and his girlfriend.
We chatted about the match, the trouble, the way the Leeds 'fans' had behaved, the tee shirts, the carnage, everything. They bought me a beer, I got them one, sat with them for about 40 minutes, absolutely lovely couple, great chat. At the end I gave them my season ticket as a souvenir.
So, I have met real fans and yep they were fabulous, however, I can never and will never forget the way they took our town apart and the way their club did sod all about it. I've always said I could understand if we were Millwall, Mancs or Liverpool and they wanted a full on scrap. They thought they would come down to sleepy old Bournemouth and go on the rampage. There was no need at all.
So, I have spoken to their nice fans, a mate of mine, a pro photographer is a full on Leeds fan. He understands where I stand and can agree the scum were out of order. Sorry, my petty hatred as you call it continues.

Did you go to the match, I saw these riots

Last edited:
Arsenal.

Bertie Mee was their manager in the 70’s and at that time, I went to school with his daughter Alison who I was really good platonic ‘mates’ with. We were both part of a larger group that did everything together.

I heard through the grapevine that her father disapproved of her hanging around with the likes of me and the rest of our group and that she should have been friends with a better type of youngster. I’m afraid the ‘ill-feeling’ that I had towards Arsenal anyway, became hatred after that.

Now I know why your other team is Spurs. ;) :grinning:

yes, I went with a Leeds fan who was working as a contractor down here at the time. was a terrible day, of course. but I am a lily-livered, sandle-wearing, guardian reading, champagne communist..... and you are ex-forces, so we are bound to have different views I guess. you do have lovely gray hair tho. :love:

yes, I went with a Leeds fan who was working as a contractor down here at the time. was a terrible day, of course. but I am a lily-livered, sandle-wearing, guardian reading, champagne communist..... and you are ex-forces, so we are bound to have different views I guess. you do have lovely gray hair tho. :love:
It is a dye of course! :oops::grinning:

We could never beat Colchester back in the day - I think it was something like one win in twelve games until we did the double over them in 2012/13 - was nice to see us start to beat teams like that !
Yet we clinched promotion at the old Layer Rd ground back in the 70s

We did them I think 4-0 early in the 99/00 season, then for some reason we just couldn't buy a win against them. I remember them beating us 1-0 towards the end of the 01/02 relegation season without having a shot on target.

A game that sticks in the memory, as it was my Dads last ever
game at DC we lost 3-1 .......Colchester played us of the park....think they got promoted that season

A game that sticks in the memory, as it was my Dads last ever
game at DC we lost 3-1 .......Colchester played us of the park....think they got promoted that season
I remember that game. I walked across the park with a group of their supporters and was thinking they'd be quite down to earth and gracious being small and tinpot like us. They turned out to be proper arrogant T#ats, looking down their noses at me because they were going well at the top of the division. At one point I swear one of the knobs nearly patted me on the head. Love to meet them now.

I remember being 3-0 down ay half time in the pouring rain at Layer Road only for the ref to abandon the game. The locals were not happy!

Seem to remember a club official coming over to us at the away end at half-time to say that the match had been abandoned and that anyone who who had travelled in the club coaches wouldn't have to pay again when the match was re-arranged.

The funny thing was that we had around two minutes fun chanting 'You're not winning anymore' at bemused Colchester fans before confirmation that the game was abandoned was announced over the ground's tannoys! LOL!

Grimsby - mostly for the heartbreak of Wembley but also found their fans very obnoxious when they visited Dean Court.

Ditto. And then they had the cheek to go back to Wembley and win the play-offs. Greedy buggers! Mind you, our respective paths over the past decade have exorcised those demons somewhat.

This season I will mainly be wishing ill on Coventry, Plymouth, Crewe, Barrow, Harrogate, King's Lynn, Altrincham, Wealdstone and Weymouth.

;